The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How much boating experience before you bought your C-Dory?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZERO.
Was city boy all my life till moved to AK. But always loved fishing (fresh water) so living on ocean here made boat a no-brainer. Still learning. Having someone show me ropes was essential.
RichardM

City/Region: Akron
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Pangur Ban
Photos: Pangur Ban
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby has a great point. If you haven't done it, do get a boating course -- at the least, basic boating. My state requires it. There's a certain fund of information about aids to navigation (buoys, lights, etc.), safety (right of way, rules of the road, communication, emergencies) and some other things everyone should have in common.

US Power Squadrons is a national non-government organization that offers classes from startup (ABC: America's Boating Course) through Seamanship, Piloting, Advanced Piloting, and even celestial navigation, and a lot of others like weather, boat electronics, etc. Their website is now americasboatingclub.org and there's a tab at the top for "find your local squadron." There will be classes near you.

That said, a boat with an active owner group like this is a huge plus. It gives you a leg up when buying, using, improving, fixing and even selling. Like some other older boaters I moved over from sailboats and spent about a year boat hunting. Craigslist was a pretty good source (use the national searching tools) as well as the big boat sale websites. Finally bought a boat way out on Long Island and had uShip tow it to Ohio to simplify things.
Esmi2

City/Region: San Luis Obispo, CA
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

Anyone have anything to add to this FOUR+ year old thread?

I am a little incredulous that I have hesitated so long -- or rather, that I stayed interested so long, that I haven't wandered off to get interested in something new!

Any input appreciated (not including observations ending in "... or get off the pot!") !!!

cbbernard

City/Region: Wakefield
State or Province: RI
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SEA STORY
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice? Buy one. It can feel like a different world on the water—a better one. You will spend a lot of money and time keeping your boat skookum but there's nothing like the experiences it will allow you to have.

Also: Make friends with someone who knows boats—they're everywhere if you live near water—ask questions, and learn from their experience. Pay attention when you're on the water, always, and learn from your own experiences too.

My CD22 is not my first boat. I've had much bigger and much smaller, fiberglass, wood, and metal. But it's my favorite, and it's a fine first boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a little incredulous that I have hesitated so long -- or rather, that I stayed interested so long, that I haven't wandered off to get interested in something new!

In the 4 years not owning a C Dory, you missed out on many experiences and joyous days. But also all of the C Dorys have increased in value. So, unless you are very lucky-a used C Dory will cost you now.... Not sure about future value of all boats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Esmi2

City/Region: San Luis Obispo, CA
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Quote:

In the 4 years not owning a C Dory, you missed out on many experiences and joyous days. But also all of the C Dorys have increased in value. So, unless you are very lucky-a used C Dory will cost you now.... Not sure about future value of all boats.

Thanks, Bob.

It's the missing out on four years of the C-dory experience that bothers me.

About the money part: It is just money. And more importantly, the AAPL stock I need to sell to buy my boat has moved from $42 to $143 since this thread began. Taken thusly, C-dories are relatively less expensive now than in 2018. (Of course, now that I have said that out loud, prepare for more tumultuous Apple price swings!)

I keep a close eye here, and Craigslist, and Yachtworld. The correct intersection of Available Boats, My Resolve, and Luck has got to come sooner or later!
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed around the world before I bought a C-Dory, so I have a little experience. Been playing in boats since I could walk. Done seamanship courses, navigation courses, all sorts of other courses. So the key is, if you have not boated before, enroll on some courses.
I planned the 2012 Comox C-Dory gathering having never seen or been on a C-Dory. Fortunately by the time the gathering rolled around I had purchased a 22. So have your ducks in a row and cash in hand. You have to move quick.
BTW, when I sailed around the world I was on a Destroyer with 249 other guys, does that count!...........lol

Martin.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the plunge nearly 5 years ago and it is the best and smartest purchase I have ever made next to home ownership. So glad we bought a C-Dory when we did.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up around small boats. 10 ft to 14 ft alun boats fishing as a kid and not with grown ups. Once I could do it my self I was allowed to take the boat on to the lake when camping. at 10 to 14 i would be gone fishing all day with just me and my younger brother. Then the family had a 27 ft Chris craft cabin boat in maryland for 5 years. Got to drive that, not alone, and other boats all the time. brother and I would drive a 56ft christcraft connie while my folks played cards with the owners. No chart plotter back them. Map and compass and a close eye from my father. 16 I got a 14 ft flat bottom jon boat for christmas. used and motor never did work right butI used it. Bought my first boat at 30. 12 ft outboard for lakes and river. Then a 16, then 19 alum then in 2005 I finally go the 22 cdory. 2010 got my 27ft cdory. I have had or had use of small boats to 30ft most of my life. Not once have I been on a sail boat . Not on purpose, it just has not happened. I currently have a 27cdory, a 17 kingfisher, a 18 ft lowes open sled with 115hp jet, a 16ft sled with 60hp jet, a drift boat, dinghy 3 kayakes, 2 canoes , layout boat for duck hunting and other forms of floating debris.

My best advice is just go and practice. Get out for the soul purpose of learning the boat. when I got a MFD chart plotter with radar I was the fool in the drive way after work pushing buttons and learning what ever thing did. The kid that skate boarded up and down the next street probably has cancer from all the times I tracked him on radar back then. Take the trailer out and go practice parking and launching, backing and docking. JUST GO DO IT. find some one that will take you out the first few times. I have trained 4 cbrats at one time or another in new boats. Go rent a 12 to 14ft alun boat with a small outboard. You will learn more about boats handle in that then anything else.

Hope you get off the fence and go get a boat.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh if I was buying today I would not get a 22 cdory but a 23 venture. Better performing boat in my all to humble opinion Ok let the hate rain ... but its true...
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, experience, yes some, lifetime of smaller paddle craft, and smaller sailing boats, 10 to 18 feet. Ran a power boat teaching water skiing in college, along with everything else water craft related. Spent a year and a half trying to buy a CD-22, but was never number one on the call back list. Finally found a very nearly new 22 Cruiser with twins and purchased it ASAP. Took me 4 years to sell my Sailboat after that Disgust

Take a Boating safety class, find a mentor, and get on the water. You are missing memories.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: