City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All.

Unfortunately, I have a few amendments that I must disclose to the above itinerary that I just found out. It will not be the trip as usual.

First, I just found out that Sausalito Schoonmaker Marina has now closed their outside F Dock until the end of April. They also have no inside dock space available for us. Therefore, we will not be able to go into Sausalito this year. Last year we also were not able to use their F Dock due to weather concerns.

Second, I just found out the D Street Bridge at Petaluma is not currently operating! It recently got hit by a car and the City is trying to get a part to fix it. They are hoping to have it fixed by the end of this month, but they cannot guarantee this, because it is an old part that is hard to find. I will only find out if their bridge is working by calling back at the end of March and checking their status.

We thus have several new trip options.

Going to Petaluma we can try to go at lower tide and just go under the bridge coming and going if they do not get the bridge open by April 5th. If we make it to Petaluma we can stay there two nights like we did last year and then just head to San Francisco. Or we could stay one night in Petaluma and then head to Angel Island and spend Friday night on a mooring buoy there.

I still must send my check into San Francisco to get our Berthing Worksheet assignments for Saturday night. I reserved our SF spot a year ago and I assume this will still be alright. Delta Marine is still expecting us to park our trailer rigs at their facility.

I suggest we wait and see what happens with the Petaluma bridge and then we can make a group decision about what we want to do once we get to the Duck Club.

Sorry about all these issues but they are last minute and beyond my control. This has never been an easy trip to put together, but now it is more difficult to schedule.

Sincerely,
Jim & Kath

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, sorry to hear about the Petaluma hassles with the bridge. If I remember from last year correctly, I think most of us could have made it under the bridge. I can't remember about any of the boats with radar masts, but I know with my radar on the roof, I could have fit under. However, that's a long ways to go up river and find out you can't fit. I wish you all much luck. I certainly had a good time, even with the extra night in Petaluma. Colby
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On, a C-Dory 25 fit under the Petaluma bridge with no trouble. We had to lower our antenna. With the radar and arch, we need 8' of clearance, the chart says 5 ft. (min). We did wait until low tyde. We had plenty of clearance.

The city just didn't want to raise the bridge for us; no problem. This was in 2016.

Boris
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion, we stayed at Benecia 1 night several years ago during that big storm. It was wonderful and a short walk to the center of town. It could be an alternative to right after Wheeler Island, then onto Petaluma. I can call and see if 10 boats could be accommodated, just to see.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
johnrmarshall22

City/Region: North SF Bay
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Slack Time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: No Gas in Benicia Reply with quote

Hello Fellow Extravaganza Mariners,
No gas at Benicia, they have diesel only. Next gas stop is Vallejo Municipal Marina. Benicia is a nice stop, lots of places within walking distance. Bathrooms, shower.
Just some thoughts on possible options: Regarding Petaluma, there is a municipal marina that is likely to have space. Not much around the marina but smaller (lower boats) can easily pass under bridge at low tide. UBER is also very accessible. I have not looked at other options for Sausalito but willing to do so if others are interested.
Angel Island, nice stop if weather is decent and seas calm, can be pretty bouncy. Early on shore BBQ best bet. Some limited early food options. Think colder Catalina.

Sorry Jim, just can't help myself to further complicate planing and logistics...
Laughing Feel free to give me a call if I can be of any assistance.

Vallejo Yacht Club is yet another option, has lounge (bar), bathrooms, showers, lots of restaurants, brewery within walking distance. I can arrange for BBQ/ food on site. Low key friendly atmosphere. Beer
Napa Yacht Club is another possible destination, its about 1 mile from downtown. Fees are high... $45. per night. Dock at downtown (not same as yacht club) is very limited but you can tie up for a few hours. Lots of nice places to eat and enjoy adult beverage of choice. Slow ride, about 1.3 hrs from Vallejo.
Just some thoughts. Look forward to cruising with all of you soon and confident we will have a great time no matter the destination! Seems to me last year in Petaluma I was sleeping in virtual submarine with equal parts water above and below. Very Happy

Last edited by johnrmarshall22 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we arrive at the D street Bridge at 2 pm on Thursday, April 5, we can clear the bridge if we have 10.5 feet of boat vertical clearance. Anything taller than this and you will not fit.

I recommend that each vessel skipper determine their vertical clearance in advance so we know our options.

Steve, go ahead and see if we can get ten vessels into either Benicia or Martinez on Thursday. That would be another good option.

John also said that we could spend another night at the Duck Club and use it for a fishing day. We have many options to hang out together!

Jim & Kath
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

I like your Vallejo option. Let’s see what Steve finds out about Benicia first.

We could stay at Benecia or Vallejo on Thursday, squeeze under the D street Bride for a Petaluma Friday, and back to San Francisco for Saturday.

Robbin of John and Robbin does not want to stay on the bouy at Angel Island as she’s thinks it would we too rough for the night.

Jim & Kath
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought gas at Benicia a few years ago when I still had the dog of a Honda 90.
That was a rough trip-- I had to buy gas at Petaluma, Sausalito and Benicia on that trip. Glad to finally get rid of the 90 and go back to twins.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
kmcclish

City/Region: Santa Maria
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Marcia Jane
Photos: Marcia Jane
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts to Consider (might be worth what you paid for them)

Might be best to stay in Petaluma on Thur night and either Benecia or Vallejo on Friday, in looking at the Low Tide Predictions. Would rather not leave for San Francisco from Petaluma Saturday because Low Tide isn't until around 3:00 p.m. With normal afternoon chop and the potential for rough weather, we would be facing a long trip across the bay to San Francisco in the late afternoon. If we left from either Benecia or Vallejo, we would be able to leave in the morning.

Kent
MARCIA JANE
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I would forego Petaluma and add a 2-hour “fishing and release tournament” on the way to Napa from John’s club. Go from Napa to Vallejo, and then on to San Francisco.
Having offered all those suggestions, I’ll be happy to go anywhere you wish to go as long as I can find a good restaurant and a colorful bar to tell stories...
Jim, just let us know how much extra for a bit of sunshine
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good news. I got the Berthing Worksheet for SF South Beach Marina. So we do have a place to stay Saturday night!

Steve,any luck with Benecia?

Does any vessel require more than 10.5 feet of vertical clearance?

Jim & Kath
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I don't require 10.5 ft of clearance, maybe 7 ft (waterline to top of radar dome), I'll have to measure tomorrow.

I wasn't able to find Benecia's phone number quickly today, found it tonight though, so will give them a call tomorrow.

I did call Martinez Marina right across from them. Very friendly people. We discussed the 10-boat situation and potential date of 5 or 6 April. They said both of those days are open. They have a 160 ft dock, sort of like the F dock at Sausalito, just a little shorter. HOWEVER, they require all boats to "stern-tie". I told them we could tie gunwale to the dock and buddy-up tie 2 to 3 boats in about the same space, she didn't seem to like that. They sent me an email, I replied that I don't think it will be doable for us, we all have outboard motor, trailerable boats. I asked if they had ever seen an outboard boat stern-tied? I'll see what they say, but not hopeful.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a tall radar arch. My no problem height for land or water is 12 ft. I am sure that gives me more than a foot of clearance but am not sure about 10.5 ft. I have been very busy but will try to get out and measure soon.

Steve
kmcclish

City/Region: Santa Maria
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Marcia Jane
Photos: Marcia Jane
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim and Kathy and fellow C-Brats,

It appears that recent knee problems are going to be causing another surgery for Kent. A visit to the doctor this week has confirmed the need for surgery. Kent has been encouraging Jim to get knee replacements for the last few years. Well, apparently the plastic pads in the middle of the metal replacements have worn out and pieces of plastic are catching just like torn cartilage 20 years ago. Jim, don''t get your knees replaced until you can't stand the pain any longer!!!

I was hoping to celebrate my 80th birthday on the last day of our cruise this year. Alas it is not to be. We'll miss the group and look forward to either next year, or possibly Catalina this year. Marcia and I were really looking forward to the cruise this year but will hope to see you soon.

Kent & Marcia
Marcia Jane
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember years and years ago that we stayed near Jack London Square .... and ate at the great rib joint...where Steve ordered his ribs with the hot sauce...(they were too hot to eat) We had a great time there...but then we always have a great time wherever we go..

Joel
SEA3PO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: