The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Stuff to see and do at the Seattle Boat Show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Stuff to see and do at the Seattle Boat Show Reply with quote

I know that there's another thread about the boat show, but it seems to concentrate on the CBGT. I wanted to start a thread on what people are actually going to do at the show. Seminars, booths to visit, the "floating" boat show (which I have never been to). Stuff like that. It might help Brats see something (or buy something) that they might have otherwise have missed.

First, does anybody know of discount coupons? I'll probably go on several days, so the multi-day pass works for me (and I live downtown a couple blocks from the Bell Harbor shuttle). Anybody have a line on how to get tickets cheaper?

I wish the seminars were listed numerically. It would be really easy to say that I'm going to numbers 15, 38, 44, and 89, for instance. But no such luck. So far, the ones that interest me are "Cruising Haida Gwaii" and "Do You Copy" (about radio usage). A couple of the fishing in Eastern Washington seminars sound interesting. I just watched a YouTube video on catching burbot in Lake Roosevelt. I might have to try that.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Midnight Flyer
Photos: Midnight Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So happens my wife and I will be in the area visiting my brother in Graham from Jan 31st to Feb 4th. Currently we don't have plans to visit the boat show, but we might be looking for something to do one day during that time frame. Any specific things going on that would be very worthwhile? Not sure I want to go to just drool all over myself. lol But it might be worth a day trip just to see what it's about. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have or are interested in a BoatUS membership, they have always had a discount deal there. You have to get the Recreational Boaters Association of Washington membership, and then take that to the Boat US booth and show the receipt. I don't remember the exact % but it was something like the RBAW membership is nearly free.

Also, if you are into replacing your Waggoner Cruising Guide, There have always been some discounts associated with that. (Like a free dinner at Port Harvey Marine Resort if you go over and have them sign their ad.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat show seminars are listed here. Of course, it always seems to be that the seminars that interest me are on different days.

https://seattleboatshow.com/seminars/

Parking has always been a bit of a pain, especially on weekends. Close by parking lots look convenient, but I've never tried it and I assume that it is expensive. Bell Harbor marina has free parking and a shuttle that leaves every 15-20 minutes.

https://seattleboatshow.com/location/bell-harbor-free-parking/

At certain times, it would probably take 15 minutes just to get out of the parking lot at Century Link field, so the shuttle might be about as convenient. If you play the times right, getting off/on I-99 and to Bell Harbor is quick and easy.

As far as what to buy at the Boat Show, I never know that until I get there. There are occasionally "boat show specials" that actually are good deals. Fenders, boat hooks, things like that. I now have to keep my purchases under 16 feet, which I'm finding saves money.

I saw that one of the seminars is about cruising without refrigeration. I'm curious about that one. So far, I do that by simply not having refrigeration. Maybe I'm missing something.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Midnight Flyer
Photos: Midnight Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to look at the schedule link later this week. I do have a Boat US membership. At this time, I really don't need any items, so other than binge spending... lol. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I saw that one of the seminars is about cruising without refrigeration. I'm curious about that one. So far, I do that by simply not having refrigeration. Maybe I'm missing something. "

Mark, I have been doing that for 7 years, including nearly 3 months on one stretch around the north end of Vancouver Island. Has worked well for me.

No Ice Box, no bergie bits, no meat, and still not hungry.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: