The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/18 - 05/20 - 2018 Friday Harbor CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I just called the Squalicum Harbor. The person I spoke to said they do not park trailers there long term, but I could check with Hilton Harbor or Colony Wharf. He said I could get a pass from them (Squalicum) and park my pickup for free during that time in a nearby lot. However, when I asked him about security of if they have had any problems, he kind of hmmmmd a second, then said he couldn't guarantee anything with the influx of transients and homeless in the area recently. They only have one security guard and he is unable to patrol the entire premises often enough. That was enough to shut Bellingham out of the running for me. (So I didn't even check with the two boat storage yards about cost for storing the trailer....) Colby
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course he cannot "guarantee anything". Allow me: there is no such thing as "secure storage" unless it's your locked garage and you are home 24/7...and even then, theft can occur.

If you think Everett is "immune" from the cancer, you are in denial. Everett is probably second to only Seattle when it comes to homeless, criminals, dopers...(those terms are interchangeable to me) Same with Twin Bridges, Anacortes... Any public parking area is a target. Period.

I don't leave anything in my truck. NOTHING, nada, zilch. I even take the reg/insurance paperwork, so they cannot glean my address. I leave the center console and glove box open, so they can see they contain NOTHING. I leave nothing of value in the bed. Sometimes I even leave a door unlocked to avoid a broken window, but that's rare. Trust me. This area is now a destination for criminals, homeless, dopers...

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last October we launched at Oak Harbor and left the truck and trailer there for two weeks. Launch was free and parking was nineteen bucks and change. They asked that I park by the fence and unhook so the trailer was beside the truck. I ran a chain through a trailer wheel but that was it.

The good part was that the fence borders part of the naval base and the office lady said they don't have much trouble because of it.

The bad part is, the ramp is intended for float planes and is long with a gentle slope so I had all four wheels of the truck in the water to launch the boat at mid tide. High tide is easier, they say. There is a fresh water hose right at the top of the ramp that is free to use. I didn't even try to retrieve the boat there but I did see a guy with a collapsible keel on a sail boat pull out with no trouble. I took the boat over to Cornet Bay State Park and got a ride to the truck from a friend. It worked out well.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tyboo Mike. Think I'll pass on that one. Confused
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get in this a little. I have been talking to Colby on the side about launches. I think that what he is looking for is maybe non existent . I believe that your enjoyment level will be higher if your expectations are set at the right level. If anyone thinks their boat or truck is 100% safe at any launch or storage yard, fenced or not, your crazy.

That said I have left my boat for at least 5 days at almost ever launch mentioned on this list except camano island park. I have never had a thing stolen, broken or destroyed at any of them. Other people have had stuff stolen at all of them. The only time my boat has been broken in to is in my fenced yard at my old house in Marysville. They took the radar, downriggers and MFD. It was done in the day light next to a busy street.

I think that this thread is over thinking this subject. figure out which launch is best located for your travels and use it. The only c brat I know of that has had a trailer stolen in long term parking was in Bellingham.

As soon as I get my parking lot finished, work work work, at my present house I will have room for 3 rigs and trailer for cbrats looking for long term parking. Susan and I will be offering this to Cbrats next summer so that out of state boaters have a place to leave their rigs.

As for Corbys present problem I would launch near rogers and arrange for a some one else to park it at rogers,which has been offered. Roger is a great guy and knows how to park a trailer.

It seems that all the parks are limiting the amount of time you can leave a trailer. last year during FH I got a ticket for over staying at Cornet bay. There was not a limit a few years ago.

Trailers- if you have a aluminum trailer with stainless steel line i would not worry that much about washing it the one time you are not going home that day. We never have the option to wash a trailer until we get home. Even if its a week trip. Hit it with salt away when you do get home or dip in in the lake for a hour.

Have fun.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The twin bridges launch is one we have actually used a few times for trips of 3-5 days in length and not had any trouble. The current makes it "fun" but we do like the location enough to keep going back. Cornet Bay, which we normally use for this gathering, equals dealing with deception pass which is normally not a problem but still another factor in your plans. This year, we may just use the bridge launch.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby;

If your insurance premiums are paid up to date, you may want to have fun cruising and just take a chance. Bellingham is my preferred launch just talk to the harbor master and tell them your plans. They may be able to make arrangements for longer than 7 day parking.

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
If anyone thinks their boat or truck is 100% safe at any launch or storage yard, fenced or not, your crazy.

I was talking to my parking structure attendant the other day because I saw some broken glass on my way out. He said that he parks there also, but leaves his car unlocked, the driver's window down, and the glove box open. Any prowler would think that somebody beat him to that one. Somebody on the Hull Truth said that they left their remote release gas flap open. Let a potential gas thief try to get past the anti-siphon gizmo ($50 of gas) without prying open the flap ($500 in body repair).

Making your rig the least desirable in the parking lot helps. Well, it helps you. I guess it makes others the more obvious target.

Probably a good time for a thread on anti-theft measures for tow rigs, trailers, boats, and boat equipment. A couple of times I have forgotten to turn off my floor mat alarm and had my horn go off when entering the cabin. Scares the crap out of me, but I don't know the effect on a drug-addled thief.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom I hear what you are saying. Actually, while guilty of overthinking, I also know no lot is completely safe and secure. I've been very fortunate on my longer boat trips with no breakins. But I also don't go parking in places with known issues! And my favorite line I've heard others use, "that's what insurance is for"! So other than the deductible and a possible PITA dealing with such problems, I'm covered! lol. I do have a place to park. That has not been a factor in any of this for a short while! Now the decision is, where to launch near by. And this is where I plead guilty to overthinking. In the end, I'm sure I will find a place to launch, rather it's $7 or $80. (And La Conner is that choice at this time!) I do have an aluminum trailer, but with steel or galvanized steel running gear. You've seen my posts before about electric brakes, and I'll stand by just as good in salt as the rest of the steel running gear and drums. But I've also said maintenance is a big part of that, and that means fresh water rinse down. I plead guilty to being anal about that also. lol! In actuality, it sounds like there are several doable ramps and slings in the area, but most affected in one way or the other by winds, wakes, currents and tides (or price!). Three (four if you include price) of those variables affect the inland lakes and rivers also, so yeah, I'm probably overthinking this! (I also was warned about tides, eddies and currents before my first time boating out to Friday Harbor, and that was a non-event! Mr. Green ) Colby
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used the ramp under the bridge a lot when we had the 22. Its my favorite ramp to tell you the truth. Like the location, like the price, never had to pay for leaving the boat extra days ( that may have changed because they have a pay station now) . we stopped using it because with the 27 ( 30 with the motor) we are longer then the dock unless its a high tide. We never got broken into here but others have.

I find it sad that we have to make our rigs unappealing to the thieves instead of making thieving unappealing . Need to get back to punishments that far exceed the crime.

Here in Marysville and all of Snohomish county really, if you are high on meth the police will not put you in jail. If you are caught in a criminal act and arrested you will be ticketed and released because they do not want you ODing in jail and suing them. So guess what, every thief is high before they go out stealing. There is no deterrent to thief here anymore.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty sad Tom. We do have a drug problem in the Midwest too, but alcohol is probably a bigger issue. Fortunately, at least from my experience, most of our boat ramps are pretty safe. Parking only becomes a problem on heavy boating use weekends, at the smaller lots. And we don't have to worry about tides, but drought and floods can cause some issues. Most our ramps have docks beside them and at least the major ones, are steep enough to work well. Most the local ramps are not in use for lengthy stays. However the ones I use on the Mississippi, and Lake's Michigan and Superior are also pretty safe leaving a rig for several days or weeks. At least I've never had any problems. But they are in campgrounds, or patrolled. Or in areas just not frequented by trouble makers. Colby
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby's former job might be where he picked up the over thinking habit. The rig he drove for work required a bit of thought when parking as well as when launching so he got a little particular about his methods. The people who rode with him appreciated it very much.
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I find it sad that we have to make our rigs unappealing to the thieves instead of making thieving unappealing . Need to get back to punishments that far exceed the crime.

Stop. JUST STOP! We can't do that!!!! That's mean and, and unfair...and, and something-ist and something-ic... You know. It's a free for all, baby! To hell with rules and accountability and consequences. We are in the "Utopia" of western WA! Light a joint, inject some smack or a speed ball and enjoy...

Last edited by localboy on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Colby's former job might be where he picked up the over thinking habit. The rig he drove for work required a bit of thought when parking as well as when launching so he got a little particular about his methods. The people who rode with him appreciated it very much.

Commercial airline pilot?
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lost. Can someone direct me to the symposium on the Friday Harbor Brat Bash held I believe on the third week in May? I seem to have landed on the crime and bad actors thread.
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: