The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/18 - 05/20 - 2018 Friday Harbor CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby, Kitty and I will not be making the FH trip this year due to a schedule conflict. If you have any other trips planned, let us know. We'd love to join you.

Sorry to hear that. I will be continuing north after the gathering for about a month checking out the south end of the Inside Passage. The rest of my boating this summer will then be east of the Rockies. You up for a trip east? I'll be in the Apostle Islands for a few weeks beginning the middle of July. Then the Mississippi River gathering in September followed by a run down the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers with Pounder Jim and some others. Colby
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet and I are looking forward to being there this year. Can someone confirm whether we do or do not need to make reservations with Friday Harbor in addition to signing up here? Thanks!
Chris
Luna C

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sign up here and you are all set, you will walk up and register for the slip you use after you arrive.

Happy to have you Luna C!

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
C Horse 1

City/Region: Longview
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Horse
Photos: C Horse
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Friday Harbor Reply with quote

Harvey we are looking at putting in at Hood canal was wondering how trip is from your location near Sequim?
Thanks
Jim and Kandi
C Horse
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Friday Harbor Reply with quote

C Horse 1 wrote:
Harvey we are looking at putting in at Hood canal was wondering how trip is from your location near Sequim?
Thanks
Jim and Kandi
C Horse

Hi Jim and Kandi,

Depending on where you launch on Hood Canal that will determine how long it takes you to get up to get up to Port Townsend. Point No Point, just north of Hansville, can get pretty bouncy there so be sure to note tide and wind directions. From there, stay along the west shore and take the Port Townsend Canal into the PT Bay for good protection. From there, Sequim is about 15 miles west along the south shore of Juan de Fuca. From Sequim Bay it is about 25 miles straight north to go into Cattle Pass, the entrance. It is about the same distance from Point Wilson. You do not need to come around to Sequim Bay, it will be nearly the same distance from Point Wilson, the NE corner of Port Townsend. (You will want to give the point some consideration before rounding. It can be pretty rousing.) The tide rip there extends out over a mile at times, and can have 6 - 8 foot washing machine waves, depending on the tidal flow, wind and where you are on the rip.

The Strait of Juan de Fuca should not be trifled with either. It can be smooth as glass or whipped to a froth. I have seen it both, I have crossed many times, and made each one though they are not all glassy flat rides. When you are crossing, If there are waves, they will be nearly dead on beam seas. That's a result of you going north or south, and the current going east or west, and generally the winds are going east and west too. You want to mitigate that if possible. Once they get to 3+ feet it gets less than comfortable.

I would recommend doing an early crossing. I would check weather (VHF) listening for (or do on line checks) for 1. Race Rocks, the windiest place on the strait, and just west of Victoria, 2. Ediz Hook, near Port Angeles 3. Smith Island, the eastern side ow where you will be crossing. I do a (Very early) launch and plan so I can be out on the water before sunrise, and try to be a line between Protection Island and Dungeness Lighthouse in time to see the sun pop over the horizon. That will usually give you about 2 hours with the least wind of the day. That should give enough time to make the crossing. If you have a stable, high pressure weather system, you might have glass flat all day. If so, take it slow and enjoy the ride. If winds are 10 or over, I would really hustle, and if 15 or over, I would have to see what the barometer is doing and get local conditions from any vessel in the area, but at 15, I am probably not going to do the crossing. UNLESS, sometimes it will settle in the mid to late afternoon. I would not start a crossing unless I have at least 4 hours before sunset. Once through Cattle Pass you will have pretty protected water.

I hope that helps answer you question. If not let me know what else I can help with.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

C Horse 1

City/Region: Longview
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C Horse
Photos: C Horse
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You sir you have by far answered my questions and concerns. We are going to explore Hood canal Wednesday and will head north Thursday or Friday depending on all conditions you have mentioned. Thanks again
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone launched at Everett to go out to Friday Harbor? Thoughts on that vs. Cap Sante? Colby
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Has anyone launched at Everett to go out to Friday Harbor? Thoughts on that vs. Cap Sante? Colby

Yes, I've launched from Everett (as well as Edmonds for that matter) and cruised to FH (and beyond), mostly in the 16. It's definitely a nice cruise, both the inside and outside of Whidbey island (weather permitting). If the wind/waves pick up, there are good layover spots both in Pt. Townsend and Oak Harbor, in case you want to pull in and wait it out for a night. What might take 2-3 hours one direction could take 6-7 hours on the return trip if the wind picks up, just because of the distance. On one such return trip in the 22 I just pulled in and stayed a night in Oak Harbor, and then it was flat calm the next morning for the final leg home.

Everett is a nice launching facility, with 13 lanes, ample parking, and fresh water wash down. Not sure if I'd dare leave my truck there for a month though (I was always nervous leaving it there for one night, but that's probably just my paranoia.)

Edmonds has a sling launch similar to Cap Sante, if you are still leaning towards that option, and isn't too much further south of Everett. I think Edmonds security is a little better as it's a much smaller marina and also a bit more of a sleepy retirement community. Not sure how long either of these ports will let you park.

-Mike

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have done it also. Traversed both Deception Pass and the La Connor route. La Connor is slow but we wanted to experience it. We ran into a wind vs current collision on the way back at Skagit Bay once too. Made for slow travel. Still not bad if you have the time.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Friday Harbor Reply with quote

[quote="hardee"You will want to give the point some consideration before rounding. It can be pretty rousing. The tide rip there extends out over a mile at times, and can have 6 - 8 foot washing machine waves, depending on the tidal flow, wind and where you are on the rip.[/quote]

I got into this last year when going to the Bellingham CDGT. It is so tempting to cut close to Point Wilson. It was flat calm when I looked through the binoculars and started, but by the time I got there it was standing 3 foot waves and getting worse. Looking towards Whidbey Island, there were gulls sitting on flat water only 300 yards away. Had I gone out farther around the point, it would have been faster and more comfortable. I could have stayed on plane.

I got to learn the same lesson at Partridge Point an hour later.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, It is possible to round Pt Wilson in close and avoid some of that rip but you have to bi in REAL CLOSE, and there are some tall point rocks not far off shore. ( you can see where on a good minus 2 tide ) so if you are doing the close in route you have to be careful. I learned that from some fishermen, and they use that route extensively. Safer to take the long way around for me.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet and Chris, I'm glad you can make it. It'll be nice to see you.
Brock
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just kind of curious, where others are planning to launch from, and when. My plans are to launch at either Cap Sante or Everett on the 15th or 16th, then show up at Friday Harbor Thursday afternoon. Possibly leave the launch site on the 16th and stop over somewhere for the night. Colby
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Just kind of curious, where others are planning to launch from, and when. My plans are to launch at either Cap Sante or Everett on the 15th or 16th, then show up at Friday Harbor Thursday afternoon. Possibly leave the launch site on the 16th and stop over somewhere for the night. Colby

I'll likely be heading the same direction, around the same time. Currently planning on a late afternoon / early evening departure from Twin Bridges (just around the corner from Cap Sante) on Wed the 16th, with a Wed Night stop somewheres along the way. Not sure if I'll arrive at FH on Thrus night, or Fri morning.

-Mike
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would like to sign up for the Friday Harbor trip in May. We just bought our C-Dory 23 Venture last December and so this would be our first trip on this C-Dory annual gathering. Thank you. Gary and Colleen with our boat Daybreak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: