The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/18 - 05/20 - 2018 Friday Harbor CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fisherman bay

City/Region: lopez island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: cattitude
Photos: Cattitude
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reefmadness,
your friends boat name is great, Kathy was medical so she got a great laugh. thanks for the note on fuel, I have not been able to find that info anywhere.
We are thinking of Alaska in her too. I can't see or dip the tanks and it is driving me crazy. the pilot in me is haveing a fit.. Smile

we both are retired and designing a home for our lot on fisherman bay... the dream
john
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the Anacortes Boat and Yacht Show will be May 17-20. Wonder if CDory will be on display. I’d say we’ll have a show of our own in Friday Harbor.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is getting closer, I am slowly firming up my plans. My intent is to launch, probably using the sling at Cap Sante Marina, on Wednesday, then cruise over to Friday Harbor on Thursday. It's my understanding reservations for all of us have already been made for Fri-Sun, but we check in to the marina to pay our dockage fee. And also that if arriving early, we're on our own for any necessary reservations.

I'm also considering Billingham instead of Anacortes. What facilities are recommended there? (That are safe and reasonably priced for leaving a rig for a month!) I'm planning on staying till the last week of June to cruise into the south end of the Inside Passage, perhaps as far as Desolation Sound, but mostly up the east side of Vancouver Island. I'll have to get my wife on a flight back home the end of the weekend following the gathering weekend (May 27-2Cool, so will likely stay in the US area and not cross into Canada until after that. Anyone that wants to cruise with me north or that would let me cruise with them, would be greatly appreciated, since I'm not familiar with the area or have much experience with "ocean" cruising. Colby
Tippy Canoe

City/Region: Central
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We joined C-Brats last year to learn more about C-Dory boats. We are planning to become owners but have not seen many due to our geographic location in central Oregon. Colby Smith suggested we attend this gathering to be able to view multiple boats, so we booked a trip. We met Colby and the gang on the Columbia trip last fall but the water was too rough to be out the day we visited them. So Colby will be giving us a ride while we are in Friday Harbor. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Paul and Vicky
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing you guys, Paul and Vicky. I'm sure you can also get a ride on some of the other sized C-Dory's as well for comparison. But you should have gone out in that rough water, to see how the boat handles in that as well! Maybe we can still find some rough stuff around Friday Harbor. Mr. Green Colby
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:

I'm also considering Billingham instead of Anacortes. What facilities are recommended there? (That are safe and reasonably priced for leaving a rig for a month!) I'm planning on staying till the last week of June to cruise into the south end of the Inside Passage, perhaps as far as Desolation Sound, but mostly up the east side of Vancouver Island.

Hi Colby,
I frequent both Anacortes/ Cap Sante and Bellingham (born and raised in Bellingham), and would personally prefer Anacortes from a launch perspective and parking, if month-long parking is available. The ramp and wash-down facilities at Bellingham are first rate, but you can also count on Bellingham Bay being nasty from even the slightest breeze from the South.

The sling launch in Anacortes is easy-peasy hassle free, and your trailer stays dry so no need to wash it off with fresh water like you would at Bellingham. When trailering I always preferred using the Cap Sante sling launch especially for single-handing...you have a crew launching and tying off your boat while you go and park, then your boat is ready by the time you walk back. Also if you launch Wed, Cap Sante is a great marina to overnight in, with lots of dining and grocery shopping options literally across the street. In Bellingham everything is quite a haul from the marina, except for about 3 marina restaurants.

Regarding parking, I'm not sure about Anacortes, but in the past you were able to make special arrangements with the Port of Bellingham to park for longer than the usual max (10 days?), and you'd park in a lot across the street. Others have reported no problems security-wise doing this in the past, however I personally would no longer trust that, with the homeless "encampments" setting up shop half a block away in recent times. I'm sure these exist in Anacortes somewhere too, as they do everywhere in the PNW, however I haven't noticed this any encampments in the vicinity of the Cap Sante marina. Also Bellingham is notorious as a "hippie" and "college" town whereas Anacortes is known as a "retirement" town and so maybe as a result, Anacortes feels a bit more low-key and perhaps more secure.

Looking forward to meeting you at Friday Harbor!
-Mike

Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather permitting, Catch 22 will be there. Looking forward to it!
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather permitting, Catch 22 will be there. Looking forward to it!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for that info on Bellingham vs. Anacortes. Several years ago my wife and I did come out and cruise to Friday Harbor on our own. I used Cap Sante and it's sling launch then, and stayed one night in the marina, so I have some familiarity there. (Great restaurant next door!) There was no problem parking in a very large lot just south of the marina. I think the marina charged me $5/day parking... Likely I will use this marina again, especially after reading your remarks. The sling launch worked quite well and I felt was reasonably priced. I should give them a call and double check on parking for the longer period of time.

Some other minor changes to our plans. We are foregoing a visit with my brother after the gathering, and my wife will fly into Seattle to join me. So I need to check flights out of Victoria or Vancouver for her to head home May 29th. So that will give her time to see some other areas north of the San Juans that she hasn't seen before, and give me a head start going farther north. Colby
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started doing my trip planning and was looking at area boat launches. Be advised that the CBGT weekend will have spring tides with the mid-day low at about -2.5. That takes quite a few small launches out of contention for at least a few hours. Those that remain operational will be slippery slimy. Also, Deception Pass will be at maximum current. A beautiful sight to watch (from shore.)

I am kind of interested in the Anacortes sling launch just because I've never done it. What does it cost? Is there likely a waiting line mid-day on Friday? Do I get a price break for a cute little boat?

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
I just started doing my trip planning and was looking at area boat launches. Be advised that the CBGT weekend will have spring tides with the mid-day low at about -2.5. That takes quite a few small launches out of contention for at least a few hours. Those that remain operational will be slippery slimy. Also, Deception Pass will be at maximum current. A beautiful sight to watch (from shore.)

I am kind of interested in the Anacortes sling launch just because I've never done it. What does it cost? Is there likely a waiting line mid-day on Friday? Do I get a price break for a cute little boat?

Mark

Hi Mark, good point about the tides, it also makes Friday Harbor good boat-watching of the larger boats who pull in not realizing depths are only about 2 feet in the inner marina! Not a problem for our C-Dories, and being located out on the G and H visitor docks which are deeper.

Round trip launch rate at Cap Sante is $37 for a 16. Larger boats are more expensive. There's an extra fee if you have a bunk trailer since they have to block up your boat to get the rear strap under. Parking might be an additional fee. Here are the other rates http://www.portofanacortes.com/marina/marina-facilities/boat-launch

I've never had to wait in line more than 1 boat, even on summer weekends, and the trailer parking lot was always surprisingly empty. Perhaps I always missed the busy fishing or crabbing days, by luck. Here's a photo from 2015, just returning from the Friday Harbor CBGT at Cap Sante mid-day during a minus 1.5.
http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album2299/FH_23.sized.jpg
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked and spoke to one of the gals at Cap Sante. A sling launch (round trip) for 21-23' is $46. (24'-25' $57) I launched from their sling several years ago, and I do not remember an extra fee for my bunk trailer. For those wondering, they just jacked up the back of the boat a bit, and placed the sling under the hull. I will be launching here on either Tuesday or Wednesday and then heading over to FH on Thursday. Parking your rig is $5/day. I believe it is fairly safe. At least I had no problems several years ago, and we were out for about a week.

FWIW, I changed my settings on these videos in my Facebook albums to public, so if anyone would like to see that sling in action, here are two videos, the first launching and the second retrieving.

https://www.facebook.com/colby.smith/videos/vb.733649883/10152538755104884/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/colby.smith/videos/vb.733649883/10152557014984884/?type=3

And here is a photo of the worker jacking up the back of Midnight Flyer to install the sling.

As I do a little more trip planning for this one, we've decided my wife will probably fly out of Victoria BC on May 29th. Does anyone have any advice for the closest marina and transportation to the International Airport there? Anyone else planning to stay after the gathering and cruise north around Vancouver Island, or at least as far north as Desolation Sound? Would Vancouver be a better choice for flying out of, with transportation and dockage? So many questions... Colby
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll stick with Squalicum. We can put up with Bellingham Bay. We've done it tons of times. Good facilities at a good price:
Quote:
Boat Launch Rates Launch fee - $7 per launch
. The extra cost for Cap Sante is not worth it. And jacking up the rear of the boat...
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reef Madness will launch in Bellingham the 15th or 16th. Weather permitting, we may head over to Sucia for a day or two to decompress after the trek from California. We’ll arrive FH either Thursday evening or Friday morning. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
johnpurvis

City/Region: Meridian
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Firefly
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Friday Harbor Reply with quote

Colby, Kitty and I will not be making the FH trip this year due to a schedule conflict. If you have any other trips planned, let us know. We'd love to join you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: