The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

FG patches in forward portion of hull ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esmi2

City/Region: San Luis Obispo, CA
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: FG patches in forward portion of hull ??? Reply with quote

On the internet, I am looking at the chain locker area of a C-22, and I note a series of patches in the fiberglass just below the hull/deck joint.

The patches are located in a position that they seem as if they are part of the backing for the rub rail.

My question is, "is this factory work?" It seems different than the hull penetrations and backing for the stantions and the windlass.

Can anyone tell me what I am looking at?

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Cabin%2CInterior&id=Screen_Shot_2018_01_07_at_3_30_58_PM&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Thanks!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you are seeing is the "coverage" of the joint rivets. I believe they are where the deck and hull come together, and also hold the rubrail in place. Those, (if I am looking at what you are), are factory. I know I have the same thing in my boat, and have seen that in others.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Harvey is right. Those small lumps cover the back of the rivets that hold the rub rail on. On my older boat the rivets where exposed on the inside and appear to have been covered with 5200 or similar. Without the covering the rivets would leak. The hull/deck joint is fiberglassed together in the normal manner.
Because I was where I was
Esmi2

City/Region: San Luis Obispo, CA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

It just struck me as strange that the rivets are covered with an unfinished FG glop, whereas the thru-cabin fittings (presumably for the stanchions and windlass) are backed with stainless hardware.

It had not occurred to me that the hull-deck joint overlaps, and rivets are fastening more than just the rubrail to the hull.

Got it now, and am feeling much smarter.

Thanks! Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hull to deck joint is glassed on the inside, before the rub rail is put in place or the interior finish is applied. After the rub rail is put in place, and the rivets are set--the inside of the rivet is covered with some material, and then finish applied. These rivets are not structural, as they are in some boat where there is a "shoe box" overlap of the hull to deck joint. The glassed joint is far stronger than a boat where there are rivets holding the hull to deck joint.

So the rivets are only holding the rub rail extrusion in place, as you first surmised. There is no need for a backing plate, since this is not structural.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: