View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: AIS receiver and display Reply with quote

Found this whilst poking around the interwebz:

Here is the link.

About US$325.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the jargon is hype. It is not the first, Watchmate Vision has been around for several years, and I have had it onboard SleepyC for 4+ years. The label on the front of the “monitor” says “Radar”. Radar and AIS are different animals. The data output provided gives the” speed over the ground, the vessel name, mmsi number and the latidude and longitude of any target selected by the user.” That doesn’t show the 2 most important and useful pieces of info one can get from an AIS system --- CPoA and TtCPA (Closest Point of Approach and the Time to Closest Point of Approach) both critical in assessing risk of collision, or as used most often, determining safe passing or crossing distance and approach to CPA speed necessary to reduce proximity to the transmitting vessel.

There last line on that headline page is:

*AIS Radar is an AIS receiver only and does not transmit AIS data. It should not be confused with an AIS transponder or primary surface radar.

It would be nice to know what size screen and what size the monitor is. I think it would be rather disappointing, but who knows. It could be a step up from watching AIS on an iPad or Android device because it would be real time.

Several of the VHF marine radios now have AIS receivers that will give CPA and TCPA readings, and have NMEA output which should make output to your MultiFunction Display (MFD) a breeze. That may be much more functional and informative. Look up Standard Horizon or ICOM for starters.

For close to the $325 price you can get into a good VHF with AIS receive and have a second VHF on board. Duplication, redundancy and multi tasking.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Standard Horizon AIS receiver/VHF is the same price. An MFD is a few hundred bucks. If you don't have a networked MFD, this NASA unit might be a reasonable alternative.

However, I know nothing about this unit other than what I found on the internet, In my case it using this would be cheaper than updating all the other electronics to get AIS functionality. (I already have two radios.)

To each their own.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about the same price you can get several brands AIS B transceivers, which will use your current displays.

Or for a little over $100 more you can get a AIS B transceiver plus small GPS plotter: [urlhttps://www.amazon.com/Matsutec-HP-33A-Transponder-Marine-Navigator/dp/B00MC9Q40M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1515434547&sr=8-7&keywords=ais+receiver] Matsutec AIS B/GPS [/url]

I don't know about the quality of any of these. The AIS/plotter I noted has only a 4.3" screen.

My Standard Horizon with NMEA to dedicated Garmin Chart plotter works very well...too well to have it on my navigation main screen.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased and installed the Standard Horizon GX2200 in OSPREY last year. The AIS info on the screen of the radio is hard to see (my radio is about 3' to starboard and down from the helm position). The display is tied into my on-dash Garmin Chartplotter and that is where it is really wonderful. The chartplotter sets off an alarm if you are near anything requiring an AIS (or those others that have put transmitters on their boats). The AIS info on screen gives an instant track line and and if you want more info, place your curser on the object and it gives all info about the ship, its course, speed and many other pieces of info about its voyage. Additionally it is a fine VHF radio with many functions. It does have the GPS built in, so programming your MMSI is very easy.
I have a lot of shipping traffic near my home port, so yes, I really appreciate the instant added nav info.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
chimoii

State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AIS receiver and display Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

Found this whilst poking around the interwebz:

Here is the link.

About US$325.

I actually think this may not be a bad idea for someone who does not already have an integrated system. On our Venture 23 I had an excellent Standard Horizon radio with a built-in AIS receiver and it worked well. The only difficulty was that the radio was in the overhead and the screen was very small. This would certainly be a real improvement. One thing that I would like to check if I were going to buy one would be whether it received both class A and class B signals [commercial and recreational vessels]. I'm pretty sure it would but it's worth asking.

I'm rather fortunate at the moment since we have a full Garmin system that is integrated, including the AIS 300 that provides all the information to the 7610. If that wasn't the case but I was already running a fairly recent Garmin MFD I would probably add the AIS 300 rather than go with this standalone unit. I understand the price is more like $500 rather than $375 but I wouldn't have to find space for the separate display and having everything overlaid on the chart plotter cannot be beat.

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chimo,
My GPS/Plotter is an older Garmin 546S and it was very easy to wire the Standard Horizon radio to it, so that it would provide the AIS info. Lastly the radio had a rebate from SH for $40. I purchased my radio from thegpsstore.com, free shipping and they provide all of the rebate paperwork with your purchase.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed all new Garmin system in C-Hawk and used my Triple West Marine rewards to pay for the AIS. The sales clerk eyes popped when I pulled out all those reward certificates-- I figure I got a free AIS.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to check if I were going to buy one would be whether it received both class A and class B signals

Any of the receivers will show both A and B AIS. I have been told some sets allow filters to cut out the B and that is occasionally done by commercial vessels. [/quote]
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been told some sets allow filters to cut out the B and that is occasionally done by commercial vessels

I hope not. I have the Matsu you referenced in your earlier post, and it does quite well. One of the reasons I got an AIS transmitter was so that the larger commercial guys could see me! In any case my AIS definitely came in quite handy on the Columbia River this past October. One day we were traveling in pretty solid fog and it was quite handy to have the AIS plotting targets, along with the radar. One tug even called me to work out an oncoming pass, so it's very apparent my transmitter works quite well. Smile Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby the "filtering" is apparently the practice of some large ships choosing not to show Class B target name text on their plotter. A target should still be shown.

Your signal is good...I had to turn my receiver off because too many collision alarms...when near your boat...

The Class B transmitter is 2 watts vs 12.5 watts of A, the Class B

Frequency of transmission:
Class A: Every 2 s if >23 kts; 3.33 s if >5° course change; 6 s if >14-23 kts; 10 s if 2-14 kts; 3 min. if at anchored, moored, or =< 3 kts;

recreational Class B (Carrier sense): every every 30 s (±4 s), subject to slot availability; 3 min. if at anchored, moored,

If the area is crowded, the AIS A. has precedent in the time slots. More information is available from the class A, rate of turn & navigation status. (messages)

"As Class A units take priority over Class B ones, they can reserve a slot resulting in a potential loss of Class B data. As well as transmitting data, CSTDMA devices also receive when to transmit data and information from other ships, AtoNs or base stations. Unlike Class A units using SOTDMA, Class B units don’t reserve future time slots."

On our river systems this is not an issue, since there will not usually be the number of ships to compete. If you are navigating in busy harbors, or choke points, such as the English channel, Panama Canal or Singapore, it may be a factor.

We have seen several tugs which should have had AIS receivers, where we didn't pick up a signal. (receive only)

:smile
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all the commercial vessels I saw on the Columbia (and Snake) Rivers were transmitting. However, several of us were surprised that this was not the case at Isle Royal. While the largest passenger ship out of Houghton (I forget her name) was transmitting on AIS, the smaller ship out of Grand Portage was not. Nor were some smaller "taxi" service boats. Many other private "yachts" in both Lake Michigan and Superior, and the Mississippi River, also transmit AIS. Really is a nice aid. I have used information gleaned from my AIS receiver (repeated on my chartplotter) to make calls and ascertain movement or anchorage of other vessels. And while I hope others see me, I've had just as much use out of it when I'm solo for my wife to follow me. This worked great at Isle Royal, where there was very limited cell service. However, not so well on the Snake and Columbia Rivers, but there I had cell service. That other information you provided is interesting. And I can see it somewhat on my chartplotter. Since my AIS transmitter stands alone (I do not have it connected to any of my other electronics), my own boat shows up on my chartplotter, and lags behind my actual position, catching up every 30 secs or so. Smile (This is because my VHF also receives AIS signals, and is connected to my chartplotter. Interestingly, the VHF screen does not show my boat, because it recognizes my MMSI in my AIS signal, however it still repeats that to my chartplotter, which doesn't differentiate the MMSI. Clear as mud? lol).
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, the lag on your plotter from your AIS has to do with that the B series only transmits every 30 seconds. My Standard Horizon had to go back to the factory to be "modified" so that it would not alarm from my AIS transducer. It was right after that that Standard Horizon made mfg changes in the 2200 and then the 2300 came out soon after that.

Quote:
"(This is because my VHF also receives AIS signals, and is connected to my chartplotter."
I believe that can be addressed in either the AIS menu on your plotter, or in the VHF AIS filter menu.

I too, use the AIS for family to follow me on the internet AIS site, BoatWatch. I have used that to confirm that I am transmitting an AIS signal, but as you have noticed I'm sure, that can run up to several minutes behind where I actually am. Not an issue for family following, but for me that is too much lag for navigational purposes.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in finding more AIS sites and tried plugging in www.boatwatch.com, and it returned a msg that the site was expired? Was that the correct URL?
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Interested in finding more AIS sites and tried plugging in www.boatwatch.com, and it returned a msg that the site was expired? Was that the correct URL?

Colby, I just pulled up the BoatWatch app on my phone. It is working and current, (checked the PT ferry position), but when I put www.boatwatch.com into google, I get the expired domain notice, and "If you are the owner, click here to renew" message. Wonder if the app can work without the .com section working?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: