potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cold, windy and miserable place to be during peak aurora season which is the time you want to launch suborbital rockets to sense the chemistry and physics of aurora.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never removed them/it. I put an oil heater (on low) along with a fan inside all winter. Doubt they raise the temps enough but they keep the air "dry" and no mold problem. I have never seen it get below the teens here anyway. I have heard of LCD's freezing but only "heard" it; don't even know if it's possible as a fact. I imagine anything can freeze if it gets cold enough or at least logic says so.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that advice Potter Water. Makes sense to me. Too damn cold to go out, crawl under the full enclosure cover, anyway! On warmer winter days in the past, I have turned them on to install software updates. But not until the Webasto heater had ran for a bit. Actually, how does that affect them, or bringing them inside during the middle of winter? Doesn't take the Webast too long to warm the boat up, but going inside is walking from freezing or below, into 66 or above instanaeously... Colby
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it all comes down to is differential of expansion in non similar materials. Rapid changes in temperature can cause some materials to expand faster under shock warming (turning the equipment on) than other materials, even at the microscopic level of todays microcircuits. But, how real the problem would be in our typical boating seasons and climates, there is no real statistical data. But, a good practice would be to warm up the static temps as much as reasonable before slapping the power switch on in sophisticated devices.

I suspect that there have been a number of boaters asking themselves why an electronic device has mysteriously failed during turn on at the first of boating season. One of the possible candidates would be having exposed the devices to sub zero temps. Or turning them on in temps well below freezing one time or several times during layup.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a screen crack on a depth sounder when the temp was only 24* in Pensacola. I take mine off the boat for the winter. No use tempting fate. I have heard of a number of others having issues. I don't know the percentage of damage.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never any issues with the boat electronics, but probably because I wasn't in "Extreme" temps.

Years ago when I was using cameras out doors in Very cold temps (like 20+ and on down to -20 or so) I would put a desiccant into a plastic baggie with the camera, seal it and then put it into the equipment bag. Usually with the lens on. Then they would come into the heated environment and wait in the equipment bags for 24 hours before getting opened. No moisture issues with them then.

I'm a firm believer in mild to moderate temp changes for electronics, especially if you are going through the freeze zone (32F).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: