The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hull repair substance?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Hull repair substance? Reply with quote

Getting home from picking up my new boat (2004) I noticed a hunk gone out of the hull about the size of a small walnut. It is where the boat hits the roller on the ratchet up front. Ugly ..Ouch! maybe I tightened it to much on the trip and it looks like it may have been repared before so I want to do it right this time? I would probably use some J and B weld ..never let me down yet but it seems there must be a better idea? Help! on a good note after driving 5 hrs I got a flat tire in front of my house backing in the R.V. pad...what are the odds ...father Neptune? Angeles?
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to grind out the damaged area and feather it back several inches. Then if it is into the glass laminate use multiple overlapping layers of fiber glass cloth and polyester resin. Grind it smooth and once it is fair, coat with gel coat.

This is not an eaiy to do job by a DIY and very difficult to get it to look perfect. Pros can make it look perfect so you may want to find a boatyard who can do that for you.

But if you don't care about perfection and the chunk is just gel coat, then use Marine Tex which is a thickened polyester gel coat patching compound.

David
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

thank you so much. No it goes in maybe an inch, can't imagine what would have caused it in the 1st place. Is the front not meant to be tight against the roller? I just cant pay anyone to do something I am able to do ...the older I get the more of a curse or a blessing this is!? So I am looking forward to learning about my boat and how to fix it. I grew up on surfboards so really this thing is just a big surfboard to me...ya I know....
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grinding and feathering sounds good, but if you don't care so much about a perfect finish, this will take < 1 hour overall.

PC Products 160114 PC-11 Two-Part Marine Grade Epoxy Adhesive Paste, 1 lb in Two Cans, Off White
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.
$14.66

This is amazing stuff.

Just mix 1:1, it will start as a thick paste that you can just form into the hole. It is incredibly sticky. After forming into hole, I usually cover with plastic wrap and mold to the shape I want with mu fingers. The plastic wrap initially sticks like mad, which is fine, since after it dries, it peels right off with a glossy, smooth finish. The color is slightly different than the C-dory hull, but it is quite hard, durable and completely waterproof. I also use this to seal the holes through plywood or balsa (like C-dory) cores by drilling out holes to a little larger size, and then either forming it around the inside of the hole edges (large holes) so the balsa is completely covered, or filling flat, then redrilling so there is epoxy all the way around with no balsa showing. You may find holes through your deck that aren't sealed, which is a bad idea, as water will enter and can rot the wood core. This stuff is hard, durable and waterproof. I go over the entire hull every time I pull the boat, because I often beach it and my hull gets nicked too.

You can sand it if appearance is important to you. I don't.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy Does It,
The option that I choose for quality repair and future value of my boats is to hire a fiberglass repair expert. Yes, DIY is not tough to do and the repair will likely be sound, but it WILL always bug you, unless you are using your boat for commercial crabbing of fishing.
My C-Dory had a ding on the chin about the size of a quarter, spider cracks below the door and aft of the port-potty location and a chewed up edge on the swim platform. All of these were on the boat when I purchased it, but I finally took the time to have the repairs done locally by a fiberglass repair guy. The repairs are unidentifiable and the cost was about $350...

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have the same ding, near the bow roller. I'm guessing this is from pulling the anchor in but it could also be from fetting the boat back on the trailer. Our used boat came with it, and the previous owner had filled it with marine tex.

I hate it, and it drives me crazy. I plan to use a dremel tool to grind out all the marine tex and fill with thickened epoxy and cloth. Sand it smooth and cover the repair with gelcoat, and sand with very fine sandpaper until it looks as good as I can get it. I'd hire it out but I enjoy the process and developing a new skill.

So as someone who already has the marine tex patch, that definitely does not match the gelcoat color, I'll caution against this fix. Also gelcoat will not stick to marine tex.

san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulnBrianna- You have indicated gelcoat does not adhere to marine tex ( a epoxy base ). What is different about filling with thickened epoxy and cloth?
It is a epoxy base.
Much is talked about using thickened epoxy. Gelcoat is a different base, it does not stick to epoxy.
There is a capatibility issue.

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, I had not thought that far ahead. Using a traditional poly with cabosil will have a more predictable outcome. Thank you for steering me straight before I got carried away and had to do it twice.
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy Does It,
Based on a lifetime of building and repairing surfboards and some limited experience of repairing fiberglass on boats I would recommend using a good grade of marine epoxy (along with glass cloth if the existing cloth has been damaged). Epoxy makes a much stronger mechanical bond than polyester resin. Polyester resin works well for the original lamination when consequtive layers can be added before the previous coat(layer) has completely gone off (cured). If added before the previous coat has cured, new layers form a chemical bond and become essentially a single single thicker layer. On cured polyester resin, epoxy forms a much stronger mechanical bond.
I recommend you go to West Systems Epoxy web site. They have a wealth of information and videos on doing fiberglass repairs including using gel coat over epoxy. They also have a great customer service department with really knowledgeable people who can answer questions.
Using various resins is not that hard. There's no reason to avoid doing repairs yourself if you are careful. West Systems Six10 Epoxy comes in a large tube used in a caulking gun and comes out in the correct proportions without measuring. You can also add a tip to the tube which will mix it as it comes out. If you don't use this tip be sure to mix your resin thoroughly. Six10 is an interesting viscosity that is stiff enough to not sag in vertical or overhead situations but also be used to wet out fiberglass cloth. Resins are hazzardous Be sure to follow all safety practices and always wear rubber (disposable) gloves.

Because I was where I was
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=14653&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fiberglass+repair&start=45

Some details in how to in the above thread.

san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyester gelcoat does NOT adhere to epoxy.
Repairing a cosmetic issue with an epoxy ? Now you have trouble making the cosmetic finish coat to blend into the surrounding area.
Boats ending up with spots of epoxy that can not be finished properly, because people are confused with the hole filling trend on this site.

If I was going to repair a 1 " gouge, the repair would start by grinding a tapered dished out area 3 to 4" in diameter, filling with layers of polyester resin and chopped mat ( proud of the surrounding area), sand back down to flush, then spray gelcoat mixed to match color of surrounding area.

I do not believe most DIY would dare to grind out the area to begin with.

In a lifetime of rebuilding boats, never have used epoxy. Then I have never owned a painted boat.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a rebuilder of old sports cars and old airplanes and a couple of fiberglass airplanes. Lots of experience with glass repairs. So I'm a super DIY, but if I had great pride in a boat with a chunk missing, I'd definitely go find an expert in such a repair. Professionals can make that problem disappear so that no one will spot it. It will be out of your brain. If you do a typical DIY, it will sit in your brain forever and haunt you and you will sell the boat so you never have to think about that less than perfect repair.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repaired all the holes left after I moved the swim-step from starboard to port. I used the above procedure that was taught at the old factory. The repair(s) itself is pretty easy.

Most difficult part, just like cars, is blending the gel-coat (like auto paint). Definitely a skill involved. I did it using a Preval kit with thinned gel-coat I got from the factory. On the first try, I did run into an issue with the gel-coat having a reaction which did not allow it to dry, but only on the patches. I wiped it down with acetone, re-sanded and re-painted. Once that was done, it dried properly. Still don't know what caused the reaction. Pics in my album.

It was not perfect but once I wet-sanded/buffed it the patches are pretty much imperceptible. One is a tad bit "thin" on the gel-coat but that's because I only had a limited amount left and once I sanded/buffed, it showed thru.
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search online provided plenty of evidence that, with proper surface prep, gel coat can be used over epoxy. This agrees with my experience. Here is a video of one craftsman's DIY test of compatibility.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAbyglpp3M

There is plenty more evidence.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Juanderer,

I have a couple gouges in my drift boat for you to look at. Let me know when I can bring it over.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: