View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Towing a hard shell dinghy Reply with quote

Has anyone tried towing a small Boston Whaler or a Livingston behind a 22'. I think the Whaler would tow just fine, not sure about a Livingston. Any thoughts? I'm not to concerned about top speed, but fuel economy is a concern. Thanks
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will drop your speed a knot or two--or the other way to say, about 5% to 10% more fuel. A lot depends on the "Boat" A small Livingston will be lighter than the Whaler--I would not tow a Squall, and an 11 or 13 will make a lot more fuel difference than the Livingston. My concern is the possible swamping in rough weather if towing fast. For us an inflatable is far more practical--although we have had both hard dinghies and RIB's on our larger boats--again we brought them aboard with davits or a roller system when under way 99% of the time.

If you are towing at low speed--then far more practical. I towed a 12' aluminum Duraboat behind our Tom Cat and 25 C Dory for relatively short distances--it skated all over the surface of the water when on a plane. With bigger boats I have towed an 20 foot Grady White--but only at 8 knots.

There are several trawler owners who tow Livingstons--and they don't consider them good boats for long distances (an exception might be the larger 14 footers)--The "BullFrog" is a popular boat to tow.

Consider what you are going to do with a large heavy dinghy which is towed if you come to a dock.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: