The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/22 to 09/23 - Lake Powell 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Steve, sure hope you make it, as we haven’t seen you & Diana since Marie & you were catching fish early every morning & that was one of my favorite Gatherings there.

Colby, if all goes well, I should be at Oak Canyon by Thursday the 20th or before. We should be able to stake out a workable site if Steve doesn’t make it.

Jody, I hope to see you Aug 23rd in Yellowstone & then again at Powell.

Jay

Discovery wrote:
Steve, When will you know if your going to Powell or not? We're still in Slodotna, AK.

LooIs like we’re are going to be able to make it... fingers are crossed!

Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Quagga Mussels Reply with quote

I just saw a warning on the Glen Canyon web site advising people to always wear water shoes because of tiny and sharp mussel shells. Not only is there a chance of cuts, but also the potential for an infection/sepsis.

In 2015, we had one member helicoptered out with sepsis, so it can happen.

Steve
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how many in total does it look like will be making Lake Powell the weekend of September 21st? I'm getting excited for the trip, but still have the Mississippi gathering in Alton to get to this week. Plans are still to arrive Bullfrog Bay late afternoon on the 17th. Then stick around until the 27th, leaving on the 28th. I'll most likely stay between Bullfrog and Dangling Rope, along with Rainbow Bridge, but might head farther west or east. Or, I've never been down the San Juan or Escalante Rivers, so might poke into those a little farther, depending upon fuel usage. Colby
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
So how many in total does it look like will be making Lake Powell the weekend of September 21st? I'm getting excited for the trip, but still have the Mississippi gathering in Alton to get to this week. Plans are still to arrive Bullfrog Bay late afternoon on the 17th. Then stick around until the 27th, leaving on the 28th. I'll most likely stay between Bullfrog and Dangling Rope, along with Rainbow Bridge, but might head farther west or east. Or, I've never been down the San Juan or Escalante Rivers, so might poke into those a little farther, depending upon fuel usage. Colby

Colby, we have 10 boats signed up, and there are occasionally last minute folks pop in. We are probably going to be about two days ahead of you. Typically some members of the group do a trip up the Escalante and San Juan rivers, and to Forgotten Canyon to see Defiance House. Fuel shouldn’t be an issue, just top off at Dangling Rope.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to look at my charts to find Forgotten Canyon. I'll probably be meeting up with S&T (Steve and Tina) with their new to them 22, and see if they have some preferences of where they'd like to go. Colby
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, it’s up lake about 10 miles from Bullfrog/Halls. Put Annie’s Canyon on your list, too. There is a great alcove in one of the arms that you can boat into. Kill the engine, drift and swim. It’s about mile 84.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yep, Annies Canyon is already in my waypoint list. Also, I did look up and plot Forgotten Canyon. It's upstream of Bullfrog, at Mile 106. The coordinates for the ANASAZI GRANARY and DEFIANCE HOUSE in same order are: N37 33.033 W110 36.750 N37 32.817 W110 35.200. I'll have to figure out when I was there last, and what the water level was at that time, for comparison to current levels.

Just looked. I was last there June of 2014. Looking at water level historical data, on June 25th of that year, lake was at 3607.92. As of 9/2, yesterday, water level is 3596.84. So about 11 feet lower than last time I was there. It was a bitch launching my boat at Bullfrog then. Sure hope I have it figured out this year. Of course, I'm towing with the F150 now instead of the Highlander, so I should be able to back in farther. I also think it would have worked better if I had tied my boat off the stern to the dock, and pulled out from under it. The boat was in the water, just not enough water above the bunk boards to float it with full fuel and water tanks, and loaded for 2 weeks of travel.

Last edited by colbysmith on Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Put Annie’s Canyon on your list, too. There is a great alcove in one of the arms that you can boat into. Kill the engine, drift and swim. It’s about mile 84.

We were in Annie's Canyon on our 10 day Lake Powell Canoe trip in 2007. We were paddling into the canyon when a small speedboat came in, did a couple of high speed circles around us and left. With the wake and ricochet waves bouncing off the canyon walls, I came to understand what a turn feels like when you flush the toilet.

I hope to visit Annie's Canyon again in October again this year in my C-Dory, but at low speed. There was a nice campsite there in 2007.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eileen and I will be launching C-Casa at Wehwap Wednesday the 19th. We’ll probably arrive at Oak Canyon sometime Friday afternoon or Saturday around noon. Is there anything specifically we should bring for the potluck?
Looking forward to spending time with all of you.
Pedro
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing you Pedro. I'll be launching Midnight Flyer in Bullfrog Bay, either Monday evening, or Tuesday morning. I'm kind of wondering about the potluck too. How it's done, as other gatherings I've attended have docks and space to set up tables and such. I assume we just carry stuff over the stern or bow of the boat, depending upon how we access the beach. The other question is, what do others bring to this particular location potluck? I'm leaving home in a few days, and it will be 8 days before the potluck. Was brainstorming today on what could be prepared before I leave home, and still be good a week later. I'm thinking maybe some bean salad that I used to buy in large jars. I don't travel with much in the way of kitchen goodies. One frying pan usually suffices for just one or two of us on the boat. Smile Colby
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be launching Discovery from Bull Frog Bay on Sunday evening or Monday late morning. It's a 3 hour drive from home in Loa.

Wandering Sagebrush, you have an ETA yet?

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
We will be launching Discovery from Bull Frog Bay on Sunday evening or Monday late morning. It's a 3 hour drive from home in Loa.

Wandering Sagebrush, you have an ETA yet?

Leaving this morning (hopefully), planning on launching Monday morning. I’d like to spend Sunday night at the BF campground to finish loading the last bit of stuff on to the boat. Still not sure of our travel route.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I launch Monday evening, or Tuesday morning, I'm thinking of heading towards Forgotten Canyon to check out Defiance House. After that, slowly make my way towards Oak Canyon to arrive there on Thursday or Friday. Colby
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Once I launch Monday evening, or Tuesday morning, I'm thinking of heading towards Forgotten Canyon to check out Defiance House. After that, slowly make my way towards Oak Canyon to arrive there on Thursday or Friday. Colby

Colby, I’m sending you my cell in a PM. Please do the same.

Steve
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to exchange MMSI or make sure that you both have the C-Brat MMSI. There are places where VHF coverage is a lot better than cell.

I'm still thinking about a last minute 1,200 mile dash, but I don't have any venison in the freezer yet. Decisions, decisions.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: