The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How many ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: How many ? Reply with quote

Does anyone how many 22 cruisers were made by each year, starting in '87? I would be intersted to know.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question. IF one could find the last one built each year, the HIN for that boat would give a pretty close clue. It would be interesting to know, maybe someone like Oldgrowth Dave, or Les from EQ Marine, might have good guesses, or Bob Austin might have a way of finding or figuring that one.

A call to NMI (current manufacturer) should yield how many they have built. I can't imagine why they wouldn't provide that.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if NMI can that number. But one of the issues may be that there have been both a number of different manufactures, during the last 16 years, and each will have their own numbering system. Probably if some wants to take the time to count the number of each year/size from this site--it would give a rough approximation.

I suspect when the original company (that sold to the Reynolds) was making the boats the numbers would be more accurate. However, I believe even then, boats were not always sequential.

Also the model year, will not correspond with the chronological year...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the HIN #, isn't one of the series the boat number for the mfg, (total or year), I'm not sure. Should have looked that up before I started this one. Memory isn't all the great.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hull identification numbers are as such: 12 digits (on occasion 13)

The following is for post 1984 boats: (different codes for date in pre 1984)

"ABC" (the first 3 letters identify the manufacturer) "12345" the next 5 are the "hull serial number"--but often the length or model of the boat is the first 2 digits: such as "22" for the C Dory 22. The next two "C3" are the date of certification or manufacture the last two "03" would be the model year number.The letter is the month of the year, with "A" being January.

The first 3 letters have been: CDO, DOR, CMC, GXK, MFN NMW TOK (Toland), & UWH

I could have missed some very yearly boats...
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Great question. IF one could find the last one built each year, the HIN for that boat would give a pretty close clue. It would be interesting to know, maybe someone like Oldgrowth Dave, or Les from EQ Marine, might have good guesses, or Bob Austin might have a way of finding or figuring that one.

A call to NMI (current manufacturer) should yield how many they have built. I can't imagine why they wouldn't provide that.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

There is no guarantee that the numbers start at one. The manufacturer can come up with their own numbering scheme. Maybe they start at 10000 and count by 3's. As long as they can uniquely identify boats the numbering scheme can be anything they want as long as the format follows the hull ID # requirements (mostly manufacturer ID and year built).

For instance, the two Air Force One aircraft currently in use have the serial numbers 28000 and 29000. There were only ~1500 747-200s built. So the number 29000 is only plausible if the s/n start around 28000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: