The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Brakes lock up when backing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan McNally wrote:
Bob is correct again his description is spot on.
Dan

It's nice and amazing to have Dr. Bob here with his eidetic/photographic (not sure which one he has but he has) mind. I usually have a hard time remembering where I left my boat.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan & Ken

It's nice and amazing to have Dr. Bob here with his eidetic/photographic (not sure which one he has but he has) mind. I usually have a hard time remembering where I left my boat.[/quote]

Amen, brothers!! He is amazing and we’re really lucky to have him!!

Because I was where I was
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a physical pin to lockout our surge coupler for reverse when needed. But that is because we very rarely need to do it, so I did not feel like it was worth the wiring. We actually keep the pin in a spare hole of our adjustable hitch so it is always handy.

We did use it again last summer at a new ramp we found. That's twice in four years.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our King has no such provision for a physical pin. I tried a 6" C clamp but it slid on the trailer and loosened. (This was just for a get it backed into the driveway scenario.) I ended up parking it in front of our home and replaced the solenoid. The part was like $12 from Six Robblees and took me about 1.5 hours to replace and bleed brakes. I soldered the connections and used marine heat shrink on the wires.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Our King has no such provision for a physical pin. I tried a 6" C clamp but it slid on the trailer and loosened. (This was just for a get it backed into the driveway scenario.) I ended up parking it in front of our home and replaced the solenoid. The part was like $12 from Six Robblees and took me about 1.5 hours to replace and bleed brakes. I soldered the connections and used marine heat shrink on the wires.

I had the same experience as Mark with our 2005 King tandem trailer. No provision for manual lock-out. I ended up buying a new solenoid a year ago but never installed it since I didn't experience the locked brakes situation again.

Now that I no longer have the trailer, I'm willing to donate the solenoid to whoever wants it. Just pay the postage, probably $5. PM me if interested.

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
SnT

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: Outlier
Photos: Outlier
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BACK-UP-BUDDY-MAGNETIC-LOCK-OUT-KEY-FOR-U-F-P-TYPE-SURGE-BRAKES-/120941559235

The Back-Up Buddy
This simple little gadget works great- I use it when I move the boat with my tractor.[/url]
thataway

Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnT wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BACK-UP-BUDDY-MAGNETIC-LOCK-OUT-KEY-FOR-U-F-P-TYPE-SURGE-BRAKES-/120941559235

The Back-Up Buddy
This simple little gadget works great- I use it when I move the boat with my tractor.[/url]

You learn something every day! I had never seen one of these before. I doubt that many of our C Dory trailers use this type of magnet to keep the coupler from sliding back. and locking the brakes. Anyone else use this type?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
SnT wrote:

The Back-Up Buddy

You learn something every day! I had never seen one of these before. I doubt that many of our C Dory trailers use this type of magnet to keep the coupler from sliding back. and locking the brakes. Anyone else use this type?

WOW, again, Bob is right. Everyday I'm on this site I learn something too. I had never seen anything like that either, BUT, my trailer (a Pacific Tandem), has that same slot that allows the bolt to move fore and aft. I use a bungee cord to hold that little "button" in place before I back up. It works, and I'm sure this would too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder the difference between the Backup Buddie and these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-HooksHeavy-Duty-60lb-Powerful-Neodymium-Rare-Earth-Magnet-Hook-with/263336651339?hash=item3d50166a4b:g:3~QAAOSwbwJaFEWU

I've already got something similar in the garage, so I'll have to test. I'm guessing that the magnet just needs to be strong enough to keep the actuator from sliding back. Might not work on a steep nasty grade, just when I'm in trouble and really need to keep the brakes from locking. Of course, if I had 4 magnets . . .

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:

I've already got something similar in the garage, so I'll have to test. I'm guessing that the magnet just needs to be strong enough to keep the actuator from sliding back. Might not work on a steep nasty grade, just when I'm in trouble and really need to keep the brakes from locking. Of course, if I had 4 magnets . . .

Mark

If the magnet fits in the oval cut out, and butts agains the captive knob--it would work. I don't think it is the magnetic "adherence" but the physical size.

I have some similar but rectangular magnets we used on the car for holding Cameras, tarps etc in place --and the strength was at least 60#--those were about 1" x 2" .
SnT

Vessel Name: Outlier
Photos: Outlier
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Back Up Buddy has an offset steel key that fills in the oval slot that allows the actuator to move - the magnet just holds it in place.
SnT
cbgale

City/Region: Calumet
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Raton
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought several small rectangular magnets at the hardware store counter for 99 cents, cut two half-moon metal pieces about 3/16" thick that would fit in the surge brake slot, and epoxied them to the magnets leaving them extending slightly over the edge of the magnet so that they will fit up under the washer on the surge brake pin. I leave one on the trailer on the tongue, and keep the other in the car for backup. They have stayed epoxied for 10 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: