The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New to forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liltyke001@aol.com

City/Region: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: New to forum Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

New to this forum...I live in NE Florida and am very interested in the 22 angler!!

The only "con" I seem to run into deals with the use of balsa wood in the construction..and the possibility of wood rot that comes with it.

I would appreciate any and all feedback
And any info on any 22 anglers out there for sale.

Thanks so much!!
Sue
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Jennykatz
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: 22 c-dory Reply with quote

We are having a Gathering on Hontoon Island state park in march 6-8 .you are welcome to join us Go to event sign up and join

Also you can do a search on C-brats for your questions .i've had 3 c-dorys and I didn't have any problems with Balsa core .i still have a Cape Cruiser Venture 23 which is now the 23 Venture by c-dory Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Liltyke001@aol.com

City/Region: Green Cove Springs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: thank you! Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite!...might just have to do that!

I am truly in love with the pocket cruiser design...but $$ limited as to what I can purchase at present....
I have 17ft Whaler Montauk we use on the St. Johns River....and thought about letting her go...but I have re thought that!

Just looking for something we can fish the river and Intercoastal with...and have protection, if needed, from those nasty pop up florida thunderstorms!

thanks for responding
Sue
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 1994 22 Angler for several years. The boat had zero rot issues with the balsa core. As I understand it (Someone correct me if I'm wrong), the core comprised of LOTS of individual 2" x 2" blocks of balsa that were individually epoxy sealed, and then epoxied together to form the core. So...lets say that a poorly sealed screw was installed, that penetrated the core. This would likely only allow water penetration to "one" of those blocks. Worst case scenario that the screw caught a corner of 4 blocks, the risk of major rot is still very limited.
Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Thisaway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the note in the other posting you made about the 22 Angler for sale at Wefings at East Point FL- an easy day's drive--buy the boat, sea trial and come back the next day! It is an Angler with the 115. Different boat than the Whaler. I have an 18' Caracal Catamaran which is often our day boat, so we have two similar boats to what you are considering. This angler is a bargain because of the engine, gear etc.

By 2008 the issues with the cockpit floor and fuel tanks were resolved. There are some reasons to use Balsa Core over foam--because it is stiffer and has less compressive modulus. If there are any screws in the hull bottom, they can be easily removed, the core removed, epoxy filled and then screw back in place. But my 2006 boat has "cleats"glassed in to hold the tanks in, instead of screws in wood strips (This boat has the same; looking at the Yacht World ad.) Also the Angler still will make a nice cruising boat. There are so many really great places to go on the St. John's. I suspect that this boat will open up a whole new World for you!

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to meeting you at Hontoon.

Caracal 18 140 Suzuki
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ferg

City/Region: Oak Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Photos: Here & Now
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The balsa core for MOST C-Dories is a non-issue. Hinckley Yachts, considered by many to be one of the best built boats in the world, uses balsa. If itís good enough for them, itís good enough for me
snal

City/Region: Asheville
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob, that the 22 Angler makes a great cruiser. We actually preferred the larger cockpit VS the larger cabin in the Cruiser version.

I've always hoped that C Dory would make a 25 Angler! That would be the perfect boat for my wants/needs. A smaller dinette (ditching the bed conversion) might still allow room for the same head/shower if the sink or cooktop could be moved to the port side. Guests could still sleep on folding cots in the larger cockpit w/enclosure.
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: angler vs cruisder Reply with quote

there is always the trade off between bigger cockpit vs more room inside, i once considered the 22 angler but just like the extra room inside, especially the dining table, waaay too much tho
http://www.floundergigging.com
Google-rated #1 for Flounder Gigging
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
(904) 277-3050

1989 C-Dory Cruiser 22 Red Honda 75 - Sold
1993 C-Dory Angler 16 Blue Honda 45 - Sold
2003 C-Dory Cruiser 22 Blue Suzuki 90 - Sold
2000 C-Dory Angler 16 Green Honda 45 - Sold
1994 C-Dory Cruise 22 Green Twin Honda 45's - Present
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: