The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat Show Trailers, Road Runner
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Boat Show Trailers, Road Runner Reply with quote

Went shopping for trailers today at the Boat Show for our 22. Besides talking with the the usual, we talked with the folks at Road Runner Trailers. They are manufactured in Richmond BC and sold by a company in Marysville.

Has anyone heard of Road Runner Trailers? Their pricing is ~$1500 less than other comparably speced trailers. When asked about the difference he said that it was the exchange rate in Canada.

Any opinions on bunk coverings, carpet vs a slick plastic material?

They do have an option for a combination of bunks in the rear and rollers in the front. Any opinions on that?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the exchange rate making that much difference, especially new with it as great as it is.

I would go for bunks, and cover with carpet. I don't see any advantage of having rollers on the front, but then I have a penchant for bunks anyway. I guess I look at that as helping to hold the boat in place, and the slick plastic or rollers are less that way.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tandem RR trailer, I have rebuilt the bearings and brakes twice in 20,000 miles. I feel for bopping around from home to the ramp they're fine. For long haulers I'd go with some other types maybe Float On. Springs, bunks etc are fine, but bearings and brakes are suspect even with constant maintenance and checking. I finally upgraded to disc from stock drum and so far it's a much better system. RR will definitely look like a good buy with our low dollar but I'd match the trailer to the job. I specifically requested a long haul, full time cruiser trailer when I ordered my boat from the dealer and the trailer specified has needed much work. It is fine now, but I should have just found a more robust mfg in the first place. George
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slicks vs carpet: I had slicks on the front 1/3 of the Float On Tom Cat trailer, because it was a bit hard to launch with the friction of the sharp entry of the cat hulls. They worked well, but you needed to leave the cable on the tow eye, until ready to launch! Boats will slip off--don't go with full slicks.

Front rollers, not a bad idea, since as the stern floats, the bow tends to dig into the front supports. I have a roller forward, and may add more.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new Road Runner trailer from Mike last year for my 22'. It is a tandem trailer with disc brakes and led lights. I went with carpeted bunks and I am glad I did.

My biggest challenge in the beginning was setting up the trailer for the boat. When I first loaded it on the trailer the bow ring was above the roller-- and very hard to load to get it tight. I tried multiple ways until I finally got the setup with a bit of my own design change on the roller. Now it loads and unloads like a dream. Mike said he built lots of trailers for C Dorys (and he does) but my setup was not even close. The front post was too short to have the roller above the bow ring as made

I am not a long distance hauler and in that context everything else seems fine except I thought the wiring could have been a little neater. I still want to encase the wires in a plastic cover. I would buy another one for the right price but understanding it doesn't come perfect.

I will post my design change tomorrow. Here is how it sat on my trailer at first

1988 22' Angler
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend a King Trailer for a 22 C-Dory. Fits like a glove.

Roadrunner trailers do not appear built very well and do not use the latest technology. No sure-lube hubs, no torsion suspension available. Don't like the y connection, it does not come back far enough in my opinion. I also noticed the low front post, too low for a C-Dory. For $1500 less though, I would probably try to make it work.
Gene&Mary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

C-Val- It looks like you bought either the 4500 Short or 4500 Long. I'm looking forward to seeing your design change.

The salesman pointed us toward the tandem axle 4000 (4000 # weight capacity) when I said it was for my C22. Our intended use is for storing our boat with minimal short or long distance towing. We also asked about a single axle trailer and he pointed out the single axle 4200. He said the single axle 4200 had larger tires and a 5000 # axle.

After we got home I read the spec sheet closer and noticed that both the single axle 4200 and the tandem axle 4000 were for boats 19' - 21' and the trailer length was 22'-7". Are those trailers too short?
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is too short. RR makes them for the BC C-Dory dealer , but a bit longer. You could enquire about a longer 4000 tandem.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally you want support of the bunks to go all of the way to the transom.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Ideally you want support of the bunks to go all of the way to the transom.

Agree, and I would want a second pair of bunks there too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

C-Val

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the design change I did. I slid the winch arm up near the top of the post and then added the oak wedge and then put the strap under the roller instead of over it. That was the magic number for my boat. If a person knows this from the start, just make sure Mike does the equivalent of this at his factory before the trailer even leaves. He will do whatever you want - I just didn't know. Now that I know how well this works, I may get it welded

Wish you the best!
Gene&Mary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghone, C-Val- what model of RR trailer did you buy? A Fishin C, thanks for the information on the longer tandem 4000.

C-Val- it looks like your design change moves the boat's attachment eye from above the roller to below the roller. Does this make the boat sit flatter on the trailer, not allow the bow to bounce or ???

Thanks
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice fix for tying off the boat. However it certainly is vulnerable to quick stops where the boat tends to come forward. The inertia of the boat will use that roller arm as a lever and go right on over.

At least one Brat has had a bad result because the roller arm and support wouldn't hold the boat. Can't you get a longer vertical arm from whoever made the trailer? That way you don't have to jury rig a fix.

Boris
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Trailers Reply with quote

Gene & Mary,
If you are going to a single axle model, the "EZ Loader" came out on top after assessing several available on market. They are fully galvanized including wheels and bow support post, are "bolted" (not welded) together, use torsion suspension which is much smoother on road (and) provides about a five inch lower profile (easier launch), have "oil filled" hub lubrication, corrosion protected surge disc brakes, and 100% LED lighting. They offer a multitude of bunk choices with factory assistance.

C-Val

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Road Runner trailer I bought is the 4800 series for carrying weight up to 5950 lbs. I am so glad I went with the heavier tandem since my last trailer was single axle. There are so many advantages!

You are exactly right in saying the bow ring is now tucked under the winch roller. If you want to talk about a scary design, having the bow ring and strap sitting on top of the roller gives absolutely no protection from the boat sliding forward under sudden stop. Now that I understand how its supposed to sit, using my prototype, I can get a longer vertical post welded on as a permanent fix. I had to experiment at first to try to understand what was wrong with my setup. It was so hard loading and unloading pulling the boat ring over the winch roller. Now its wonderful.

Under my current layout, my bunks are just a bit shy of reaching the transom - perfect for me so I don't hit my transducer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: