thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the way life should be lived! Especially on a C Dory!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to you and your crew! This past March Linda and I attended a presentation including slides, given by a couple who finished the great loop. It was amazing! The dream of many, the experience of a few!
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on completing the "Loop" again. We enjoyed meeting you two in Clinton, Iowa, and giving you a short driving tour of Clinton. Glad that you rode out the hurricane with little damage.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

irlboater wrote:
Thank you all for the positive comments. Many friends have asked me why I would want to do the loop for a second or third time. They ask if there are other adventures that I would like to do. Yes, I have other adventures on my mind but the logistics of doing the grand adventure called America's Great Loop have become almost frivolous to me.
My second and third loops were much easier for me. I didn't even have a packing list the third time. I loaded the boat, put it in the water and was off in a matter of hours. I don't have the anxiety that I had for my first trip. I'm not worried how I will get gas. I'm not worried if I will enjoy the adventure. I'm not worried if my boat is too small. All of those questions that I had on my first trip.
I like to say that this trip is a good balance between comfort and adventure. We stopped at towns that we missed on previous trips and revisited some towns that we enjoyed. There are places along the route that I could visit every year. I feel free traveling the waterways. That's why I'm planning my fourth trip in 2019.
Our route will take us up through Lake Champlain to Montreal. Down the Rideau Canal, across Lake Ontario and the western Erie Canal. I'm hoping to portage from Lake Erie to the Ohio River then down the Tenn-Tom Waterway. It should take six months or less. Say hello if you see Salty on the water!

"Good balance between comfort and adventure" & "I Feel free traveling the waterways" That is beautiful! Enjoy!!

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathon,
Several of us are interested on where and how you got fuel on the Mississippi River below the confluence with the Ohio this year?

Thanks.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's time to write a book on doing the loop? Favorite places to stop, what to take, where to get fuel, etc.. Sign me up for the first edition. Thumbs Up
irlboater

City/Region: Melbourne Beach
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Salty
Photos: Salty
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Jonathon,
Several of us are interested on where and how you got fuel on the Mississippi River below the confluence with the Ohio this year?

Thanks.

My 22’ C-Dory, Salty can carry about 55 gallons of gas. That gives me a theoretical range of 275 miles, optimistically. I have 2 twenty gallon gas tanks and 2 seven gallon gas cans that I stow against the gunnel just behind the cockpit steps. I use luggage carts to wheel the gas cans from land based gas stations.
Getting gas can be challenging downstream of Hoppies on the Mississippi River. My next refueling opportunity was up Little River Diversion Canal. I had read the blog of Pat and Patty Anderson aboard Daydream where they describe their ordeal getting gas at Scott City near Cape Girardeau. Three miles of shallow water to an interstate overpass to climb over rocks and walk the on ramp to the station. It was not the easiest way to refuel so I only made one run.
At the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, I was prepared to walk the mile to the gas station from the boat ramp but the guys at Economy Boat Store, a barge refueling company in Wickliffe, Kentucky (mile 951) topped off my tank with 26 gallons.
I took on 40 gallons at Memphis Yacht Club (mile 736) and another 40 gallons at Greenville Yacht Club (mile 536).
An employee at Ergon Boat Store (mile 436) in Vicksburg drove to the gas station to top off my tanks with 14 gallons.
My next stop was to visit a friend on the Atchafalaya River. We made three runs to the gas station to take on 42 gallons of gas. That was enough to get me 247 miles to Sea Brook Marina in New Orleans.
Having the portable gas cans and the folding luggage carts to wheel my gas from gas stations has given me options in obtaining fuel and allowed me to get gas which is much cheaper than purchasing at marinas.
We enjoyed the challenge and adventure of refueling on the Lower Mississippi River.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done it, but it occurs to me that if you're patient your could just drift down the Mississippi with the engine off or at idle, using it only when needed for avoiding obstacles, tows, etc. This would stretch the range a lot. At low engine revs, my flow meter calculates my boat range at over 400 miles on full tanks. At idle, the flow meter only registers intermittent fuel flow (when the engine low pressure pump cycles).
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jonathan. That is a good guide line for other C Brats who want to do the free running Mississippi. (Below the last lock/dam)

ssobol wrote:
I haven't done it, but it occurs to me that if you're patient your could just drift down the Mississippi with the engine off or at idle, using it only when needed for avoiding obstacles, tows, etc. This would stretch the range a lot. At low engine revs, my flow meter calculates my boat range at over 400 miles on full tanks. At idle, the flow meter only registers intermittent fuel flow (when the engine low pressure pump cycles).

I have only done the upper 400 miles, and some of the lower 200 miles of the Mississippi., I would count on running the motor at a fast idle to give steerage way. A concern I would have is how the boat would orient in the river without steerage of the motor (ie broad side to current, or even stern down first) when driving by only the current.) Also it is easy to be thrown out of the main current where there are back eddies. If the wind is strong, it is possible for a high profile boat to be blown up river--so that can be a factor.

The current velocity can vary a great deal, but to make over 8 miles a gallon with the engine at a fast idle is entirely possible.

Low power vessels (row boats, canoes, kayaks and rafts do the Mississippi every year.)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I would enjoy a lot of the loop at hull speed Mr. Green, but I wonder how far my 6 hp kicker would allow me to go on 40 gallons at 5mph? Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: