View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: New Garmin Active Captain App Reply with quote

Yesterday I received an email from the folks at Active Captain explaining the original Active Captain app is being replaced by a new one to be managed by Garmin. This action is in line with the sale of Active Captain to Garmin. While I do not run Garmin electronics on our boat (it's all Raymarine equipment), it is my understanding the new app will still include free of charge all of the standard Active Captain data. For folks running Garmin electronics the app will also include some new functionality that the rest of us will simply not utilize.

I anxiously downloaded the app and so far find it amazingly slow and generally awful. It must just be me. I must be doing something wrong. I am running the Android app on a 1-year old Samsung Tab 2 tablet. No doubt many other Brats have installed the new Garmin Active Captain app. How is it working for you? At this point I can't imagine using it much anymore which really bothers me. I have found the Active Captain data to be a very valuable resource and do not want to lose it. I do have access to the data using my Aqua Map app, but I have always deferred to the Active Captain app because it has been so fast and user friendly. Both of those aspects appear to have vanished with the new app unless I am doing something wrong....

What are others finding?

Rob
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far and very responsive on a Samsung Note 8. I need to connect it to our chartplotter to load more maps and do updates.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basics from app page...

The free all-in-one ActiveCaptain™ app provides a powerful connection to your Garmin chartplotter, charts, maps and the community for the ultimate connected boating experience. Wherever you are, you’ll have unlimited access to your cartography, be able to purchase new maps and charts, and have access to the Garmin Quickdraw™ Contours Community. Connect to the ActiveCaptain community for up-to-date feedback on marinas and other points of interest. Smart Notifications¹ on your chartplotter screen keep you connected with everyone else. Plan a trip or pre-fish a lake, and ActiveCaptain will automatically sync with your chartplotter. Even view and control your chartplotter from your smartphone or tablet while you’re on the water.

- OneChart™ lets you access all your charts and maps from your mobile device and purchase new ones
- Receive Smart Notifications¹, such as calls and texts, on your chartplotter display when paired with the app
- Connect to fellow boaters with the ActiveCaptain community for up-to-date feedback on marinas and other points of interest
- Make, save and transfer routes and waypoints between the app and chartplotter
- Easily upload and download the latest Garmin Quickdraw Contours content from the community
- Download software updates and notifications from the app to your Garmin devices
- View and control your chartplotter from your smartphone or tablet
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted several comments on the Garmin update thread.

Basically to use all of the features of the latest Garmin Helm and the Active Captain app, you will have to use either a very limited number of current chart plotters (ones over a year old so far don't work), and a whole new line.

Garmin Blue Chart Mobile still works fine--and that is how I access Active Captain when cruising.

The I OS Active Captain App still is not in the I OS store, There is a Active Captain Locations app. The nautical maps of NOAA or Aqua Map both loaded quickly There are a lot of people with boat cards--who show up on the map. But none of the Active Captain anchorages, hazards, marinas etc.

Although I have used NOAA charts for years, there are far better charts now, including Garmin & Navionics. Aquamaps, which are glitzy, don't seem to add much to navigation information...and I would not use them over Navionics for navigation.

I don't have any real desire to see where other subscriber's to Active Captain's boats are--although amount my "friends" are many of the C Dory boats. (most of which seem to be "at home" now.)

Garmin Helm, currently is not in the I pad store in the USA, although I have used it in the past (may have been a beta?) on another iPad. It is also possible that Garmin has pulled the app since there many changes with the latest re-iteration of Garmin/Active Captain interface.

Apparently the newest apps are not in the Apple store, but are in Google store. I'll have to get an android I use for testing and try them tomorrow

Greg--Can you get the new maps to upload on your Garmin Chart plotter?
My understanding is that it only works with the latest models--and there is no update for a model a year or so old.--or even some of the current models, which were first marketed several years ago, even though they do interphase with the chart plotter.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Just ran updates for both boats and fired up the new app to see what it could do. It can connect to the 741xs and recognize the maps installed and allow me to download them over the web to the app for detailed maps within the active captain map screen. That works fine but the ability to sync waypoints/routes, do software updates, and smart notifications from the app to plotter are deactivated.

It looks like our units are one generation behind the curve for full functionality. I will be pulling the old AC app off my phone and using this new one in its place as it has garmin mapping now and nice tide/current features and a quick interface plus the helm app can go as well because that is also included.

Greg
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Thanks,
Those functions should just be software controlled, so my suspicion is that if Garmin wanted to, they could allow full function with our "last generation" chart plotters...Of course the new ones are 2x as expensive...
ActiveCaptain

City/Region: Key Largo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Those functions should just be software controlled, so my suspicion is that if Garmin wanted to, they could allow full function with our "last generation" chart plotters...Of course the new ones are 2x as expensive...

But the app does support older chartplotters wherever it can now. The only time functionality isn't supported is when the chartplotter doesn't have the hardware needed to perform the function.

I think the chart on Garmin's website showing compatibility is causing more harm than good. That list is showing the chartplotters with full support - everything possible in the app will be supported by those chartplotters.

But for many users, the new app will allow them to use OneChart. With that, you can manually register the chartplotter into the app and then use the same charts on the app and chartplotter.

So let's say you own an older Garmin chartplotter that's "not supported." You can download the app for free, register the chartplotter manually, and then have access to full charts on the app. I think that for some older chartplotters, registering the device will actually allow you to update the charts in the chartplotter to later versions for free too. That's not as obvious and I haven't tried all combinations.

And the iOS version is coming. I've been using it for a while as a tester. Apple held it up because of a technical reason. It'll be free in the app store within a few days.

beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated my Garmin 7612 this weekend. I got it connected to the new ActiveCaptain app. I'm pretty impressed with the integration. I wasn't even aware the 7600 series had bluetooth.

But with that connection, I can choose to have some of my phone notifications appear on my chartplotter like calls, texts, emails, etc. Not that I really want to be reading all that from my chartplotter, but it will be nice not missing something important since I frequently don't hear calls / texts from my wife when I'm on the water.

I had been using the Garmin Helm app. This new ActiveCaptain app seems to replace that with a similar function. Although I can't seem to get the chartplotter image to fill up the entire screen the way I used to be able to do with Helm.

This may have been my last SD card based chartplotter software update as well since future updates should go through the app directly.

It's quite the major update.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the less than full screen nature of the new Helm feature in the app as well. I was blaming my widescreen phone format but will have to compare the old app to it and see if there is a difference. They may have optimized the format for tablets instead of phones?

Greg
ActiveCaptain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotate the phone to landscape mode?

It works full screen for me.
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ActiveCaptain wrote:
Rotate the phone to landscape mode?

Of course. It does get bigger, but it doesn't take up the entire screen like Helm used to. There's some kind of application border still around it. On a tablet it wouldn't matter, but for a phone every 1/4" counts. I still have the Helm app so I'll take screen shots of each next time I'm at the boat.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Jeff Siegel for his response. Looking forward to the I OS updates.
ActiveCaptain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iOS version of the new ActiveCaptain app is now available. Search "Garmin ActiveCaptain" in the app store.

Tech support should be directed to tech support in the app or within Garmin. There's a whole team standing by to help there.

Enjoy!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using Active Captain, do you have to have other charting (Navionics or something) on the same device? I have not used AC but think maybe this would be a good time to get on board.

I am assuming you do not have to have Garmin on your tablet (so Android by Samsung should work?)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the app. Looks great--but since I don't keep my chart plotters on the boat, or hooked up, when not using the boat--cannot really use many features until I sync with the chart plotters. Will still use the Blue Charts Mobile for planning.

I'll have to climb up on the boat and hook up my chart plotters to power them up and "register" them. I suspect that then will give me the charts on the Garmin Active Captain app. (just not allowed to climb on the boat, after my last cardiac procedure.)

Harvey, I have been using Garmin Blue Charts Mobile with Active Captain for some time. I would suggest using that. When I do the "Chart" in the Garmin Active Captain App, without downloading them--to my chart plotter, it gives all of the Active Captain information, but only the crude base map. I noticed that C maps apparently also have Active Captain.

There are other charting apps which have Active Captain integrated in them. However you can view Active Captain on the web site, which has changed some, recently at activecaptain.Com. I would suggest that you spend some time there to become familiar with the many features.
[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: