View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: How do I make my screen bigger? Reply with quote

I got a good deal on my GPS/Radar so I bought it online w/o realizing I wanted it to be bigger. Any ideas on what I can do now? My eyes are too old for this size screen! lol

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Break out another `$1000 or two, and buy a 10 to 12" chart plotter... But be sure it is the latest model. See my comments on Garmin updates. Garmin now is going to be downloading changes (and I believe Active Captain?) Via their newest app (free), but only limited chart plotters currently will do this...new series coming along shortly...

The reason I went to a 10" plotter, is that when watching Radar, I split the screen--chart or depth sounder on 1/2 and Radar or Radar/chart overlay on the other half. With the 10", the 1/2 screen is almost as large as the 7" with a top to bottom orientation. (or the dedicated LCD used 7" Furuno.

The other option is to run two MFD--which I do--one 10" and keep the 7". have the zoom in image on one plotter, and the display which has a wider display of the surrounding area (zoomed out).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what size that screen is, but it looks like a 7" touch. And you may already have a radar overlay. In that case, skip the following.

That's what I have and I find that if I run the radar overlay on the charting application it's big enough. I can avoid having a split screen because the chart shows as does the radar overlay. And the charting values (depth, shorelines) can be seen.

I don't know what it takes to get radar overlay on the Garmin. Also they just bought Navionics, so I'd wait awhile before I got another Garmin to see what they do with Navionics. Presently I've heard that they don't allow Navionics charts to run on Garmin.

Or, you can find a screen stretcher.

Boris
ken35216

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
I'm not sure what size that screen is, but it looks like a 7" touch. And you may already have a radar overlay. In that case, skip the following.

Boris

It is the 7" touch and does have the overlay.
ken35216

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

The other option is to run two MFD--which I do--one 10" and keep the 7". have the zoom in image on one plotter, and the display which has a wider display of the surrounding area (zoomed out).

What type of MFD would you recommend?
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

What type of MFD would you recommend?

Ken, since you have Garmin and with the Radar and Transducers you have, the Garmin GPSMAP 1022/1222 GPSMAP 1022xsv/1222xsv: GPSMAP1042xsv/1242xsv:

All appear to have the ability to use the just released Garmin App, with Active Captain. It is not clear if the older ones can be software upgraded.

The 10XX will only set you back about $2,000 and the 12XX will only be $2600...plus shipping and tax if applied...

However you can still use the GPSMAP® 1040xs-which is as low as $900 without any transducers. (since you have the transducer--I would go that way)
The GPSMAP® 1040xs communicates with the I phone, so theoretically it should work with the new app. But there may be some reason it will not...
Look at devices which are compatible with your radar--and if you want the app--cross reference with those which use the new app.

However I probably would wait a few weeks to see what bug there are in this whole new system...plus there may be some fix to older and less expensive units of the same size, and capability,

Another way to go, is to use an I pad, Android tab etc with the "Garmin Helm" application--and view the screen on an I pad--for example and I pad Pro 12" with cell (does not have to be activated) and 64 gig costs $929.99 at Best Buy.
I got a 10.5" with 256 Gig, for about 800 recently. Put a i pad holder up and you are good to go. We use the I pad, with Navionics as well as the Garmin. Although you can only view what is on your Garmin screen, we have used the Radar on the 7" Garmin, to the I pad, and the 10" MFD for charts and sonar. Marie can watch the radar on the 10.5" I pad, while I concentrate on driving and the chart plotter/sonar.
ken35216

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thataway"]
ken35216 wrote:

Another way to go, is to use an I pad, Android tab etc with the "Garmin Helm" application--and view the screen on an I pad--for example and I pad Pro 12" with cell (does not have to be activated) and 64 gig costs $929.99 at Best Buy.
I got a 10.5" with 256 Gig, for about 800 recently. Put a i pad holder up and you are good to go. We use the I pad, with Navionics as well as the Garmin. Although you can only view what is on your Garmin screen, we have used the Radar on the 7" Garmin, to the I pad, and the 10" MFD for charts and sonar. Marie can watch the radar on the 10.5" I pad, while I concentrate on driving and the chart plotter/sonar.

I looked and can get a 12.9 inch iPad for under $800 and a holder for $30. That might just be the best and simplest way for me to go.

Thanks Doc!!!
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

I looked and can get a 12.9 inch iPad for under $800 and a holder for $30. That might just be the best and simplest way for me to go.

Thanks Doc!!!

True, but be sure it is not wi fi only--and has the cellular function--because the wifi only requires an external GPS, and the cellular plus wi fi has the GPS chip built in. Best Buy has them at just under $800 with the 128 gig memory. The GPS is not essential for use with the Garmin Helm--but for alternate navigation it is. Also we use the I pad in the car with Waze, Google maps, several apps for car travel/motels, etc as well as the Garmin or built in navigation system. Also with the keyboard cover, wireless printing etc--it can do almost everything the computer can.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The I-Pad may work for charting and navigation OK. I would check carefully to see if you can get radar to it. It will work for a lot of things a specific MFD (Multi Function Display) would not do, but the MFD may be more specific to your boating needs. Garmin is great stuff, but my boat came with RayMarine already there, and it was the largest display they had available. I would never have paid the money for that if I had been setting up the boat, but I am sure glad the prior owner did. He knew what he was doing, and did a great job of putting in the proper equipment.

These were taken before I started using the split screen for near and far with the radar overlay on the one closest to the 3-5 mile area. The adjustments on the screen can vary the font sizes and that does help. There is radar and radar overlay showing on the top screen.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also switch the Helm app to control mode and run the whole device from the larger screen. That is what I would do and just mount it next to the MFD.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
jbdba01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Thataway said...but with a slight twist. Buy a second [used] one and put them side by side - viola 14" screen. Network them if you can. I'm about to do that with a Lowrance 9". One will be Gen1 the other gen 3. One will run side scan, the other up/down or gps.

Plus you get the redundancy.

Chicks dig redundancy..."Wow you have 2 GPS units. Are you from around here?" Thumbs Up
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I make my screen bigger? Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
I got a good deal on my GPS/Radar so I bought it online w/o realizing I wanted it to be bigger. Any ideas on what I can do now? My eyes are too old for this size screen! lol

Build a bracket that brings the screen closer, makes a world of difference.
This mode not only makes the screen easier to read the vertical lift is way more ergonomic.
The material needs to be stout, believe I used ¼ “aluminum flat stock and that piece of channel I found somewhere. Painted it black to match.

[b[/b]

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, That looks pretty nice, and also give you a flat fascia if you wanted to mount some other gauges, switches or ......

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

ken35216

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone and thanks again Dr. Bob!

I love it and much better for my needs!!

hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta like it Cool Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Big, beautiful and Redundant Duplicity.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: