The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Small Aluminum Boats
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Gregor 12"3" Reply with quote

I bought a good condition Gregor 12'3" welded skiff with a brand new 9.9 mercury on a good trailer. Two swivel seats and some other gear including two anchors. I paid $1050 which was a real deal. Things I would look out for in a buy:
#1 rivet repairs and leaks if they will let you fill the boat with some water
#2 weld repairs, there are lines of stress on some boats caused by speed and rough water
#3 Oars. Not cheap and an aluminium skiff tends to be wide and need longer oars than you think.
#4 Get home motor. A good trolling motor and large battery will work for some.
#5 Some kind of shade, it gets hot in a tin boat in the summer.
#6 Total weight that all up you can push by yourself. I can move my full rig up hill into our garage if needed.
PS: I had to look long and hard to fine a good used Gregor.
Bob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I bought a good condition Gregor 12'3" welded skiff with a brand new 9.9 mercury on a good trailer. Two swivel seats and some other gear including two anchors. I paid $1050

I hope you fly your pirate flag when aboard! Smoking deal! Great points about repairs.

When I first moved to Fl. we bought a beater jon boat for a hundred bucks. There were some leaking rivets and several welds, where there had been continuation of the cracks.

We ID'ed the loose rivets, then hit the entire bottom inside and out with a wire brush in a angle grinder. Reset the loose rivets, and used JB Weld on the cracks. I got some two part epoxy driveway/garage floor paint, and coated the inside and outside of the floor with that.

We used the boat for 6 years almost daily and never had another leak or extension of the cracks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is how the boat is finished inside. I just commented on an eighteen aluminum boat on THT. There are Ribs or "frames" of aluminum inverted "U". The points between the frames, was filled with foam. Water traps above and thru the foam. Also the center of the boat had a storage area--carpeted, and probably foamed to the bottom. Water would not drain from the bow to stern--because of lack of proper "limber" holes. The owner has torn out the floors, the foam, and wonders if he should replace foam and handle the drainage.

This is why I do not like the "bass boat" type of finish--lots of compartments, carpet over all. It goes bad in a few years; Repairs are difficult. Foam in the bottom hides it, and is required by law in that size boat...but it would be far better to have the floatation up under the gunnels, and water be able to freely flow from the bow to the sump at the stern and pumped out.

The "utility" type of boat, with open ribs/frames where you can see what is happening). Floatation under thwarts, bow platform and gunnels is often a more practical choice.
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: alum boat Reply with quote

i have a 24' aluminum boat made by sea ark. It is a 2000 model and has a 2000 90 HP carburated Honda outboard just shy of 3,100 hours (still purrs like a kitten). I use the rig commercially. The hull is all-welded without rivets. Would assume the smaller sea ark boats are likewise well-made.
http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After swamping our little 13' Featherlite aluminum boat in the fall of 2001, we bought a a 16' Smokercraft at the Tacoma Boat Show in January 2002. It had a steering console, pedestal seats and a 50 hp Yamaha. The whole story of how this came to be is in a 2009 blog I wrote entitled How We Got a C-Dory. We loved that boat, and 2002 was our summer of boating fun. Patty wouldn't go out overnight on it for some reason, I guess boat campingwas not her thing (it still isn't). Then we saw a C-Dory 22 Cruiser on a mooring buoy at Active Cove on Patos Island, and that was all she wrote! Patty said "I could go out overnight on THAT boat!" I didn't know when, I didn't know how, but I knew from that moment on I would have one!

Would a Smokercraft 16 meet your needs? Who knows but you? We were not really critical buyers back in 2002! As far as an aluminum boat, it was easy to launch and retrieve, was pretty fast and handled really well. We crabbed from it mostly, and it worked fine for us. But it probably could not take the beating that a heavier welded aluminum boat could take.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Yellowstone National Park they rent Klamath boats, they take a ton of abuse in really nasty conditions. Nice boats. They just keep on ticking. http://klamathboats.com

Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Smokercraft is the only one we have seen so far.....at Boat Country in Everett. We had a 14' 2003 Lund before the CDory. I was surprised at how "substantial" the 16' Smokercraft looked. We plan on looking at Master Marine next at the Lund and Crestliner and maybe Cabela's.

Weight is a consideration so we plan to stay away from the thicker aluminum.

Any suggestions for other marinas or stores to check out before the Boat Show?

Good point on the marine grade alloys, AstoriaDave. Unless I missed it in the specs, none of the boats I have googled has included the aluminum alloy.

Thanks for everybody's experience and insight.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lund and Crestliner are built at the same plants, and use 5052-H34. The majority of small recreational boats are going to use 5052 H36 or H34. For the welded and mid size boats you are more likely to see 5083 series aluminum. The "H" indicates the degree of hardening, which may be cold worked or heat treated. The more important issue may be thickness of the sheets of Aluminum and how it is formed and supported. Minimum thickness of the metal should be 0.090 or more. Certainly these aluminum alloys can corrode and be subject to electrolysis. It is really important to wash the boats down very well and get all of the salt out of the boat.
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 17" Silverstreak at Tom and Jerry's in Anacortes. Very nice and rugged looking boat with a cabin.
haliman

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check these out also.
http://www.raiderboats.com
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a guy in a Klamath around Sequim. He is a crabber, and that boat is shaped to take on some waves and come out on top. I don't really know much about it, but I like the high bow, and I have seen him come in with some stupendous loads. If I were looking for an aluminum boat, Klamath is one to consider.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

dave

City/Region: Riverview
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did spend a lot of time researching boats and evaluating them for my intended uses. I decided on the Alumaweld because of the heavier plate. Klamath was my second choice. They are good boats and have some nice design features.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: