View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Small Aluminum Boats Reply with quote

Anybody have any thoughts on comparisons between aluminum boats in the 16'-18' range? In this area it seems the most available boats are Lund, Smokercraft and Crestliner.

Thanks
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Aluminum Boats Reply with quote

Gene&Mary wrote:
Anybody have any thoughts on comparisons between aluminum boats in the 16'-18' range? In this area it seems the most available boats are Lund, Smokercraft and Crestliner.

Thanks

What is your intended use? Salt/fresh? Dragging crab pots over the side? Trolling with down riggers? etc...

Gene&Mary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt water. Recreation and short trips mainly in Lopez Sound, crabbing, fishing in protected waters.....any longer trips around the San Juans would be in nice weather.
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 14 ft Lund with a 9.9 Suzuki that we use for crabbing , Had a older Hewscraft before the lund but it had to sharp of a edge on the guunel and was chaffing the rope when pulling the pots.
I really like the Lund boat, well made for a riveted boat.very stable.

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the choice would be between riveted or welded boats (usually a heavier gauge of aluminum.) Tiller steered vs console steered, seats vs thwarts.

Duckworth, Alumaweld, Hewescraft, Klamath, Valco (closed down a few years ago, but I owned one) & Lowe are a few of others to throw into the mix.

I owned a couple Duroboats which were made in the PNW, but moved to Tennessee. A 16 did the Loop a few years ago. They are extrusion fitted--no welds, and no rivets in the hull--only for thwarts.

For durability hard to beat the welded heavier gauge metal boats. I have used aluminum skiffs as tenders for several of my larger boats and they can take a lot of abuse.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a welded hull and am a bit partial to Stanley Boats - built in Parry Sound Ontario. They custom build boats from around 12' to 50'. Popular in Ontario and shipped to many countries around the world.
dave

City/Region: Riverview
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered and bought a 16 Alumaweld Talon with a 60HP Yamaha motor. The closest dealer was in Michigan. I spent a lot of time researching boats, hull design, intended use, etc. I even went to the Seattle Boat Show, and I live in Florida. My boat is the old style welded boat with 1/4 inch plate. The boat is tough as nails. It was certainly more expensive than most boats. The fit and finish was better than I expected. I still have it. It does what I expect out of it. It isn't sleek or fancy. I pulled into a dock one time, and the guy said it looked like a military boat. I took that as a compliment, because it is absolutely functional.
dave

City/Region: Riverview
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW my use is in salt water. I have unfortunately been in seas I couldn't see over the top. I have never been concerned for my safety in this boat because of any design or product defects.

A good source for information is at aluminumalloyboats.com
They have a list of most aluminum boat manufacturers and lots of other info.
Gene&Mary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of a thwart before Bob. Thanks for the lesson. I would have called it a bench seat.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive spent hundreds of hours in a fishing buddy's 16' smokercraft. Its riveted and pretty lightweight. The 50hp Honda will make it fly faster than I ever wanted to go, or feel safe. What's great about them is they are so light a single person can adjust their position on the trailer.

That being said, I would buy a welded aluminum boat as opposed to riveted. Also I would choose my boat by the gauge of the aluminum and less by the brand name. the heavier gauge the better. Aluminum is much harder to repair so durability is key. I've seen some really well built boats by builders I've never heard of before.

I have really admired the quality and workmanship of Wooldridge and Duckworth boats.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We owned a nice 17ft Lund and spent lots of time with a 18ft Tracker as well. In short, we have seen enough weld problems to trust rivets more for the lighter built brands. Also, painted hulls no matter the promises, don't last in the salt, so go with a bare finish or be ready to deal with peeling issues within two seasons.

When faced with buying a small utility boat recently, we went with a fiberglass cat and are very happy with it.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Stanley Boats - built in Parry Sound Ontario Reply with quote

Take a look at their web site. Really nice designs. I want a 26' bow door landing craft model with two side doors, stern door to twin engines on a bracket with dive ladder (and a kicker in the middle), a drop on camping module that can take the place of my AWD UTE in the bow, an enclosed rear steering station for two, pot puller stations on both sides, honking big winches both bow and stern, full electronics top rack with lights, gas powered hydraulic small boat hoist big enough to lift in cargo/UTE's/camping module, aluminum tender, stern mount bar-b-q, generator, 500 miles of fuel in two tanks, self bailing floors, two large in floor fish boxes, ARB fridge/freezer, 100+ gallons of fresh water, C-head composting toilet, fresh/saltwater wash downs, shore line reels, two big house banks with solar charging, start batteries for each engine, all the electric control good stuff, all LED lights, diesel heater with day tank, propane heater with fiberglass twin tanks, camper bank for the stern area, outside seating with storage and I just got started. The GoFundMe site for this boat is: buybobatoy.com
Bob
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stanley Boats - built in Parry Sound Ontario Reply with quote

bobjarrard wrote:
Take a look at their web site. Really nice designs. I want a 26' bow door landing craft model with two side doors, stern door to twin engines on a bracket with dive ladder (and a kicker in the middle), a drop on camping module that can take the place of my AWD UTE in the bow, an enclosed rear steering station for two, pot puller stations on both sides, honking big winches both bow and stern, full electronics top rack with lights, gas powered hydraulic small boat hoist big enough to lift in cargo/UTE's/camping module, aluminum tender, stern mount bar-b-q, generator, 500 miles of fuel in two tanks, self bailing floors, two large in floor fish boxes, ARB fridge/freezer, 100+ gallons of fresh water, C-head composting toilet, fresh/saltwater wash downs, shore line reels, two big house banks with solar charging, start batteries for each engine, all the electric control good stuff, all LED lights, diesel heater with day tank, propane heater with fiberglass twin tanks, camper bank for the stern area, outside seating with storage and I just got started. The GoFundMe site for this boat is: buybobatoy.com
Bob

hey Bob, You live in the right state (of mind) Go bet me 100K that I am going to buy that one for you, and lets see how soon you get it Shocked Very Happy CoolSmile

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 foot riveted smoker craft 1975 model used 5 months out of the year every year since. Has a 25 hp e-tech and steering console. No leaks after being used as a boat, moving trailer for furniture, sitting in the open, filled with ice one winter due to plugged drain hole.

So, while I agree that welded is nice and maybe better, don't let a bargain on a riveted hull get away.

My boat without the engine is worth about 1000 bucks including trailer. The 4 grand in the motor runs the price up.

Oh, not for sale. Just sayin' don't write off riveted.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene&Mary wrote:
Salt water. Recreation and short trips mainly in Lopez Sound, crabbing, fishing in protected waters.....any longer trips around the San Juans would be in nice weather.
Sounds like you are getting plenty of advice, especially comparing rivetted versus welded construction.

I live in a salt water / brackish water area. Either construction method can perform well, with adequate maintenance and quality manufacture. In any case ask what alloy was used if your service will be on salt water. The marine grade alloys hold up much better.

The local fishboat construction shops are very particular about that. You should be, also.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: