Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oregun01

City/Region: Culver
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Will I be happy? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and have very little experience with Pilothouse boats . I've owned a 19'Bay-liner for a few years and now have a 22 foot pontoon boat with a 150 outboard. I'm ready for a change, my kids are moved out and i have no reason to haul 12-15 people around any more. I want to have the option to fish the Columbia River in crappy weather and spending multiple day trips on the water. I'm looking for a safe, fuel efficient, comfortable boat and C-Dory seems to be that boat but before I make a 60K-90K investment I want to try out used one out for a year or two. The boat description below is for sale under 30K but I'm worried about it being under powered? Will this boat be a good test or should I keep looking for something with more power/bigger? Your first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

2006 C-Dory 22' Classic Cruiser
Original Owner.
60 hp Mercury (under 200hrs)
9.9 hp Mercury
Two Fuel Tanks.
Hydraulic trim tabs.
Garmin GPS.
Hummingbird Fishfinder.
Trailer included.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most on this site really like the CD 22' cruiser (they seem happy).

Here's my take on a few of your requirements:
Safe? - This is mostly a function of the experience of the skipper.
Fuel efficient? - Compared to? Generally, yes.
Comfortable? - Compared to a pontoon boat, most likely and dryer.
Engine Power - I'd go bigger - at least 100hp.

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "There's two ways to be unhappy. One is to not
get what you want. The other is to get what you want."
Grandpa used to say, "Grandma is correct. True happiness is found
inside us, not outside."

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: cd-22 Reply with quote

When we bought our first cd cruiser 22 it came with 50hp Honda it pushed the boat with 3 big guys all over 240lb about 15-16 mph topped out . The 60 hp if its a big foot design (bigger lower unit from a 90hp merc) then you should get a little better performance .Most cd -22 are run around 13-15 mph cruise topping out about 25-30 mph this is with a 90 hp .
So it all depends on how you use your boat 1-2 guys fishing or loaded down for cruising .We did sell the Honda and purchased a 90 hp Suzuki. If the price is right buy the boat run it and see if its good if not trade in the 60 and get the new merc 115 CT Then you will have a 35-38mph cd-22 .

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came from a Pontoon boat, then a 1988 268 Searay Sundancer. Yes, I love my CD22. Yes it is very seaworthy. I have a Mercury 115hp 4 stroke EFI on mine, but it came with that. I think a 90 or twin 40's/50's would be fine. Colby
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We picked up a 2005 CD22 with a Suzuki 90 this spring. My wife and I use it on the great lakes for overnighters ranging from 4 to 15 days at a time. We travel heavily loaded. With a 400+ lb engine, 90 lb kicker, cockpit flooring, 40 gal gas, 15 gal water, and all the stuff that goes with a 2 week outing, the aft waterline is way under water. My observations:

• Being able to pilot, walk around, cook, and eat under roof, regardless of weather, is a wonderful experience.
• The 90 quickly kicks it up onto a plane with trim tabs all the way up and engine tilt set for level running.
• Max speed is 30mph at WOT.
• Running at 30mph, even small ripples are unpleasant due to the flat bottom. I have no desire to increase max speed.
• Cruising speed for us is 18 to 20mph at 70 to 75% WOT and about 4mpg.
• We’ve been out in some rough stuff. Straight into 5 foot or so waves, occasionally coming over the bow, with water washing up windshield. Slow and steady, not exactly comfortable, but no concerns. Going in the opposite direction, no problem, just keep the bow up. If you surf into the following wave be prepared for some bow steering, which can be disconcerting if not prepared.

Overall, we are very happy with the boat. We made the right choice.

bruce
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, "happiness" is a personal thing. From my perspective, the 60 hp motor would be under-powered for a 22, but that would depend on what speeds you expect. One of the many great things about the 22 is its versatility, and a larger motor gives you the flexibility to run fast or slow. The downside of using a smaller than optimal motor means you will have to run it harder to get to a mid-teens cruise speed than you will with a 90 to 115 hp option.

As far as the pilothouse aspect, it will greatly expand your days on the water. You can spend more time out and not be cold, wet, or fried from the sun. Every boat has its place, and the usage you describe would be great with a C-Dory.

If the boat you're looking at is a good buy, you can always run it, determine if you like the pilothouse life (you will)... and if you need more power, trade up to a larger motor later.

Apparently, the current owner has made it work for a decade. There are some owners who are content to cruise along at hull speed, so the smaller motor is a non-issue for them.

Good luck with the decisions.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the lower HP motor will be a thorn in your experience, especially if you want to take the boat to higher elevation lakes. We just repowered from a carburetor Honda 90, to an EFI Suzuki 115 for that reason.

If you want to anchor up in the Columbia, it's not as easy with a CDory when compared to an open bow boat. However... It sure is nice to be out of the rain and cold.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who say that boat is a little underpowered. But, if you keep the boat light, it will be satisfactory, and you will have planing speeds. Not a lot to loose if under $30K. See if you can get the price down--do a sea trial and explain to the seller--what your goal is. If the boat won't do 20 mph at 5,000 RPM, then I would walk. As most, I have run 90 hp on my 22's. I think that is an excellent size motor.

Current Merc 60's are just under one liter, and the 75/90/115 series are about 2.2 liters. It appears as if the 2006 60 HP Merc is the same block.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that price, if the boat is decent, get it and definitely do thus......
Add another 60, and you will be cruising with the ob's just lopeing and you will have the advantage of the twins at slow manouvering speeds.

Harvey
[b]SleepyC[/b] Moon

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might consider doing as Harvey suggests, but after making the following calculation: figure the total cost of purchased boat + another 60 rigged and the transom holes repaired.(approaching 10K with a new motor). Then determine if a 2006 CD 22 with twin 60's is easily marketable for that much money. Maybe you can locate a nicer used Merc 60 to have installed? A single 60 will have enough low end power to maintain steerage and forward progress even in rough seas, especially if correctly propped, but will make the boat much harder to sell when the time comes. FYI: either one of my (twin) Honda 40's with Permatrim could plane my 22' Angler to 17MPH at WOT.

Honestly I'd look for another boat, one with 90 HP or twin 40-50 HP.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin 60 could make it a real screamer, but I did not look up the weights. If I was going to do it, I would want to match what is already there, for sure. The two 60's would be plenty of power, and there would be no problem selling it powered that way, a single 60, not so much.

I run my boat generally heavy, loaded for cruising, and have only had it planing on one 40 a couple of times, but that was by planing on 2 and shutting one down and lifting it out of the water. I wouldn't try to run that way for long intentionally. Nor do I often run on a single OB when doing my slow cruising (5.5 knots). To maintain the same speed I have to run the single at a higher RPM, so I figure I will just work them both, less hard. (And a 5 knot cruise is only about 1400 - 1600 RPM.) IIRC.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Oregun01

City/Region: Culver
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Thank You! Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I was checking my email thinking I would see it if someone replied to my post, guess I was wrong, LOL....

After reading your posts, I think I'm going to pull the trigger and make him an offer for 28K. The boat is 2400 miles away, it has the 60 EFI Merc and a 9.9 Kicker. According to the seller the boat and both motors have less then 200 hours of use so I'm thinking it's kind of a no-brainier as long as he is telling the truth. If I decide it's under powered (my biggest fear), I can swap out the 60 out for a 100HP for around $7K,including trade-in. Then I will be 37K into it and if i'm still not happy, I just might be able to break-even selling it in the PNW. Please tell me if I'm way off base here.

So, here's my plan, don't laugh , I can get a 1-way ticket for $315 rent a U-Haul with a hitch for 1300 and drive it back to Oregon for under $2200 including gas, two nights in a hotel and as much fast food my stomach can stand.

This is were I need more advice, what do I look for when I get there? Are there problem spots to look for on an 2006? How can tell if he is telling the truth about the hours. I know how to look for the wear points on autos and motorcycles but not on a boat. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although 800 miles a day in a truck towing a 22' C Dory is possible--It is going to be very hard driving. I would realistically figure closer to 500 miles a day.

Be sure that the trailer tires are less than 5 years old by date of manufacture. If older--replace. Have an extra set of bearings. Check out the surge brakes.
Probably would take an extra set of lights for the trailer. In your tool kit have a digital VOM. Get a cheap IR thermometer gun,( Check the hubs and brakes every 2 hours when on the road.) Have a lug or torque wrench. Spare tire. A jack capable of lifting the boat/trailer. Have several 2 x 8 boards, and a 4 x 4 each about 2' long--for helping in jacking and stabilizing.

You may be able to sleep in the c Dory--many of us do on the road-but it may already be cold along the way. If going the Northern Routes--be aware there may a requirement for chains--or at least snow. If campgrounds are open, you use them.

I have a 2006, with the removable floors. There are very few places in the cockpit where fasteners are into the bottom of the hull. If there are--see if you can pull one or two to check for moisture. You will fill that hole (overdrill, undercut, and fill with thickened epoxy--then new pilot hole so you are drilling into epoxy.

If the boat has been well maintained, there should be little issues. As in any boat check for soft decks, major dings. The systems are all pretty simple, and not that expensive to repair if necessary.

Be sure that the engine runs, and does not overheat. If possible do a sea trial.

Have fun! I think your plan is solid.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob. 500 miles a day is more realistic unless you like driving really long days. Also 60-65mph is probably the most you want to do safely. I just towed my cd22 out to Lewiston where I’m sitting now waiting for some others before we head down the Rivers. Sleeping on the boat in both ends of Montana temps got down to 28 degrees. I have a good heater on the boat! Finally, you will have some watercraft inspection stations to go thru. Make sure the boat is clean of invasive species!
island andy

City/Region: rochester hills
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, endorse your offer to purchase and I am intrigued by your transport plan.
Be sure you check with Uhaul for compatibility of their hitch with "your" trailer's coupler. If the trailer light connector is not compatible, there are adapters available. If the trailer has electric brakes, I have no idea what the issues might be.
When I fetched my boat, it was only 1,000 mi each way. It took about 20 hours to tow it home on a combo of secondary and interstate type roads. And I am a drive-till-you-drop type.
Sounds like a fine adventure. Please let us know how it evolves!
andy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: