The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Twin outboards, 1 fuel tank, 1 fuel seperator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Twin outboards, 1 fuel tank, 1 fuel seperator Reply with quote

06 cdory 25 cruser just purchased has 2 90 hp evenrude hooked to one fuel seperator from one tank. Can, should I have a seperator for each motor or is this standard for this boat. And how to add an other fuel seperator if necessary. There is only one fuel pickup on tank.
Reason I ask is that I had an issue with the engines right after I bought it. Running at 5000 rpm one engine shut down to about 2500. Sounded starved for fuel. Then the other one did the same thing . I limped 40 miles back to harbor in valdez. I changed out seperator , filters and spark plugs ,which seems to have fixed it ,but am thinking that maybe not enough fuel is available for two motors through one fuel water seperator
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On is a 2005 C-Dory, but I believe the fuel system is the same for 2006. If not, I'll learn something, but for now here goes.

First, I've never heard of fuel starvation with 2 engines on a 25. But to assuage your mind, why not add a second filter? It's easy enough and there are two outlets on Journey On's tank as shown in the photo below. Buy another filter bowl, bolt it onto the inside of the rear lazerette and plumb it in.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Boris. If you have a filter plug up--then you can run the other engine, while you change out that filter.

The question is what caused your Racor to plug up? (Which is what it sounds like happened. Most often is it "Crud" in the bottom of the fuel tank, which is most often related to ethanol in the fuel. At the interphase of water and fuel, is where algae and certain type of bacteria grow. Waste products from this--and the algae themselves are what plug up the filters most of the time. It it is occurring regularly--then fuel needs to be "polished."

"Polishing" is using a pump to take all of the fuel, often at high volume. Many times the "polisher" will run this fuel thru a filter, then re-inject it into the tank, with a substance which will help to dissolve any of the material residual in the bottom of the tank. Sometimes a larger access to the tank needs to be cut. Usually the fuel sender opening can be used. Baffles can restrict what part of the tank is cleaned, and on some occasions, secondary holes (with cover plates, installed when through) are cut.

The one filter is fine (large enough)--except if it plugs up. The second filter will keep you from having a bad day, and both engines quitting at a critical time.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what size is that pickup tube. The plug on mine is 5/8 diameter edge to edge. Can't find one on internet that big with a 3/8 nipple all I find is 1/4 in
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely that is 3/8" pipe thread. Two ways to address the issue.

1.) Get a nipple, and a "T", then run a second fuel line to a second racer filter. Be use and used proper teflon tape or gasoline comparable pipe sealant on the joints. Be sure that all joints are tight and do not leak.

2.) Take the fuel line where it goes to the current Racer, and put the T there, it will probably be easier.

3.) You may consider replacing the fuel lines--They are 10 years old, and there could be some ethanol effect on them. 2007 lines should have been alcohol resistant. Take a look at the inside of the lines: if they appear to delaminate, soft, or debris easily flakes off--then replace with SAE J1527/ A-15 / ISO 7840 A1 fuel lines. (All of these standards are marine rated for ethanol).

The fact remains that there may be bad fuel/debris in the tank bottom. It is possible that it could be a one time occurrence--but maybe not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: