The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gelcoat Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smuttynose

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snap Out Of It
Photos: Snap Out Of It
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Gelcoat Repair Reply with quote

During the last docking of the season, a 3-point landing put a scratch through my green tirm into the white hull. Any ideas on repairing. This is my first season with a boat that I know I will own for decades and until this weekend was "showroom floor" new.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smuttynose-

Can't tell where you are from your profile at the sidebar, but if you're anywhere near the factory or plan on being near there at a C-Brat get together, like the Seattle Boat Show and C-Brat Convention, the boys at the factory can make it look just like it never happened.

There are local dealerships and other marine repair shops that can do good work too, but I'd check into their reputation for quality work in this area of expertise, as some are mostly mechanical repair oriented. Doesn't have to be a C-Dory dealer, but I'd insist they use the original jel coat material from the factory for the best color match. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repairing gelcoat is not difficult. See the following site: http://www.spectrumcolor.com/ Spectrum color is an excellent source for supplies and directions. Use wet sandpaper only. I don't use anything coarser that 600 grit , usually 800 grit and finish with 1000 or 1500. Polishing with medium grade rubbing compound.

Rollie/C-Batical
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollie--- thanks for the input, I've ordered a couple of patch kits today, my biggest problem has been finding the correct color and to be able to allow for some fading differential. In southern calif. there is a fellow who does pretty good mobile work, and seems to be reasonable, his business is called Gelcoat Unlimited, he usually has an ad in the The Log newspaper. Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: