starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they are using straps to tie down points or using slings under the hull? Might be ok for a small boat but not for a cabin boat. How big of a boat do they hoist from tie downs??

Around here its $40 at Edmond and $75 at Cap Santa for my boat.

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t speak for the OP, but I think I understand the appeal. After trailering boats and fighting the good fight with saltwater since age 16, I finally conceded defeat about 3 years ago, began sling launching and have never looked back.

I rinsed with freshwater religiously and thoroughly, both after launching and retrieving. Refused to launch anywhere that didn’t have a wash-down. Unplugged lights before dunking in water. Minimized how far the trailer is backed into the water (roller trailers are great!). Trailered almost exclusively with galvanized (not painted) trailers… Still, it seemed like every trip involved some fix that was corrosion related, usually lights, sometimes more.

Now, my preferred method of launching is via a phone call to the covered/heated drystack marina while driving there in my car at 30 mpg (hands-free speaker phone, of course!). These days, the only trips to the launch ramp are on the busy holiday weekends to enjoy the show. (BTW, 13-lane Everett ramp is fantastic entertainment, especially on minus tides!)

But for the 2 years prior to drystack, I was using public sling launches almost exclusively (Edmonds and Anacortes), and discovered many perks that were not expected. Never did I encounter a crowd or long wait like you sometimes get at ramps. When single handing, as soon as they lift your boat off the trailer, you go park the trailer…by the time you are back, your boat is in the water and ready to go! It's the reverse coming back in - you always have a dock hand or two to help, while you go get the truck. There are certainly more launch points with ramps, can’t argue with that. As to the possibility of a dropped boat, yes that is a risk. But so is an auto accident or trailer failure (as some C-Brats can attest to!).

So yeah, for the past 3 years I’ve not launched a trailer into salt, and the last 1+ year I’ve not even trailered. Life has been so much happier without! Anyone want to buy a 2016 tandem axle galvanized roller trailer set up for a 22? It has literally never been in salt water! (Fits a 23 Venture just fine too!).

Like most things in life there are pros and cons to both. Now the real question worth debating is, Single or Twins?

-Mike

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
So they are using straps to tie down points or using slings under the hull? Might be ok for a small boat but not for a cabin boat. How big of a boat do they hoist from tie downs??

Around here its $40 at Edmond and $75 at Cap Santa for my boat.

Straps to the tie down point, one big one through a ring and hooked into the two d-rings on the transom. Another hook on a single strap for the bow d- ring. I really scratched my head the first time but that’s how it’s done. Far as how big of boats they’re doing like this, probably up to mid 20s feet center consoles. My Parker was probably about as heavy of a boat I’ve seen launched this way. Made me really nervous for sure. I can’t say every place does it this way but the two marinas closest to me, Kilkenny marina and Fort McAllister marina. My sample is small, but likely where somebody from Midway GA would sling in

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT?!! This is all Greek to me! And I'm not Greek , I'm Indian. LMAO

We have no such hoisting operations for trailered boats in New England (or at least in Mass.) This is an interesting thread ! Subscribed. I can definitely see the appeal of it...

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: