colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike. I have two that I made. They came out nice, but I just decided I didn't need one. I always ask folks I'm around if the noise bothered them at night and everyone says no. A few don't even hear it; must be sound sleepers. lol. Don't know how hot solder has to get to melt, that would be my only concern, is if the muffler got that hot. They are pretty simple to make. I got the larger pipe, scrap, from my neighbor, a plumber. Otherwise that might be the biggest expense of it. Colby
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried the available SS muffler only to learn that it isn't for interior use. My home made muffler is quite long and does an excellent job. It is stuffed with fiberglass and then wrapped with fiberglass tape used for automobile headers.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2357&id=102_0061&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I can't even hear if it's running when I'm on the dock with the exhaust facing me. The little ticker pump is actually the noisiest part of the system now and I can only hear that if at anchor with nothing else on. I now equate tick, tick, tick with warm, warm, dry, so even that little noise doesn't bother me.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it good , sort of, to hear that the production mufflers are not for inside use. I did not see that in the sites I was reading but they were mostly van conversation sites so all the installs where exterior.

Colby is sending me a home made one soon. What type of fiber glass are people using to stuff them? Where do you get it?

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still wondering (as I posted a few days ago) whether or not there might be a down side, even a slight down side, to fitting a muffler on the Webasto or Espar units?

Could it make the unit less efficient, deduce longevity, or whatever? I presume it creates some sort of back pressure. Any opinions?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would a call the manufacture to find out what is a acceptable flow reduction or back pressure. then figure our how to test that. At some point its to much.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is absolutely no back pressure on my home made muffler. It's the same size pipe as the rest of the exhaust, with many holes drilled in it. The holy part goes thru a larger pipe, which is capped and soldered around it's ends and the outside of the smaller pipe. I think I used the insulation that was stuffed inside the extra exhaust pipe insulation wrap. I can't remember who told me how to make it, but I believe they said it still made noise, but the tone was a little lower so not as loud.Colby
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is also a straight through 3/4 inch copper pipe with holes drilled in it. The fiberglass packing is just pink household insulation. In fact, mine came from peeling a little from my shop attic. It is stuffed between the inside tube and the outside tube before the modified copper cap (for 1.5 inch tube) is soldered on. Just make sure that your solders are good or you'll have the same issue as with the commercially available mufflers.

As to back pressure, the smooth walled copper pipe probably creates less back pressure than the corrugated SS flex tube that comes with the Espar.

Commercially available glass pack auto mufflers actually have a design that creates a tiny amount of back pressure in order to improve the silencing. The holes in the interior pipe are modified to face the incoming exhaust sort of like a cheese grater. Think of inserting an ice pick in each hole and pushing it back in the same direction of the exhaust. This creates a tiny "clam shell" shape on the inside of the tube that faces the oncoming exhaust. It "scoops" some of the exhaust pulses into the holes and reduces noise.

I tore apart some "cherry bomb" type of auto mufflers way back when and saw how they worked.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron on Meander wrote:

Doing it again, and without the DU95 to add additional heat. I'd go with the bigger Wallas 30 for heating a 25 in the PNW.

Cheers
Ron

Another plug for the Wallas furnace, don’t mean to hijack the thread.

I’ve had the Wallas 30 DT furnace now for 5 seasons, has performed admirably. On mid-range to high you can hear the fan, on low it’s whisper quiet; and anything above low will cook you out of a 25 unless it’s in the 30s. It’s mounted under the forward passenger seat with two vents, one blowing aft the other-directed starboard
Pictures of install in my album.

Wallas has two new furnaces: 30GB and 22GB https://www.scanmarineusa.com/online-store

The 22GB appears to be a good fit for a 25. $2680.00 with install kit. $$$ for sure.

You generally get what you pay for.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No noise issues with our little Wallas 1300 heater. We never loved the cooktop/heater in our 25 but it was better than nothing.

We do love the little 1300 on our current boat and cast friendly remarks in it's general direction with some regularity. Especially after adding a switch to the birth so we could start it without getting out of bed.

We really having a warm/dry boat on the cold, wet morning and when using the boat over the winter, we have even run it for an hour or so during the night to take the chill away. Being able to run it completely independent of shore power is also a favorite feature.

If you install the bigger 10L tank, don't bother carrying extra fuel for any trip under a month. One tank lasts us a year averaging over 25 nights per year we have had the boat.

The smaller of those new units look like a better fit for a 25. They look like bigger siblings to our little 1300 but with thermostats.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: