View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpod2003

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: V berth access hatches added to 25 Reply with quote

I noticed that the new 25 C Dorys have access hatches under each cushion in the V berth, so I thought that would be a good thing to add. I see that other people have done this successfully in 22s, and 25s. I contacted the C Dory company, and purchased the two aluminum frames from them for about $80. I traced around the frames, and then cut out the pieces with a jig saw, using a metal cutting blade. I then sanded each cut out piece with a palm sander until it fit into the frame. I drilled a large hole in the center of each for easy removal. It gives great access to the large area under the sides of the V berth, and was relatively easy to do. I have posted pictures of the process under Kingfisher, New V berth Access Hatches.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking job. What sizes are the hatches, and did you use the piece you cut out for the cover?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

dpod2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use the cut out pieces for each hatch. The material was thick enough to work well for this. The larger frame is 17" x 17", and the other is 17" x 9".
The smaller one is on the starboard side which is slightly narrower than the port side. Now you can just lift up the cushion, and slide the cover over to get into the storage area. It really works well.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard was it to keep a straight line, and match the curves, when sanding the cut-out pieces so that the cut-outs, now hatch covers, fit nicely?
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the way you did it, but I like the way Sunbeam did her vee-berth hatches. She used wooden cleats that she epoxied to the undersides so the cover piece would drop in flush - no bump from a frame under the cushion.

You can go to Sunbeam's photos in the album named "V-Berth" to see her step-by-step photos.

This is a when I get a "round tuit" project for Daydream, it sure would have been nice to have the extra space on the Loop, and it also I hope affords to significantly increase the fresh water capacity.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

dpod2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that since the frames had an overlap edge, I didn't need to worry as much about the straight lines, although it was okay. When I traced around the inside of the frames on the berth before cutting, I just cut a little bit outside the line. Then when I sanded the hatch piece, there was a line already there to sand to. I am not sure if that makes sense without seeing the frame.

I agree that the frame does stick up just a bit, but not much. We also have a thin foam pad under our cushions to prevent condensation, so the frame isn't rubbing against the cushion. As for carrying more water, I was thinking that we could carry a water bag on the port side to help balance out our list to starboard, as well as giving us more water on trips. We have a stern water tank, and I don't really like to carry it full because of the added weight to the stern.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 22 came with the hatches for the v-berth compartments. They are the "flush" hatches, but they still protruded up about 1/4". For some reason, the factory only used the ~12x12" hatches for the side compartments (the forward compartment uses a much bigger hatch). I replaced the hatches for the sides with ones about 20x12". The new hatches are hinged, but I just never screwed them in. It is much easier to use them as slide hatch covers. The new ones don't stick up any higher than the originals and cannot be felt when lying on the berth.

I have been thinking about putting a water tank in the forward compartment. However, to mount decent size tank there requires an odd shape to get a decent quantity. There are tanks that will fit, but the base for it will require a lot of fiddling to get it to fit and support the tank correctly. I took the original tank out of the cabin compartment when I first got the boat and based on how we use the boat we really haven't missed the water capacity, so there has not been a pressing need to get the front tank installed. We use the sink more to keep things from rolling around than for washing stuff.
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
We use the sink more to keep things from rolling around than for washing stuff.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Same here! Makes nice little basket for holding bread, chips, and other food!

Regarding a bow tank - there are water tanks shaped to fit in the bow of a boat under the V-berth, with a pointed nose and a V-shaped bottom, although these might be custom ordered by the boat manufacturers. DuraCast was one maker that came up in Google. Certainly a lot of Arima boats have them, and many owners, myself included, would take them out and just use the space for storage, so you might be able to find one of these second hand, if the Arima owners forum is still around... The freshwater tank in the bow of my 16 footer was 14 gal if I recall correctly.

-Mike

beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! You cut holes in my baby!!! Very Happy

Nice job! You now have easy access to those dark recesses where many things went, never to be seen again.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: