The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

This is a beautiful thing.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: This is a beautiful thing. Reply with quote

The 200 Yamaha pairs very nicely with the 25 C-Dory Cruiser. 21 mph (I usually have it on kts but switched over for the pic) at 7 gph is 3 mph. That is a very beautiful thing! This pic was heading west.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)

Last edited by ken35216 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a little cruise from Destin, FL to Pensacola and back this past weekend. The below numbers (which are accurate including fuel) are from the trip back.

I was heading east with winds 8-15 from the SE and waves 6-8 inches from the SE. 1/4 water on board and 81 gallons of fuel at the start of the trip back. Me and a 70 pound dog and I don't travel light.

That's an average of 2.910 mpg for the trip (I used a calculator lol).

The max speed was from a different trip. It saves the max.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show that a larger/new engine can drink less than an older smaller one. We had to luck out to crack 2mpg with our old twin 90s.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
Just goes to show that a larger/new engine can drink less than an older smaller one. We had to luck out to crack 2mpg with our old twin 90s.

Greg

My 2007 had a 150 Suzuki and I was lucky to get 2mpg. I'm very pleased with 2.9 mpg and cruising at 21. Almost shocked.

Going 21 mph I was at 3900 rpm
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Yamaha MFD interface Reply with quote

Ken,
very nice.

You came to Pensacola and didn't bring the 2 Fat Tire beers for me?

What's the source for the fuel flow input? Garmin GFS-10 sensor in the fuel line? Did you illegally snake the rigging tube with a Lowrence adapter to the ECM plug under the cowling like I described in 'Extracting engine information...' post? (If so, you're missing an additonal 3 pages of engine parameters including MPG without using a calculator). Yamaha Gateway to your Garmin N2K backbone? Yamaha Command Link gauge? Something else?
If you can find the right page the Garmin 741 allows you to select MPG, fuel flow and trip and total used even if it's just from a GFS10 fuel line sensor. It's under 'information' not 'engine gauges' as I recall.

That charted 'Do Not Anchor' area in the ICW near Spectre Island is due to a leaky Russian emitter on the Eglin AFB portion of Okaloosa Island for the fighter jets to practice with. When it's turned on, you don't want to be there long.

Cheers!
John

ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha MFD interface Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Ken,
very nice.

It was a quick one night trip. Hopefully we'll hook up this spring/summer. Maybe I can come see you and Dr Bob for dinner. I'll buy!!

gulfcoast john wrote:

What's the source for the fuel flow input? Garmin GFS-10 sensor in the fuel line? Did you illegally snake the rigging tube with a Lowrence adapter to the ECM plug under the cowling like I described in 'Extracting engine information...' post? (If so, you're missing an additonal 3 pages of engine parameters including MPG without using a calculator). Yamaha Gateway to your Garmin N2K backbone? Yamaha Command Link gauge? Something else?
If you can find the right page the Garmin 741 allows you to select MPG, fuel flow and trip and total used even if it's just from a GFS10 fuel line sensor. It's under 'information' not 'engine gauges' as I recall.

That charted 'Do Not Anchor' area in the ICW near Spectre Island is due to a leaky Russian emitter on the Eglin AFB portion of Okaloosa Island for the fighter jets to practice with. When it's turned on, you don't want to be there long.

Cheers!
John

What? English please!!
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha MFD interface Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Ken,
very nice.

What's the source for the fuel flow input? Garmin GFS-10 sensor in the fuel line? <stuff clipped>
John

My guess would be that he is using the Yamaha NMEA 2000 output directly to the chart plotter. His engine has a NMEA 2000 output connector and, with the correct cable, that can be hooked directly to the plotter. The fuel flow sensor is internal to the engine. I'm unfamiliar with how that is calibrated to assure an accurate readout though.

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...
Your 741 display can only display information that is inputted from some sort of sensor somewhere...the only exeception being your GPS position, which comes from an internal GPS antenna in the 741.

The depth must be coming from a transducer, probably on or near the transom, that is plugged directly into the 741, or, if you have one, plugged into a network 'backbone' of connectors (N2K network) and the 741 is plugged into that. A starter Garmin network backbone runs about $70 and many owners have installed them. If you had installed one, you would remember doing so. If I had followed the directions precisely, it would have taken half the time.

The fuel flow info must be coming from a transducer/sensor, probably on or near the fuel line to the engine (like the Garmin GFS10 sensors, $150 each), or from the engine itself via a plug under the cowling (for 2006 and later engines). There are multiple iterations available in YamaWorld, but ultimately there are only those 2 sources of data for engine fuel flow. Fuel line sensors are not accurate at idle because dollops of fuel are irregularly pulled into a tank on the engine and run the engine until that VST empties.

I'm curious whether any other Yamaha owners have tried the hack I described in my 'Extracting Engine Data..." post and wondered if you had done it, but obviously not, because it is a bleeding-knuckles 3 beers per engine adventure that you would remember. However, for the price of 2 $90 Lowrance cables (and some large Band-Aids), you can extract more info directly to the multfunction plotter display you already own without paying $1,100 each for the 'proper' Yamaha gauges. Just say'ing.

I'll figure it out when we see your boat and gauges.

Roger,
I would tend to agree, except that a bunch of other engine parameters (3 pages) would be available and showing unless Ken de-selected them all, including eng volts, temp, rpm, trim, oil press, etc etc.

The story of how how the US came into possession of that then-state of the art Russian radar is hilarious, but for another time.

Stay safe!
John
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Going 21 mph I was at 3900 rpm

That alone says a lot. Thumbs Up

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a "rule of thumb" that gas engines put out about 14 hp per gallon of fuel an hour. If burning 7 gallons an hour, that means that you would be using about 120 hp. Certainly the Yamaha is loafing at 3900 RPM. Great numbers!

Next time add another 25 miles to the trip, and come up to the top of Perdido Bay! Free dock and amenities at Camp Thataway.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
There is a "rule of thumb" that gas engines put out about 14 hp per gallon of fuel an hour. If burning 7 gallons an hour, that means that you would be using about 120 hp. Certainly the Yamaha is loafing at 3900 RPM. Great numbers!

Next time add another 25 miles to the trip, and come up to the top of Perdido Bay! Free dock and amenities at Camp Thataway.

Loafing at 3900? Even for an hour or so at a time? What would be a max rpm to cruise at and be safe/easy on the motor?

At 21mph that additional 25 miles would only take an hour and eleven point four minutes. Doable! And, I'd love to meet you in person!!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

Loafing at 3900? Even for an hour or so at a time? What would be a max rpm to cruise at and be safe/easy on the motor?

The "rule of thumb"... is 70 to 80% of WOT--WOT on most modern outboards in 6,000 RPM (assuming your boat can hit 6,000), so between 4300 to 4800 would be were I would run max cruising RPM. I like to run where the engine seems smooth--and each engine is a bit different on that one. The more fuel you burn (and the boat will become less efficient as the RPM increases..) the more wear on the engine...Getting back to engines with high hours, those which are run every day--and lots of time at moderate RPM seem to last the longest.

I don't have any problem running my Honda 90 at 4200 to 4500 RPM at cruise. (necessary if I drop the prop pitch down at places like Lake Powell)...
ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dr Bob and I can't wait to see what the numbers are that RPM.

I'm a member of a facebook page called "Trailer Trawlers" and I asked for other people's numbers:

"Ours is a 2016 RANGER TUG 25 SC with Volvo Penta D3 150 hp, top speed is about 18 mph, at 9 mph it is getting about 2 mpg"

"Ours is a 2018 Ranger Tug R29S w/Volvo Penta D4 300 HP. Although top speed is 22 MPH we typically travel at 8 tp 9 MPH and get roughly 2.5 mpg."

"2005 Rosborough w/ Honda 225. Fast cruise 20 mph at 4200. 2.5ish MPG"

I'm liking the C-Dory more and more (for my needs).
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been saying it for years. I would rather run a big motor at half throttle then a small engine at full throttle.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I have been saying it for years. I would rather run a big motor at half throttle then a small engine at full throttle.

It is a work thing. Much easier to lift a 50 pound bale 2 times than a 100 pound bale once, or carry 2 buckets with 5 gallons each than one with 10 gallons.

Much better on the machinery and the owner.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: