The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/06 - 03/08 St. John's River Florida CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby,
You don't want to haul the boat into downtown/French qrtr parking lot, trailers forbidden there and at downtown hotels/parking garages.
Your best bet is an I-10 or airport area hotel with a large parking lot where you can drop the rig and go into down by truck, park at the French Qrtr lot (the cheapest and most conv). Use Goole Maps to find hotels then switch to Satellite view, then call hotel to confirm you can park the rig there. Request a room with view of the boat and/or in view of the reception desk staff if possible.

The security of a rig in my view is determined by how hard the owner makes it to steal it. A coupler lock is defeated by someone willing to pull it away despite not being locked onto the ball.

I add this lock, which makes that impossible and is really hard and time-consuming to hacksaw:

https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-UMAX100-Universal-Hardened-couplers/dp/B000OC3Q2I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1516138766&sr=8-4&keywords=trailer+lock+high+security

On return to the hotel I park the truck close to the coupler when possible. Put a SS cable through a trailer wheel hole and around the frame with a high-security lock for 3-way security. With that, your rig won't be an appealing target near any hotel you'd be willing to stay at.

Agree with Bob that it's absolutely weird how a city like New Orleans on the Mississipi has no downtown marina there. I can't think of another city of half the size on a river or water with no downtown marina. Don't even think about tying up at the ferry landings or against the wall.

You two sure know how to complicate the logistics of a simple tow to Hontoon...except for us.

Have a safe and ice-free drive!
John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stop at the Pinecrest camp ground in Slidell just off I 10 to the East if you are boat camping. There is also a nice little Marina (Lakeshore Marina) if you want to put the boat in the water. (Ramp is on the other side of I 10).

There are a number of fairly in-expensive parking lots run by Central Parking. If you go early you can get a place at the River end of St. Peters, right by the Market, or we have all most always gotten one at the end Conti. Access by going down the West side of French Quarter on Canal.

There are also several inexpensive Motels in Slidell, and things should be as safe as anywhere there. Agree with John, as for parking near where there is TV surveillance, or outside your room.

We have driven the 42 foot RV, towing the Yukon XL to the RV park in the French quarter with absolutely no issues a number of times. But the French Quarter RV park is not the type of place for boat camping in a C Dory. Certainly would not get in the French quarter itself towing a boat. Getting the Yukon into one of the parking garages in the central French quarter can be a chore.

I don't agree with John about the security of a coupler lock--I have heard of several instances where the trailer was just chained to a hitch and away they went. But I would worry more about people taking things off the boat more than the boat itself being stolen.

A walk around the French quarter might be a bit disappointing in itself. New Orleans is a city which must be savored, and a quick bite might leave a bitter taste....It is one of the cities where we allow ourselves to splurge and really enjoy that. We have found some superb restraunts which were out of the way, and not expensive. It is the type of place where a bad restaurant does not survive. It can be very expensive, or it can be very in-expensive depending on your budget--and still get superb food.

Certainly one of our favorite cities.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John and Bob. I'll more than likely have my full cover along also, so I can always put that over the boat if necessary. Guess I'm not so worried about anybody driving off with the entire boat, but rather just damage to it. I've been to New Orleans myself a few times in the past. Mostly airline layovers maybe 20-25 years ago. Maybe this would be a better separate vacation plan for my wife and I later. (Then we'd have more time to spend, and wouldn't have the boat to worry about.) I think I planned a full 9 days around Hontoon after the gathering. (Upset at myself for not having planned more time last year...) But if we don't end up cruising that long, we can always stop and spend a few days at Kentucky Lake Dam state park on the way home. Depending upon the weather.... Colby
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
New Orleans (MSY) is not big enough for a a one-way fare to Madison to be any bargain on short notice.
Concur with Bob that pilfering off the boat is a potential problem anywhere, but I have not found any solution...any addict with a pry-bar can pry open the Diamond Seaglaze glass door if locked..or window doing $1000 of damage to steal $500 of my stuff. Likewise, their box knife will cut your camper canvas.

I don't readily concur that this particular 6-Lb lock which occupies the entire coupler would enable a thief to simply 'chain it to the hitch'. She wouldn't get 500 feet before it fell off. Enlighten me, please. I'm always delighted to be enlightened, esp by Bob.

New Orleans is a great town, but the logistics of towing the boat and airfare would make me consider instead exploring more Florida boating if weather permits.
Consider Moorings Resort at Longboat key (5 star luxury, marina pool and hot tub, St Armands Circle dining, free shuttle to private beach, cheaper than airfare).

https://www.longboatkeymarina.com/

Click on the 'Amenities' tab.

She'll love it!
See Ya,
John
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I'm a retired pilot. I don't worry about fare prices, unless I need a revenue seat. lol! However, I hate flying anywhere and putting up with all the BS, so I much prefer driving. Surprised Embarassed My wife prefers to fly, so a few times it works out well when I tow the boat out and back and let her fly to and from that destination. Plus, she's still working so doesn't have as much free time as I do. Smile All though on this gathering, she has the time available so rides with me. That and a favorite Uncle that lives along the way. Smile I've been very fortunate so far with my boat's security. And with the parked rig when I'm on the water, for that matter. But there are some areas I have concerns about, usually around large cities. When I do leave the boat &/or trailer, I simply lock the coupler in the down position. But again, I'm in locations that are fairly safe. If somebody wants something badly enuf, I'm sure they'll figure out how to get it. That's where insurance comes in. (Although I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to depend on that, and we all know it usually doesn't cover every last item or mod one has or has done!)
The New Orleans idea was just an after thought. But Bob listed some things that I think would be neat to see, and I'm sure there is a lot more there too. Probably best just to make it a separate vacation sometime when I'm not dragging the boat. I will have to consider that Longboat Key area if we have extra time and the weather isn't very appealing at Kentucky Lake! Colby
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our favorite marina/campground in New Orleans is Pontchartrain Landing. It's gated and has daily shuttles to the French Quarter, which is only 12 minutes away. It's not cheap but probably less than a luxury resort on the keys. You could also do some touring with your boat perhaps? You might give them a call and see if they allow trailer boat camping or if one of their floating cabins is available?

As far as vehicle access, I led a rally of 25 Newell Coaches there, and with cars-in-tow our RV's averaged close to 70 feet in length.

Edit- Oh.... and don't forgot the WW II museum in 'Nu Olens ' Wonderful! Our tour guide was a 92 year old marine that still ran every day and represented the Marines during the Japanese surrender signing on the battleship Missouri

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby
No real reason to go anywhere else than the St. John’s. Have you been on the stretch between Green Cove Springs and Jacksonville? If I remember right you have not been on the Ocklawaha or up to Palatka or over to Crescent Lake.
Lots more to explore! I’ve been running the river for years and not covered all the side trips. If you get that all done there is the Lake Harris Chain and you can also check out the monkeys 🐒 on the Silver River.

Of course you are welcome to follow us South after the gathering. I tend to take my time and usually don’t go to far on any one day. It will be interesting to see how many will be joining us. Next week I’m planing on going out for a couple days going South of Sanford to check out possible places to anchor with a larger group. I have not been down that way for a couple of years.

I don’t have anything else planned at this time in March so I may also trailer up to Green Cove Springs and go north from there after a side trip on Black Creek. Will see.

Chuck and Penny
Glad that Penny is doing well and can join us this year. I’m sure you will enjoy the area!

More to follow soon......Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, of course we plan to follow you after the gathering. Assuming you let us, LOL! The only places I have been are those in following you the past two years, but both times having to cut my/our hanging out short. This year I planned for 9 days after the gathering. If you or others hang around that long, we'll hang around too. Very Happy However, if not, Kentucky Lake Dam State Park is nice, and right on our way. But if the weather there isn't nice, then I have a friend in St. Mary's, GA, that we can detour just a tad bit east, and do some boating there a few days on the way home. Already decided to just drop the New Orleans idea... In any case, we've got plenty of time on our schedule this year! Colby
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are gathering our talent for the Hontoon Island State Park CBGT. So far we have Dr. Bob doing questions and answers on our favorite boats. Gulfcost John sharing the pros and cons of owning a Tom Cat 255. Ken Torres the park manager will share with us the story of the hurricane damage from this summer. I’m looking for someone to talk about solar power for C-Dory’s. Maybe a discussion group on solar? Anything else?

Don’t forget the Clow’s silent auction on Thursday. Get together all the extra boat stuff that’s been laying around. All proceeds go to the help the park. We have a new spare prop for a 90 hp Suzuki, almost new Suzuki tachometer, boat heater, and a pile of other stuff. Bring it!

Flew over to Crystal River for lunch today. Then Joyce and I visited Three Rivers Marine. They are the new C-Dory dealer in Florida. They had one of just about every model in stock from a 16 to a TomCat 255. I was told they are going to bring a couple or more to the gathering.

It’s all shaping up......Tom
JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: how late is too late? Reply with quote

We have to do some work on the boat - mainly de-winterizing which is very weather dependent.

Is there a drop dead date to sign up?

Thanks,

John
The Mighty Wench
Rosborogh 246

Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John
Sure hope you can make it to Hontoon Island. Every year we have folks that signup and then cancel right beforehand. No problem. We are getting older everyday and unfortunately injuries and illness seem to happen more often. Also, there are weather conditions that can come up, mechanical breakdowns and family matters always come first.

Joyce and I would rather have people signup at least a couple weeks before the Gathering. That allows us time to purchase supplies with a number in mind. A few too many printed forms and supplies is better that not enough.
The meals are Tuesday and Wednesday with leftovers on Thursday. We purchase food on the day we cook it. Folks signup on Tueday and that gives the ladies a idea of what amounts are needed. Of course everyone brings a dish to pass for our evening meal.

We’ve never turned away a C-Brat who did not signup. No hard feelings if someone must cancel at anytime for any reason.

It’s great being a “Brat”

Tom
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went “boating with the cows” today. And yes..... that’s cows not Clow’s! The area south of Sanford on the St. John’s has some large cattle ranches. Big swamps and lots of birds. Where we are anchored out tonight up Deep Creek there were at least eight species of birds entertaining us. We have not been up river this far in a while and wanted to look it over before the Gathering. Not too much damage and lots to see. We tried to get through the south end of Lake Harney to get to the entrance of the Econ River with no luck. I live for “skinny water” but when it gets to one foot, I turn around. Seems to be more aquatic plants in that area than in the past. If anyone wants to try it I’ll follow.

Anyway....This is a section of the St. John’s that is not to be missed.

Tom
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chomping at the bit for the end of February to get here. We've had some relatively warm days here already, that would have been warm enough to get the boat out and prep it for the trip south. Sure hope we get some weather like that the last week of February. (But not too warm. I still need some hard ground to pull it out from the back yard!) Colby
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: AFTER THE GATHERING Reply with quote

AFTER THE GATHERING
After the gathering we’re thinking of spending a few weeks on the St John River. I’ve noted that several other boats are remaining until the 17th or later. In past boating journeys we’ve found that after two weeks we begin to run out of groceries, need laundry & etc., so many of our trips fall into 2 to 3-week blocks including some time for moving. So I'm thinking in terms of 2-3 week blocks of time. So, the gathering should carry us at least until the week of March 18 & probably later.

Looking at suggestions for other places the west coast of Florida either north or south of Tampa has caught our attention. If we move over there for another two week block that takes us into April. From there we might move up to Florida’s Pan-Handle in the Carrabelle, Apalachicola, St Joe – Panama City area for another two or three weeks.

That keeps us in Florida at least until mid-April. That leaves us another three-week block of time for boating somewhere before we need to start seriously working our way west.
We’ve come up with some study ideas:
1) Corpus Christi, Texas / area: Is it too soon after Hurricane Harvey?
2) Guntersville Lake on the Tennessee River. Perhaps a run up to Chattanooga or even Knoxville? Weather?
3) Ohio River from near Louisville down to Paducah, KY; rent a car & return for truck trailer. Will the river be too high and is that a place to avoid at that time of year?
4) Albemarle Loop. Lots of options here. What is April-May weather like?? This actually adds quite a few miles to our return trip, but what’s a few hundred miles added to 3,000?

We’d appreciate comments, thoughts and ideas. If you have suggestions can you list books, charts & background we should obtain before we get there.

Chuck

DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Albemarle loop fairly well having done it when we lived in Oriental, NC. I presume you mean Oriental, Bellhaven/Pungo Canal anchorage, Edenton, Manteo, Ocracoke, Oriental with a few other stops along the way.

It is all anchoring, free docks- Oriental, Edenton and Manteo and a low cost NPS dock- Ocracoke along the way. Edenton is a surprisingly charming town, Manteo has a cute little downtown area, and Ocracoke is party central but not until late May.

Early April can be windy but I don't think the temps will bother you. The Oriental boat show is in mid April and from that point on the weather is a little cool at night but nice during the day.

But it will add almost a thousand miles to your trip.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: