The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/06 - 03/08 St. John's River Florida CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today Penny was given the OK to attend the St Johns River Gathering after passing her one-month check-up following by-pass surgery. Now it’s just a few minor logistical challenges for us to resolve. Our route from Northern Idaho will not take the shortest route of 2,757 miles & 41 hours over Lolo Pass to Missoula and then the I-90 ice skating route across the plains. Instead, we go south on US 95 & I-82 to Salt Lake. If the weather is good we cross southern Utah to Albuquerque, then Texas and east for 2,907 miles or 45 driving hours. If the weather forces us to go south from Salt Lake to ‘Vegas, thru Phoenix & Tucson to the I-10 route it then becomes 3,462 miles and 52 driving hours. As Bob pointed out, that’s a few days, especially as Google thinks we drive at the speed limit and I don’t like to tow much over 60 mph so I’m adding 25% or a probable 60 hours shortest route & 70 hours of driving for the long route. We’ll be lucky to manage 8 hrs / day as the Doctors instructions are for Penny to get out every hour and walk a bit.

Harvey, stop fussing and just meet us at the Walmart in Ontario, Oregon and we’ll caravan down. If any other westerners want to join us and caravan along it should be fun.

Lew, take the Banana Belt route down I-15 and meet Harvey and I in Salt Lake. It will get your year started early and right. From Florida you can follow the frost north rather than sitting around in the frost waiting for it to leave.

We need to be on the road by Feb 24 to allow for weather delays. We’re going to have to motel it rather than our past practices of “Boater-homing” as I’m a bit nervous of Penny climbing in and out of the boat with that wonderful new zipper chest decoration (no, she is not going to wear a bikini so you can see it).
Our plans are to enjoy the gathering and remain in Florida until it gets hot or the bugs become too vicious, (mid–April or May?) then start migrating north-west, so our plans are very flexible. After some extra time on the St. John I thought about 1) the Keys -after the winter hoards have left? 2) the coastal islands west of Ft Myers, or 3) heading up the intercoastal ditch until we reached our limit. Other thoughts, suggestions and or buddy boats would be appreciated.

Water-Bill, we’ll still talk to you even if you’ve gone over to a real stink pot diesel.

On the way home we’ll cut off some miles as we need to stop in Hamilton, Missouri to meet Penny’s quilting fix. By that time the I-90 ice-rink will have melted – I hope.

Chuck

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, Thank you for the invite, and I will consider it. Glad to hear Penny is cleared for take off. By that time in February, going south out of SLC is still iffy for sure, but if it has been dry, and there is a pretty good chance of that, you really only have the climb up to Soldier Summit and then Price Canyon that would be challenging. From there, the road on down to ABQ is cake.

Again, I would really like to be able to join this trip but I will have to see how the prep for a long MC ride is affected.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jbdba01

State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang...gotta work. Anyone staying after the official event Fr-Sun?
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

Glad to hear Penny is recovering from her surgery and is doing well enough to do some traveling and cruising again. It would be great to see you two again. I didn't switch to a diesel. What helped with my decision to switch to the Ranger brand was being able to stick with an outboard motor. The R-23 came out with a 200 hp Yamaha option. I spent over 3 weeks poking around the San Juan Islands and 3 weeks at Yellowstone Lake this past summer and really like how the boat fits my cruising style. I have been using it regularly since then on Lake Keowee where I live now.

jbdba01

My plans right now are to trailer down To the St. Johns River on Saturday March 3rd and stay on the river until at least Saturday March 17th. After this cruise I am hoping to head back home restock the boat and around April 1st take a slow trip down the Tennessee River starting near Knoxville and up the Cumberland River to Gainesboro, TN for about a month. Would enjoy the company if anyone has interest in this cruise.

Lew,

Think about Chuck's suggestion. I would sure enjoy cruising with you again. You would definitely enjoy the warmer weather after wintering in Montana.

Bill

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck and Penny, I look forward to seeing you guys again, and introducing my wife and vice versa. Lew, Harvey, I understand, but it is a great gathering if you can make it. Guess I can't whine about the ice and stuff just coming my short 1500 miles. Oh wait, Yes I can, you guys will wimp out coming down the southern route. I'd take the south route too, but no matter how I cut it, I have to get out of Wisconsin and several ice storm prone states first! Shocked Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So good to hear that Penny is doing well, and both of you will be coming to Hontoon...Missed you guys for a couple of years (and your wide ranging excursions...! I have the greatest respect for you and Colby from the frozen North coming all of the way to the various C Brat gatherings in the land of the Sun!

jbdba01 We like to hang out with Joyce and Tom both before and after the gathering, although we did the Econlockhatchee River (Econ for short) 2 years ago with "Molly Brown". There is the possibility of doing the Econ again this year if the water is high enough, and I strongly recommend it as a different experience from the main St. John's. Several great anchorages, as well as dinner in Sanford on this trip, After the gathering.

There are so many great places on the St. John's and each is fun. The hurricane may have made some changes--so we will have to see what is available.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: St.Johns Reply with quote

If you're heading home by way of Missouri and Penny needs an additional quilting fix, plan to stop at the Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY. I'm not a quilter, but visited with quilting friends and was truly amazed.

Look forward to meeting you at Hontoon.

Pat
Meri Aura
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Cross fertilization Reply with quote

Seeing as each year:
Huntoon Island is the first of the season on the lower Right Coast, and
Friay Harbor C-Brat gathering is the first on the upper Left Coast and
Several C-Brats will attend both

Do we need some kind of traveling trophy or exchange?

Sleepy-C and Two Bears, at least, are going east. Midnight Flyer and Sleepy-C have committed to both. What can the North-westers bring south & what can the Lower Left Coast folks share with the Upper Right?
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do we need some kind of traveling trophy or exchange?

I'd just be happy with decent weather. Like no snow and ice or tornado's! Yeah, while I was worried about snow and ice last year, that didn't materialize. However, we did apparently outrun a tornado, that jumped the road behind us and took out a small town! However, on the way back home, we did drive thru some flurries in southern Illinois! It's a dicey time of year for travel! lol.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that your all up North have sub Zero weather right now--and in Pensacola, it was down to 24 last night...
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said that tornado was on the drive down!

Are you looking for sympathy Bob with that 24 degrees? Mr. Green
Actually, I know, that is COLD for you guys. Just been a weirder season this year with the cold weather. Really hoping for decent travel weather, and relatively warm gathering weather! Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sleepy-C and Two Bears, at least, are going east. Midnight Flyer and Sleepy-C have committed to both."

Not sure I have committed, I have heard it is possible, (to be committed), and I might be, (could be medical or psych), I have heard rumors of both, and though possibilities exist, I might have to resort to other options.

Chuck, thanks for the positive encouragement. I have been directionally challenged at times, I do lean to the non-mossy side of the trees.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably be committed, as in confinement at a mental institution... lol. So many choices, and I keep just adding more. So here's another thought for time after Hontoon. We (my wife and I) are still sticking around after the gathering to cruise with Tom if he lets us. Mr. Green However, we may end up with a few extra days after that, and Rosanne has mentioned a few times she'd like to see New Orleans sometime. I'm thinking it wouldn't be that hard to detour that much farther west after the gathering and cruising, then let her fly home from there in time for her job, while I tow the boat home from there. It's been some time since I've been to New Orleans, and not really sure if it would be worthwhile launching the boat to take a lap around any water facilities there and stay on it, or to just find somewhere with enough room to park it and grab a hotel. We are probably only talking about 2 or 3 nights. Any suggestions?
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone by water on the Mississippi and ICW thru New Orleans several times--and don't really see much in it from the water--there are others who might disagree...No real place to tie upon the Mississippi. I have tied up at marinas in Lake Pontchartrain and in the Seabrook Marina on the canal between Pontchartrain and the ICW. Most of this area is industrial. Certainly some interesting boats in the marinas. You can get a bus from the municipal marina to the French quarter directly.

Another issue is launching and security--I have only gone there in larger boats and not required a ramp, where I would leave the boat. I probably would stay in a hotel on the outskirts and drive in, park and then explore the area using public transportation. We stay at the campground in the French Quarter when in the RV--it is very convenient and relatively in-expensive for that part of New Orleans.

There are things not to be missed in New Orleans--one of these is the WWII Museum, Jackson's Square, St. Louis Cathedral, Preservation Hall (Get tickets early for seats), Mardi Gras World, We took one of the plantations ("Laura" probably the one to see if only one)--drive to the plantation: Walk thru the cemeteries, Breakfast at Brennans, and Pat O Brien's for drinks, Café du Monde: chicory coffee & beignets. Although Commander's Palace is ranked #1, I had one of the best meals of my life at GW Fins, but that was about a year ago. Gumbo at the Gumbo Shop or Acme Oyster House.

I'm ready to go again!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. Not sure we'll get to see all that stuff. I'm primarily looking at mostly walking thru the French Quarter and cemeterys. Really depends on what my wife wants to see. And that's if the timing works out. My next question is, where would be the safest place to park the "rig". If safe to leave the boat at one of those hotels on the outskirts, and then drive in, I seem to remember plenty of public parking on the outer edge of the French Quarter, but not sure the security for the boat there. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: