The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/06 - 03/08 St. John's River Florida CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boating along the ICW in the N. Gulf coast all of the way however far you want to go is good that time of the year--temperatures similar to what they will be at St. John's. From what I hear, all of the things are pretty well back up and going as far as Corpus Christi Marinas. Waterway Guide has updates on all of the marinas affected--some are not up to date.

I look at two loops one can do in the Albemarle Sound area: One is the traditional "loop" around the bays and inlets of the sound. The sound itself can get pretty choppy when there is a wind blowing across the fetch, and it can even be dangerous..but watching the weather, it can be great. There is another trip--and it can be combined or done separately: That is going down the Alligator River following the ICW to the Pumco River, then to Pamlico River and follow the Pamlico sound back to where you started. This exposes you to Ocracoke Island, Hatteras Island, Bodie Island and Roanoke Island. Again the sound can get rough, and this is not the marina laden trip as the "Albemarle Loop", but can lead to some real adventures. (I explored this are with a 15 foot boat when I was stationed at Fort Lee, VA. and some of it when we went up and down the ICW with the 62 footer).

Tom, when James on Molly Brown and we went up to the Econ, it seemed advisable to have one boat to pull the first boat off the sand bar.... Not sure we can find the way again. it was not entirely clear--and of course dependent on the water. We are game to at least give it a try, and agree, that there are some great areas to explore.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep forgetting to ask. Inflatable Kayak and Hobie Mirage i11s. Should we bring them or leave home? (Thinking about crocks with big teeth.) Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby we have the inflatable because of the dogs. We enjoy using the Torqeedo and doing bird watching. Believe me, the crocks are over rated. But you can walk around some of the anchorages. Even the pancake breakfast at the old sugar mill, allows boats to come to the dock during day hours....Those of us who have dinghies will always share if necessary.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. Actually, our Kayaks sit a little lower in the water and without the motor, not quite as fast as the dinghy's. And as you know, my Hobie is more of a SUP with a seat. I think there are some great places the Kayaks would be nice/fun to use, but wondering if it's wise to use them where the Alligators roam... The Admiral has already informed me she has no desire to Kayak with Alligators. Shocked Colby
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little fear of reptiles large enough to eat a person is probably healthy. Kayaks are the vessel of choice for viewing alligators in the Okeefenokee Swamp. They have no interest in interacting with humans and disappear under the water if you paddled near. I would worry about pets and small children, especially with the incident in Orlando not that long ago. Crocodiles scare me.

I have a question. How should I pack our boat for provisions? Is there a place to buy food, or should I plan to have a weeks worth of food, water, etc to be completely self sufficient. Our 6 year old can be a finicky eater so that complicates provision planning! We're fine being self sufficient but I need to plan accordingly.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, from what I remember, there are towns nearby that can be driven too, and a few folks will have access to cars. Our host Tom is probably the best guy to answer this one, but I will say there is civilization by, so supplies can be found. As for right at the park, a typical camp store with some items, but definitely not a grocery or department store! Mr. Green The Hontoon docks have potable water and electricity. I'm pretty sure that even within a reasonable distance by boat/water you can find various supplies within walking distance from docks. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom makes several runs to DeLand near Hontoon. Afterward if we go South, Sanford is a stop, and the marina is in town. The ramp where we launch Ed Stone park, is not far from DeLand. The marinas have some snacks.

We have many kayakers in our bayou and a few alligators, never been a problem. We have had a 13 foot gator which was removed. The mature female near our house is very shy. We don't let small children or dogs swim. Even when workers are in the water, working on sea walls and docks, no problem even if small alligator watching. They are not going to be aggressive toward a kayak or paddle board type. There have been a few incidents on the St. John's but those involved marked foolishness on the person who was attacked. There are 15 recorded fatalities from Alligators in Florida during the last 20 years. All seemed to involve being in the water, or near an alligator on the edge of the water.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'll bring my Kayak, and let Rosanne wish she would have brought hers! Mr. Green
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby....the only story about a alligator that I heard about down by Hontoon Island was about a paddle boarder with a dog. The alligator tried to take the dog off the board and the guy had to beat the thing off.
With the warm weather the gators were out by the dozen yesterday on the St. John’s. No one in the C-Otter wanted to go swimming. We do use our inflatable and never worry.

All.....The road at the park is being rebuilt now and will be done by the time we get here for the gathering. The cut between the St. John’s and the Hontoon dead river is now open again after Hurricane Irma. Lots of bird sightings.

Paul...I will be making a run to town on Tuesday and Wednesday for the evening meals and can pick some things up. There are some restaurants in the area. Food is available in Deland and Sanford.

See everyone soon....... Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not soon enough! Rosanne and I had a great time out at my folks and sister in the Phoenix area last week. Then came back to the cold and about 5" of snow. We've been getting a bit of the white stuff every day with another bigger storm forecast for Thursday night into Friday. Really looking forward to Florida soon! (That is, if the boat isn't frozen to the ground and buried under snow the end of this month!) Xmas Eek
JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: group cruise? Reply with quote

Is there likely to be a group cruise before or after up and down the St. John? Has that been planned or is it something that just happens after the weekend?

Thanks,
John Coppedge
The Mighty Wench

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, usually just happens. We'll get there a day or two early, but not sure where we'll spend it yet. Perhaps just anchor behind the park in some back water, or go ahead and pay for the dock early. Or perhaps go up to the Springs that has the Pancake place. Last year we partnered up with another boat and went to the Pancake Place, and the town south of the park. (Names escape me right now.) Last year there were two groups that stayed and cruised, one north and I believe the other south. We went north with C-Otter, but had to break off early to head home. This year I've got 9 days open after the gathering to cruise, and tend to follow fearless leaders Tom & Joyce on C-Otter. All the after cruise plans are usually discussed during the gathering. The before cruise plans are usually just folks arriving early meeting up. Colby P.s. We'll probably arrive Saturday afternoon, March 3rd. Launch at Ed Stone, then likely head down to Hontoon to say hello to whoever is there and then either stay there or head out somewhere else. I've got routes in my ChartPlotter to the Springs with the pancake place, and to the little town south of the park. You're welcome to follow us if we go anywhere, or if you have somewhere you want to go, we might be happy to follow you. That's sort of how it works. Very Happy (BTW, the gathering is in the middle of the week. We were using up so much of the dock space, we all thought it better to do it during the week to leave the park open for others on the weekend.)
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are going to DeLeon springs on Friday, then I believe over to Silver Springs on Saturday--back to Hontoon on Sunday or Monday. We will probably launch on Thursday and go to Hontoon for the first night--fill up with water, inflate the dinghy, etc.

Afterwards, some are going South.

We really enjoy the gathering--but with such great people it is a lot of fun on the "cruises" before and after--we always get some surprises! I would like to go up the Econ again.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John..I will arrive Thursday before and on Friday do the trip with Dr. Bob and any others that are interested unless water conditions change drastically. One small clarification, the Saturday stop will probably be Silver Glen Springs.

After the gathering we are going to try and get to the Econ south of Lake Harney. Nice trip. Skinny water to be sure. I’m almost sure I can talk Dr. Bob into leading us through the shallows.😇

I have not heard of anyone going north at this time but who knows?

There is a lot to explore on the St. John’s.

See you at Hontoon! Tom
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I may try to meet up with you up at Silver Glen Springs if we get in early enough on Saturday. I'll probably give you a call when we get in the area of Ed Stone. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: