It finally happened to me..FOG AT NIGHT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey has AIS transmit function as well, so he's definitely helping others see him. He has one of the Vesper units with the display I believe (Watchmate???)

You have to be careful with MarineTraffic. It is not a replacement for AIS in my mind. It relies on AIS base stations to pick up the AIS VHF signal and put it on the internet for MarineTraffic to use. I've seen situations where there was quite a delay.

I have the Si-Tex MDA1 on my boat. It was pretty close to $500 so relatively affordable on the boat electronics scale.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to agree with Rob about Marine traffic ( which I have and use, even on my desk top at home to keep a eye on my folks) . At best it is minutes behind and some times days. Thats right, That icon for harveys 22 can be from several days ago and was the last reported position. But unless you open each icon you dont know that. And in the SJ's cell services is less then useful most places. I use it to find people I want a location for and not for real time positions.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
<stuff clipped>
Talked to a guy on a cruising site that was under the impression that having radar made him more visible to other peoples radar.????????????? They are out there and they buy boats..

It does.... a little Smile . 1) one usually has more metal on the roof to support the radar and that plus the internal components of the dome increase the reflection (but I agree that's mostly negligible). 2) IF others have their radar on, you often get a streak when your radar and theirs come into alignment (typically every several turns). This provides a vector as to where they are at. I often see other boats from this vector prior to them being in the display range of my radar.

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At best it is minutes behind and some times days.

I knew these AIS apps were marginal, but I didn't realize they could be that off. I only use MarineTraffic in more urban and heavy vessel traffic areas, so I guess that's why I've not seen this "repeater" delay. I will readily admit that these AIS apps are more of a toy than a tool.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Quote:

I knew these AIS apps were marginal, but I didn't realize they could be that off. I only use MarineTraffic in more urban and heavy vessel traffic areas, so I guess that's why I've not seen this "repeater" delay. I will readily admit that these AIS apps are more of a toy than a tool.

I have an apartment that looks out over Elliot Bay. Watching AIS is really entertaining. I can see the names of the tugs bringing in a container ship, the name of the container ship, info on the ship, etc. But the random refresh times are obvious. I can see a ship out in the bay when the AIS icon shows that it hasn't yet cleared West Point. Not really accurate enough to determine the ship's exact location, but we are used to this type of accuracy in other applications (like my GPS chart plotter) and may assume that AIS can be used for navigation. It is more an aid to entertainment than and aid to navigation.

In the fog, AIS could tell you that there is a ship out there somewhere, but I always assume that anyway.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Quote:

I have an apartment that looks out over Elliot Bay. Watching AIS is really entertaining. I can see the names of the tugs bringing in a container ship, the name of the container ship, info on the ship, etc. But the random refresh times are obvious. I can see a ship out in the bay when the AIS icon shows that it hasn't yet cleared West Point. Not really accurate enough to determine the ship's exact location, but we are used to this type of accuracy in other applications (like my GPS chart plotter) and may assume that AIS can be used for navigation. It is more an aid to entertainment than and aid to navigation.

In the fog, AIS could tell you that there is a ship out there somewhere, but I always assume that anyway.

Mark

With an AIS receiver, AIS is pretty darn accurate. I have AIS overlayed on my chart plotter and also have radar overlayed. The signals line up nicely.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I often see other boats from this vector prior to them being in the display range of my

I have to say that I have not seen that and if you do its just pure luck, but interesting. Now you have me wanting to try that and tune my unit to see it.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to know about this delay problem. I'm sure it's always been there for me, but having radar, I've never depended on AIS enough to notice it I guess.

Time for me to start thinking about installing a true AIS receive and send unit. I'll have to look into whether or not my older chart plotter can be integrated. Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that such a unit costs around $500.....it that about correct (hardee?)
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that such a unit costs around $500.....

This one has me thinking about it @$550. Just finishing up a major electronics install on my Nordic, and it has a couple things going for it I like.

GPS is integrated, so you don't need to rely on it fetching from another device. And, since it's N2K - it's plug and play with the rest of my system, and that integrated GPS can act as a backup GPS to my other components should the primary fail.

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Da Nag. I'm putting this on my "do relatively soon" list. I confirmed that it is compatible via NMEA with my 12 year old RayMarine MFD.

BTW, the link you provided is for the 6000 model; I note there is a 8000 model for $200 more. The 8000 has lots of "nice to have" features; and when I get time, I'll look to see if maybe some of these additional features are important. One thing I did notice with the 8000 is that it has a built-in WiFi router. So if I installed this 8000 unit for AIS, I would get my long desired on-board LAN automagically. The 6000 would require a USB cable or LAN dongle to connect it to a LAN (plus a separate router of course). I don't think the 8000 has the internal GPS antenna, so that's a downside; but OTOH, the internal GPS isn't much good unless you mount the 6000 on the roof of the boat (or somewhere with a near unobstructed view of the sky).

P.S. The install manual (same manual for both 6000 and 8000) says one can not share a GPS antenna, but these AIS units can supply GPS data via NMEA to other units. So I'm thinking maybe I could switch my existing GPS antenna from my existing GPS unit to this AIS unit, then make a NMEA connection to my GPS, and thereby effectively share the single GPS antenna.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet provided AIS is useful, and I use it to confirm my transponder is putting out an active signal, BUT, Marine Traffic and Boat Watch both are not real time, and that is important to understand. In most cases, it is fine to use, but I would not rely on that for anything closer than 3-5 miles due to the time delay possible.

By the time you spend the $$$ do the go around, you can probably be into a good marine VHF that has AIS receive and that will have a display on the VHF and also output to your plotter. Most every brand available now will do that through the NMEA cabeling. That will also give you AIS in real time, invaluable info.

And yes, not every boat has an Active AIS device (Class B transponder), but as noted, the big ones do, and since in reality, Tonage rules, those are the big concerns first to avoid. The smaller ones probably won't have radar reflectors, fog horns or anyone with much in the way of common sense, so now you will have more time to be watching out for them.

I know my radar reflector, fog horn and nav lights don't make me impervious or super mariner, but with those, plus the radar, plotter overlay, AIS, windows open and dead slow speed, (up to this point), I have been able proactivly avoid possible close encounters on severa occasions. (Yes, I had a guy in a tin boat, doing 15 knots in less than 100 foot visibility, head down watching his hand held GPS, cross my bow, 50 feet out, nearly jump out of his boat and skin when I triggered my fog horn mid cycle as he crossed my bow.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: