View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Strait of Juan de Fuca: Don't ever take it for granted Reply with quote

Strait of Juan de Fuca: Don't ever take it for granted

I don't know how many times I have crossed the Strait of Juan. This story sends chills down my back and goose bumps all over. Even though I check, and double check the weather, the fuel, the radioS, and wear my PFD, handheld VHF and a ResQLink PLB. And I have an inflatable up and ready.

Don't enjoy this story, Learn.

The title for the story is somewhat understated, be forewarned.

http://www.threesheetsnw.com/blog/2010/12/two-boats-battle-terrifying-storm-on-strait-of-juan-de-fuca/

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

It is not always like this. Actually hardly ever.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of lessons there. They were all lucky to get away with their lives. Check the weather! Also knowing the weather patterns, and what brings on strong winds--and especially what might change to bring those winds before expected! The power boat was very fortunate that the tow rope didn't chafe thru--and that the tow point held. The sailors were lucky to get away with their lives. Having the dinghy also made a difficult rescue easier and safer.

Probably the biggest moral is if you are caught in bad weather, turn back or get to the nearest safe harbor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can never be too careful.

Last night about news time (6PM) there was a quick blurb about a boat on fire at the east end of Juan de Fuca.

One person aboard: escaped into a dighy, roughly between Whidbey, Smith Island and Port Townsend. The news helo showed flat, calm waters, and everything above the hull topsides was gone, with the full length in flames. It was reported to be a 42 foot vessel, (one report said fishing vessel, but from the helo video it showed a definite swim step). There was a US CG fast boat shown standing off at a distance while the flames were still rolling. Good thing the waters were quiet for this.

http://komonews.com/news/local/one-person-safe-after-massive-boat-fire-off-whidbey-island

Checking this morning only found info that the person was picked up by a private craft, and taken in to John Wayne Marina, Sequim.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having run commercial boats in that area for the previous 5 years, I am well aware of how changeable conditions can be in Juan de Fuca. Get wind against the tidal current and it can go to "washing machine" in minutes. Running boats from 32 to 55 feet, it is pretty typical to be in that area several times each week. I always check weather, check it again, and try to get a conditions report from another boat in the Strait. The potential for 95 miles of fetch coming in off the Pacific is not to be taken lightly.

The other straits in the Salish Sea (Rosario, Haro, and Strait of Georgia) can also be tough stretches of water.

Spend any amount of time here, and you'll hear that the San Juan Islands are "protected water." Depending on tide, current, and wind, you can often find protected water there (in the lee of an island), but you can't count on it being the same on any two trips.

It is good to have a healthy respect for all the waters in the PNW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: