The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sea Star steering leaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Sea Star steering leaking Reply with quote

My Sea Star HC 5345 steering has been sloppy and minor leaking for several years. I top off the helm pump each time out.
Today while carefully inspecting before putting it to bed for winter I found a small amount of hydr. oil under the starboard end of the hydraulic rod. Thinking it was those "damn seals" again I looked really well............ta..ta.....on the shiny hyraulic rod there was a very very slight worn looking spot that I can feel with my finger nail. I believe it occurred when the motor 200 hp was tilted over for the 5500 mile trip from W. Palm Beach, Fla. to Ninilchik, Alaska. The 1st 3000 miles was done at 80 mph (by a commercial hauler)and the last 2500 miles on the Alaska Hyw. by me.
Where does one buy a replacement hydraulic tube for that system. I get the feeling that the Teleflex Co. does not want the boat owner to mess around with that system.
Any help would be appreciated.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you will need a new rod and a seal kit. The seal kit is about $80 dollars, I dont know the cost for a rod. It might be simpler to just buy a new cylinder kit. Bought mine off ebay, I'm thinking it was about $225 ?
Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact them and ask then the best approach. They might even sell you the parts directly.

If replacing look at UFLEX

san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark is the customer service manager, I will PM you his email address. He is located out of the Vancouver, BC office. They do not sell direct.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often the "kits" come with the pin wrench needed to take the cylinder ends off. If you already have a pin wrench, or can fabricate one, the seals come in at somewhere about $55. But, being Sea Star that is still expensive.

If you have a hydraulic shop nearby (as most of the ports in AK do), they can probably replace the seals for less.

Here is the Sea Star run down on the various parts which they sell. There are PDF documents for the specific cylinder--and the part I believe you have which is deformed is a "piston rod". When calling Sea Star, you may want to ask if they can get that separately (which they should be able to-but may elect not to sell separately: more $$ selling the whole cyl. I have had Sea Star send me parts directly when there as a defective part.

On the Jamestown site there is a breakdown of each cylinder, and there are part numbers for some of the piston rods. You will have to ID your cylinder, and see if they can get this rod. (plus you will need the new seals, and probably end gland.) (There are several alternative PDF versions of this page.)

There is a company who claims they can "re-manufacture the HC5345 to as new for much less than the new cylinder (which costs between $500 and $600)
Boatsteering rebuilders

Then, I believe near you is:

REDDEN MARINE SUPPLY INC.
3625 East End Rd. Homer, AK 99603
Phone: 907-235-7993 is an official Sea Star rebuild center.

I don't know if they do it in house, or send it off.

If the motor was captive (could not move side to side: either with stops on each side of the ram, or all of the way over, it should not cause deformity or wear on the piston rod.

Edit, I see you just shrink wrapped the boat--can you get the ram out, and send it to be rebuilt during the winter--especially at the local shop?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: