The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

shipping cost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
State or Province: CA
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: shipping cost Reply with quote

Hi, I am brand new to the site, but guarantee you all that I will be one of you sooooon. (a proud c dory owner). I love them. I am looking for a 16 angler, 16 cruiser or 19 angler. As you all know, they are a hot item.
I was curious, seeing how boats for sale are far and few between, How much would it cost to have a boat sent from new york to california/ (with a trailer)
Any input would sure be nice. like a 19 ft.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a world of difference between a 16 and a 19, especially off the coast of S. Calif. Also the tow vehicle will be different. I have fished off S. Calif. in a 16 footer and taken boats as small as 12 feet (inflatable) to Catalina, on a glassy smooth day.

The Shipping costs would be probably very close for a 16 to a 22. You may find a flat bed or boat transporter which already has another boat on a truck going on that run--and it would be less than just towing on its trailer, or taking a single boat.

It could run as much as $3 a mile. You might find one at $ 1 a mile. It is about 2800 miles. If you were really lucky, you might find someone who could do it for less; but do they have the skills to deal with burned out bearings on an unknown trailer?

There are shipping expediters. You have to be sure that they are insured and bonded. Also have your own insurance on the boat.

You put in a bid for this small a boat, rather than using a "boat mover"--which generally use specialized truck/trailers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my advice, based on shipping a Catalina 36 sailboat across the country (twice.)

Call the C-Dory factory and ask who ships/trucks their boats to the East Coast. With luck, they'll give you a broker, call them with the specifics and have them give you a price and opportunity. I did this with Catalina; they gave me the names of several brokers and I called them, picked the one that sounded most reasonable and he got me a ride from California to Alabama. Used him on the return, had to wait a while, left the boat in Wisconsin, about a month. Our Great Loop. Read the start and finish, describes the trucking.

It turns out that the boats aren't trucked by a company, but individual truck owners with boat trailers. They depend on the broker to find loads going in the right direction. So, if he's hauled from the Washington factory to the East Coast he needs a back haul to make money getting back to Washington. That's how the broker can help, finding the guy and negotiating the rate.

Note that any C-Dory and trailer is less than 8 1/2 ft. wide, so there's nothing special. Our boat was 12" wide and needed permits. On the return trip, the trucker had a boat/trailer on the truck in front of us so there's an example.

Boris
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned the 16 Angler and 19 Angler (there is no 19 Cruiser). I would buy the 19 if you can find one. They are very similar to the 22 but just 3 feet shorter! The beam is the same. There is a good size V berth and cockpit. The 19 is lacking the galley and bulkhead but that not be an issue for you. You can add a propane cooktop and a water tank w/ sink if you like. See me album for pics. The 19 will also be easier to tow, if towing is a concern for you.

I towed my 19 with a 4 cylinder (turbo) FWD Volvo S60 sedan and didn't have any issues. But having said that I live in eastern Massachusetts and we are very flat. I would not attempt towing the 19 with that same car in a hilly environment.....

The 16 Angler is a much smaller boat and has smaller beam. It didn't work for me in my cruising area. VERY COOL BOAT THOUGH!!!! To have a real pilothouse in a 16 foot boat is amazing. And that's how I stumbled upon C Dorys.....I was looking for the smallest pilothouse available and C Dorys came up (in the US). In New Zealand there's actually a boat maker that makes a 15 foot pilothouse that I found. But it's like a skiff with an aluminum shell on top and a canvas.....not a C Dory.

Good luck in your search. I would try and meet some other owners and get on the boats yourself. The 16 Cruiser is very cool because it has a v berth (the angler does not). But lets be serious here; the 22 Cruiser is the most popular!!! You may wanna check that out too. There is a medical condition called 3 foot itis.....it's highly contagious and very dangerous. Be careful

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: boat size Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
I've owned the 16 Angler and 19 Angler (there is no 19 Cruiser). I would buy the 19 if you can find one. They are very similar to the 22 but just 3 feet shorter! The beam is the same. There is a good size V berth and cockpit. The 19 is lacking the galley and bulkhead but that not be an issue for you. You can add a propane cooktop and a water tank w/ sink if you like. See me album for pics. The 19 will also be easier to tow, if towing is a concern for you.

I towed my 19 with a 4 cylinder (turbo) FWD Volvo S60 sedan and didn't have any issues. But having said that I live in eastern Massachusetts and we are very flat. I would not attempt towing the 19 with that same car in a hilly environment.....

The 16 Angler is a much smaller boat and has smaller beam. It didn't work for me in my cruising area. VERY COOL BOAT THOUGH!!!! To have a real pilothouse in a 16 foot boat is amazing. And that's how I stumbled upon C Dorys.....I was looking for the smallest pilothouse available and C Dorys came up (in the US). In New Zealand there's actually a boat maker that makes a 15 foot pilothouse that I found. But it's like a skiff with an aluminum shell on top and a canvas.....not a C Dory.

Good luck in your search. I would try and meet some other owners and get on the boats yourself. The 16 Cruiser is very cool because it has a v berth (the angler does not). But lets be serious here; the 22 Cruiser is the most popular!!! You may wanna check that out too. There is a medical condition called 3 foot itis.....it's highly contagious and very dangerous. Be careful

When looking at a used boat years ago I asked an experienced boater and friend to help me make a decision. He said get the largest boat that you can afford and think you will need and then buy the next larger one. He was correct.
Good luck.
Jack in Alaska

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: boat size Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:

When looking at a used boat years ago I asked an experienced boater and friend to help me make a decision. He said get the largest boat that you can afford and think you will need and then buy the next larger one. He was correct.
Good luck.
Jack in Alaska
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: