HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Heaters, tenders and winterization.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
imhoffj

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Heaters, tenders and winterization. Reply with quote

This post will cover more than one topic. I have purchased a 25 Cruiser. I would appreciate tips on 1) start-up and fuel consumption on a Wallas Stove/Heater, 2) tenders that fit atop the cabin without interfering with a low mount Lowrance system, 3) winterizing the fuel, water and holding tanks. I appreciate your help!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: Start up of the Wallas. a. Be sure that the battery is up to 12.6 volts. Some will run the battery charger, or engine to be sure that voltage is present.
b. Be sure that the fuel is all of the way to the pump (small solenoid pump up at the top--be sure that the hose is secure at the top, and plenty of fuel in the tank.
c. If it does not ignite in 3 tries, you have to "re-set" the computer, by pulling the fuse at the power block or battery.
d. Fuel use--a gallon lasted use almost a month in AK during the summer. The amount per hour is little, and carrying an extra gallon of diesel will get you thru quite some time. The Wallas brochure says 3 to 6.5 oz per hour.

2. Any inflatable less than about 9 1/2 feet works well. We happen to use a 9 1/2 foot high pressure air floor by West Marine/Avon. The 8 1/2 foot slat floor is about half the price, and a good tender. I would not go less than 7 feet. Keep the weight at 50# or less if you can. We have used motors from 9.9 hp down to the Torqueedo Electric outboard (1003)--or a 3.5 HP 2 stroke merc. Some have used the 2. hp Honda--I don't like them-but many are fans. The Radar and GPS should work thru the fabric, with no loss of signal. If there is a metal transom plate right in the beam of the radar, that could be an issue..

3.Who winterizes? Evil or Very Mad I use Stabil fuel stabilizer, Startron, and a small dose of Lucas Fuel injector cleaner, run into the engine. If the engine is not going to be run for months, then fog the engine. Water tank, we drain--some put in RV anti freeze or some cheap vodka (and have a coming out party in the spring). Holding tank--RV antifreeze--but be sure it is empty. Be sure that all water is out of the engine block!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob..... I prefer Gin to Vodka ....gives the water a minty smell and a refreshing taste...

I always drain the tank every time after I use the boat....and add a couple of shots...

Joel
SEA3PO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: