The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Spider cracks In cockpit - how to fix?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash 22

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anyfin possible
Photos: Anyfin Possible
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Spider cracks In cockpit - how to fix? Reply with quote

Hi -

I noticed last week that my 2006 22 Cruiser has some spider cracks on the starboard side of the cockpit. Any idea on the reason for the cracks? Can someone share with me the best way to fix and prevent future cracks?

Thanks,
Nash

[img][/img]

1986 Regal Bowrider - sold 2007

Home port - Annapolis, MD
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are called "stress cracks"--although they are not really due to "stress". the gel coat is laid on thick in these areas, to make them smooth, but not much fiberglass mat backing, because of the sharp angles in the mold.

Either live with them, or take a Dremel tool, with a sharp point bit, and "V" them out. Fill with Gel coat, and then polish. May come back--but may not--and you will be happy in the mean time. Good way to learn to do some gel coating work.

Biggest problem is matching the tint. Spectrum Color has in the past had the C Dory white 00-10 in the recent past, it has been only available in quart sizes, but appears they have it in the patch kit. Since Gel coat goes bad with age, that may not be practical. A little yellow, brown and black pigment---very very little, will do the job with "white".

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some of these spider cracks after almost 12 years with the TomCat. I also have a few rash marks to fix after 90 locks on the Trent Severn. I found this product advertised in a Canadian boating magazine. I have contacted them about the C-Dory color. Maybe I'll get a reply soon.
http://dolphinite.com/

Gelcoat in a spray can. I hope they have a matching color. I have done gelcoat repair in the past, but this could be much better than the paste product.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolfinite used to be "the" bedding compound with wooden boats over 70 years ago. It will be very interesting to see if they have the "C Dory White"--which would match to a Cook Composites Gel coat used in the past...I had the impression that NMI was not using Cook Composite??

Brent--any idea on the cost of the one time use spray can or the putty? I wonder how long you have to use the can--since the shaking breaks loose the MEKP catalyst which reacts with the polyester resin in that spray can?
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is flex going on in the area of the spider cracks, otherwise it would not have cracked. As indicated, it is generally a cosmetic thing not a structural need.
As indicated, typically the gel coat had been applied to thick. Gelcoat is not structural. The crack will reappear.
The proper repair is to grind down into the laminate with a tapered hole, build up the laminate, then spray on the color matched gel coat. This is typically more than the home do-it yourselfer is wanting to tackle. The color matching and gelcoat spraying takes some practice. But once you know how, all small repairs become rather easy. I have been playing with fiberglass for years, I own no jars of paste.

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

san juanderer wrote:
There is flex going on in the area of the spider cracks, otherwise it would not have cracked.

Not necessarily I have seen these spider like cracks on many boats in areas which do not flex.

Quote:
The proper repair is to grind down into the laminate with a tapered hole, build up the laminate, then spray on the color matched gel coat.

There are a number of ways to "fix" this..one is to completely grind off all of the gel coat in that area, and either build up with another layer of mat, smooth, fill, and then gel coat. To try and put small number of strands and or pieces of mat in this type of repair is difficult at the best. The simple "V" technique with paste works as well as anything, short of semi rebuilding the area for this specific type of repair, especially for a novice.

Quote:
I have been playing with fiberglass for years, I own no jars of paste.

Fair enough, I have been working with fiberglass since 1952, (65 years) and I have used paste in some repairs--but I don't keep old paste or gel coat lying around. [/quote]

Regards,
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob:
I was 6 years-old in 1952, had not hear a word in English and only knew wooden boats and cotton sails... During the last 50 years or so, I never been able to match gelcoat.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedromo wrote:
Bob:
I was 6 years-old in 1952, had not hear a word in English and only knew wooden boats and cotton sails... During the last 50 years or so, I never been able to match gelcoat.

When "Glasspar" brought a dozen 12' skiffs to Camp Fox, (Button shell cove) Catalina, for testing, I had never seen a fiberglass boat. Glasspar's origin started in 1948, The first fiberglass boats were built in 1936 or 37.) I owned a "Wizzard" 10' fiberglass boat which was built in 1941. I bought it from the original owner. It was probably one of the first production fiberglass boats. It had no gel coat, only painted a dark green, which I sanded off, and the boat painted white.

When the guys from Glasspar left the boats, they left a couple of gallons of polyester resin, and some MEKP--as well as a few yards of about 6 oz fiberglass cloth and some mat. They have me a 15 minute "course" in laminating. The resin was colored but not a gel coat. We did a few repairs. Mostly where some bolts for the seats pulled out and some keel repair from dragging the boats on the rocks. They were a lot easier to repair than the plywood boats which were the "standard" for camp rowing skiffs. I turned 16 that summer. Didn't know a word of Spanish; I was also was very familiar with wooden boats and cotton sails, since I had been helping my dad rebuild his 26 foot sailboat during WWII Thus repair of wooden boats was right up my alley. The $100 earned for the entire summer's work, bought my first car: a 1941, Pontiac Sportsman--straight 8. Matching gel coat is still hard!
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I understand, can you guys confirm that these cracks are not structural and will not allow water ingress into the core? I've seen them on other boats and it's a good thing to know if one is shopping for a boat.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally this is correct. It depends on where the cracks are, and what caused them. If they are on the transom, I look a bit more carefully at what is going one. If they are over an area which is cored--again I am more concerned. In a curve like this--where they are very common--not a worry.

Some impacts can also give similar cracks. If so, then you may want to look at the laminate under the area. This is where a simple moisture meter may be a big help---even the cheapie from Home Depot. If the rest of the laminate is dry--and one area under a crack, then more remediation may be necessary. None of these are fatal wounds however.
Nash 22

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Anyfin possible
Photos: Anyfin Possible
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Spider cracks In cockpit - how to fix? Reply with quote

Nash 22 wrote:
Hi -

I noticed last week that my 2006 22 Cruiser has some spider cracks on the starboard side of the cockpit. Any idea on the reason for the cracks? Can someone share with me the best way to fix and prevent future cracks?

Thanks,
Nash

[img][/img]

Thank you to all of you for your wise advise. I think the repairs are beyond my skill level at this point in time. I will leave it as it is for now while I look for some "how to" videos in YouTube and read some "how to" articles.

Thanks again,
Nash
jbdba01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're passing on it, but this is pretty much your scenario.

https://youtu.be/339W-ZNC1_0
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like what I suggested.
I am not saying anymore !
capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the point of a can opener and score along the spider webs (tracing ). Clean well and build up with gel coat as others have mentioned.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source to buy C-Dory White 00-10 Spectrum gelcoat kits? I need to repair a few chips. I used to but these kits from iBoats. They don't list C-Dory white 00-10 anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: