HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Jose: Go away!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Jose: Go away!! Reply with quote

Its not looking good for NJ, NY and Massachusetts. This could be bad....still time for the track to change but its very ominous now. I really dont wanna haul my boat!!

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/swells-and-rough-surf-jose-heading-us-east-coast

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

Do you have a trailer for your Camano? If you were to haul the boat, does your boat yard have adequate stands, storage, and tie-down for the number of boaters that would also want to be hauled?

Seeing what Irma did to the BVIs and the charter facilities, I would have serious concerns about a boat in a marina in the path of a hurricane.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track the tropics is an excellent web site for summaries of the various models etc.

Check your insurance policy, and see if it pays 50% or more, for the costs of hauling the boat for a named storm.

If you haul the boat--be sure that the yard is going to be above the level of the storm surge. The sufficient jack stands are placed under the boat (often the yard will skimp during times of stress). The jack stands are chained together--both across the boat, but fore and aft. A good yard, will have dead eyes embedded into the concrete pad your boat rests on. There should be chains with turnbuckles (pinned to prevent loosening) to either solid points on the boat, or heavy straps which go across the boat. ropes are not adequate, they will stretch. Unfortunately few yards go to the expense of securing boats properly. All canvas and anything which causes windage must be removed.

The decision to haul depends on the protection your boat has in its slip, both from wind, storm surge, and other boats which break loose. Cleats are not adequate to secure a boat during hurricanes--use pilings.

Also Jason, remember what I told you about the cored hull of the Camano --and that it can be indented by hitting a piling. For this reason, I would make fender boards up for any point which might hit a dock or piling, if you leave the boat in the water.

No one knows the path of the storm at this point. Remember that they were wrong about Irma--both in track--and in intensity. The damage was less because some cooler dry air came in onto the back side (Western segment) and weakened the storm surge and winds after the eye wall passed. If this dry air had not come, the damage would have been twice fold!

It boils down to your call. We all wish you the best--but be safe! Do not try and be on or near the boat after storm force winds occur.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above is projected probabilities of Tropical Storm force winds from Boat US Storm Advisory site

This site also has a number of good graphics.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James: NO, I don't have a trailer. My marina has a huge travel lift and a hydraulic trailer. I'll be on blocks and stands whenever the boat is on the hard (off season). YES, there is plenty of land storage for all the boats (600 +). This is one of the biggest marinas in the Boston area (probably the biggest actually but I can't verify that).

https://www.byy.com/marinas/brewer-marina-bay-boston-quincy-ma/

Bob: Thanks for all your tips and insight (as usual!). Yes, the superstructure of the Camano is cored but the hull is solid glass. I'll definitely call my carrier (Progressive) and find out all the "named" storm caveats. It's good to know for sure.

I'm on the boat for the weekend (at the marina). I got here around 7pm EST. Nobody is really worried about it yet and actually one of the guys (40' Back Cove cruiser) didn't even know what I was referring to!! Another neighbor said that the Dockmaster is monitoring it and will update us by Sunday afternoon. He also said the Dockmaster is in constant contact with the USCG in Boston (not sure if that's BS or not......)

Anyway, this weekend looks glorious in Boston and I'll be taking the boat out tmmrow with some friends. Sunday I'll just be hanging around the dock and gathering storm intel/prepping. Fingers crossed!
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, The hull from the waterline up is cored with foam, as is the superstructure. The hull only below the waterline is solid glass.
Video here, @ 1:57 on construction of the Camano Troll. Plus I have documented core crushing on 3 of these boats in the hull where they were hit against pilings during storms.
Regards,
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Jason, The hull from the waterline up is cored with foam, as is the superstructure. The hull only below the waterline is solid glass.
Video here, @ 1:57 on construction of the Camano Troll. Plus I have documented core crushing on 3 of these boats in the hull where they were hit against pilings during storms.
Regards,

Yes, you're right. I've watched most of those Camano videos from the 90's with that old English guy! Good videos! Coring does not bother me. As we C Dory folks know very well...... The Camano is a tried and tested hull and will last a lifetime. But as many of you know about me I'll sell her long before a lifetime of use! Haha! I also just pulled this excerpt from an old BoatUS review.

"To help prevent water absorption and osmotic blistering, the outer layer of the fiberglass hull laminate consists of fiberglass matte and polyester resin. The vessel's bottom is a solid fiberglass and resin lay-up while the sides are reinforced with 3/8-inch Divinycell a closed-cell structural foam material. The bottom is reinforced in the area of the keel with carbon fiber. The bottom is supported by an all-fiberglass composite structural grid which is separately molded and then secured in place with structural putty. Structural bulkheads are a combination of foam cored fiberglass composites and plywood and are attached to the hull using foam fillets to prevent hard spots and cracks at attachment points. The decks are constructed of fiberglass composite with 1/2-inch balsa core. The deck and hull are joined in a shoebox fashion, fastened with screws and fiberglass throughout its length and protected on the outside by a hefty vinyl molding."
jbdba01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I'm not expert, but I have Andrew and Irma under my belt (and a couple smaller ones).

Thataway has great advice. Here's my $.02.

It's interesting that I was just looking some aerial shots of the keys...some marinas fared well others did not. Almost looked like a tornado may have hit one. I would say that 70-80% of the marinas looked OK. Maybe more.

After having gone through Irma and having a Cat2 go overhead I'm pretty confident that a) a cat 1 wind will not flip your boat on a trailer or if tied down properly on jacks, b) surge is the key, c) if you're hit by a tornado you're hosed. I was lucky in that by boat was having trailer work done and ended up riding out the storm inside a concrete building. That said the field where I keep my boat didn't have a single boat flip (and there are some flats boats there) - there are also mobile homes/RVs and they fared ok too. So Cat1 doable - perhaps even a lower cat2.

If it were me I would check my insurance and haul out.

That said one way that people survived was to get there boats tied in the mangroves preferably in deep water canals. Pics attached. So if you know a deep water creek and tie down like mad...

If you have a mobile home insure it, move it, or leave it. They are bad news in a hurricane/tornado.

Good luck - that seems to be 80% of the equation.

Tied down...

Driftwood Marina - but right next to them it was fine.

Bit farther South...

Bad news for trailer parks - Big Pine and Ohio Key

[img][/img]
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary pics. Is that from Irma?
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the damage from storms is from storm surge. In Irma there was significant surge and waves in the Keys--not as much by the time of second landfall at Marco Island. (Fortunately).

I know several folks in the Caribbean who had long range trawlers, who just went to sea to the South West. I also know of several yachts out of Miami which went out into the Gulf and did fine. Got to have a large boat and good range to do that.

The mangrove option is one used in the Caribbean. In one town, which is at sea level, all of the fishing boats except one are driven as far back into the mangroves as possible, and spider webbed with lines in all directions. The one boat is manned, and has a number of anchors out--usually the biggest and most powerful. Their job is to winch the other boats out of the mangroves after the storm passes. With a Cat 5, as Irma was in some parts of the Caribbean, even the boats in protected areas and mangroves didn't make it.

For tying boats on trailers down--if above the storm surge level--I have helical screw ground anchors. Two of mine are the size used for telephone poles--about 10" screw blades and about 6 foot shaft on the "anchor". I also have 4 mobile home screw anchors; These have about 6" screw blades and 3 foot shafts. These are screwed into the earth and straps over the boat will keep it from being picked up or flipped. If there are F3 on up tornados all bets are off.
Problem is often marinas do not put tie down bolts in concrete pads in their haul out area. One of my friends eventually won a law suit against a boat next to him during a hurricane where the owner was advised how to properly chain the boat down, and refused to do so. That boat fell over, damaging my friend's boat. The repair on my friend's boat was $17,000--don't know how much it was for the boat which fell over, but probably considerably more.

As for Jose--she will come close, but most likely down to tropical storm force by the time she gets to Ma. Still can be some storm surge, and waves in open areas. Hopefully Jason's boat is in protected area.
jbdba01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Scary pics. Is that from Irma?

Yes.

You can see for yourself at the url below. Just go down US1.

http://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And looking to the east, Maria is now ramping up... predicted to be a Cat 2 or 3 by mid-week.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks bad for the upper Caribbean...but hopefully it will go North....
jbdba01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shutters up until end of Oct or second HOA notice.

Seems my generator is finding its way home after being lent out to folks who needed it.

Helped with some clean up yesterday with some folks who were flooded out. I'm somewhat used to/calloused to seeing poor people overseas, but this was the first time I've seen people in the US who didn't have much to lose, lose everything. They have zero now.

Gotta say FL Crackers have a lotta pride - I was trying to get the guy from sleeping in his truck (his house is toast) and he wouldn't leave. He's not mentally ill - just prideful. "I'm not used to handouts." I pointed him to several local churches - I doubt he'll take up that offer. Tough as nails sleeping in that boggy area. I'll check in on him in a few days.

He showed me a picture of his chickens and dogs on the roof. I thought the water had risen to his windows - turns out it was all the way up to his roofline.

I feel for the folks in the Keys, but acting local.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update ***

So, my area (Massachusetts) won't have a hurricane to deal with. BUT its definitely a tropical storm with areas south getting the worst (cape cod).

Im not hauling out (and neither is anyone else at my marina in Boston). I will be taking down all my canvas however and also adding a 2nd line to my stern and bow. My area will be getting winds sustained around 40 mph or so.

Not too bad....but Im still worried since its my new boat! My baby!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: