HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cordless Drill and Impact driver to remove ligh nuts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Cordless Drill and Impact driver to remove ligh nuts Reply with quote

Anyone using a cordless drill and impact tool to remove vehicle and trailer lug nuts?

Brand?
voltage? 18V ?
chuck size? 1/4" 3/8" 1/2"

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 3/4" cordless Dewalt impact wrench with 2 lithium batteries . Have used it many times on many sides of many roads. The only thing better is the Snap On version for double the money .
Lots of blocks instead of jacks for tandem/triple trailers . My personal best is less than 5 min between flat tire and back on road again . Thats assuming you have a good spare.
Marc

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone in all of my portable tools to a Ryobi 18 volt li.ion system. It takes 1/2" sockets in the impact driver, and does fine with lug nuts. I use a 1/2" torque wrench on the final tighten, for the lug nuts. This took so far has taken off any thing I need it to.

I do have an air driven impact wrench with a 30 gallon air tank and 120 PSI compressor, which will move almost any bolt. There are special high grade steel sockets designed for impact wrench sets.

I agree that the DeWalt and Snap on tools are going to be better. But at the time the Ryobi had all of the tools I wanted. Plus one of my friends who is a full time RV mechanic said he was getting excellent service out of the Ryobi units. I have yet to have one fail--but if doing over, I probably would go DeWalt.

With the 2 Ryobi batteries and a quick charger, I run my fan, spotlight/trouble light, Sawzall, drill/driver, and impact wrench, which I carry in the truck/some to the boat. I do have a 1/2" to 3/4" drive adaptor, and a few specific size 3/4" size large sockets. But my torque wrench are only 1/2" Drive (20" handle), and 3/8" Drive(17" handle)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased the Craftsman cordless impact and it seems to do the job with not problem. A lot quicker than the old 4 way lug wrench.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a 36 volt DeWalt 1/2 inch impact wrench when towing. Very impressed with it's capability and it has never let me down.

FWIW I Recently used the wrench to remove a seriously stuck 30 year old bath tub drain. Wrapped a close fitting impact socket with duct tape after a $75 special purpose tool would not suffice. Five seconds and job was done. Just changed my three lawn mower blades in a couple of minutes versus bleeding knuckles and three days in recovery. At age 70, I try to work smarter versus harder.

Only caution is when installing lug nuts, run the nut up until it touches and than use a torque wrench for final adjustment. The DeWalt has the power to actually pull the stud from the hub or stretch the threads. Once you stretch a bolt the nut will continually come loose.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer on which Journey On rests has frozen lug nuts which are a bear to remove. All due to launching in salt water.

At home I use an air driven impact wrench which produces 650 ft-lbs @ 100 psi to loosen the nuts. Works well, but my blowouts occur on the road, usually in some inconvenient place, such as an interchange. I could use a 3/4 inch 20v DeWalt battery power impact wrench (700 ft-lbs, $500). But I use a cheaper, never-fail system: 6' of schedule 80 PVC pipe and a breaker bar which fits inside the pipe, with the appropriate 1/2" socket. Hasn't failed yet and it works better that the AAA service truck's impact wrench. You can pull on the end or stand on it. Never broke a stud or pulled the threads.

Now, you can comment on using silicone grease when putting the nuts on, but remember, that can lead to them working loose a unwanted times. And it doesn't help after a decent amount of time lapses. Though I've started using Salt-Away after I dunk the trailer in salt water. The nuts go on with a standard lug nut tool.

Boris
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the lug nuts/studs I use a small amount of silver anti-sieze prior to assembly. Then I re-torque after 50 miles or so.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,
Have you never broken the Schedule 80 PVC pipe? I have been reluctant to put that much force on PVC... Now if it were steel pipe like I used to carry--

DeWalt 1/2" impact drivers start at $85--didn't see any for $500. I suspect that DeWalt makes them at various price points to complete with the other "cheaper' tools.

Any of the impact drivers sure beat a trip to the emergency room.

Be safe!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I've never broken the PVC pipe. I have several impact wrenches, but they don't put out the torque needed to break those nuts loose. And I don't have any $500 impact wrenches.

I'm not sure where the emergency room comes in, but I've watched the AAA guy hammer on the nuts with his air impact wrench. That's when I came to the conclusion I needed to find a sure way that I could loosen those nuts by myself. And thus a piece of 1 1/2 schedule 80 pipe, a breaker bar I've had since we were both young and an impact wrench socket. Hasn't failed yet.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ER comes from throwing your back out trying to get the lug nuts off..Just giving you a hard time...but I am serious about the PVC pipe--it must be a lot stronger than I thought, or you have some of that specially "hard water" used PVC pipe from Calif Cool

When things get that bad with rusted lug nuts, I have been spraying them with PB blaster. I do check my lug nuts regularly however.

Take care my friend.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Makita it has performed well on the few times I have had to use it.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found standing on the lug wrench (and maybe a couple light bounces) the best way to get lug nuts off.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I always found standing on the lug wrench (and maybe a couple light bounces) the best way to get lug nuts off.

In my 'golden' years I prefer using my trigger finger versus brute force. Heck, at my age, I won't even use a screwdriver without it being powered by Lithium-Ion, albeit my much younger service techs were the same way Rolling Eyes
Karl

City/Region: NORTHERN
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got hooked on Ridgid (Home Depot brand) only because of their lifetime free battery replacement policy. They are mediocre quality, actually re-badged Ryobi products, but for the past 25 years, with most cordless tools, it was actually cheaper to throw the tool away than buy new rechargeable batteries.

I don't know if that HD policy is still in effect, but they made registration a 2-hour job, and they expected that most people wouldn't bother. I've done it 3x.

Worth exploring.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Porter cable bare tool for $99 and already have smaller battery packs. If they don’t work well then buy higher capacity ones

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PCC740B-Cordless-Impact-Baretool/dp/B01MCQ5VO1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529770631&sr=8-4&keywords=Porter+cable+impact&dpID=51lilqpWkaL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srchY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: