HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Deck chairs - help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Deck chairs - help! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

So one down side to my new boat - It has these awesome side steps that are larger than previous versions of the Venture (you can open the hatches and store stuff or turn them into fish wells). I love this feature but one thing that is clear to me is that my plans of having chairs against the back of the cubby and still be able to open the door are out the window unless you can help me find a solution. I was thinking something like plane jump seats (but more comfortable - Ideally recliner) with retractible arms that I can attach under the windows against the cab would work? Has anyone done this or have any suggestions? I could take some chairs and cut some legs / shorten then and use it that way but was thinking something as I described above would be more suitable. Maybe I seek the impossible?

I had these dreams of sitting back there kicking it at night with a nice glass of wine with my wife

Thoughts?

Harald

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harald, I cant visualize it. Are you telling me that there's no way to fit 2 deck chairs in ANY configuration? Seems hard to believe.

Btw, when are you getting the boat?? I know you're excited !

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No room for folding deck chairs? We carry a large chest refer/freezer and chest refer, plus a large action packer--and still have room to carry, and then set up 2 chairs. Marie likes a simple no arm chair. Mine has a side board with place for a drink and plate.

Take an old piece of cardboard and make a template of the chair's foot print--then play with moving them around to see where they will fit.

Photographs of the area will help.

Congratulations on getting the boat!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm following your plans, you were hoping to place the chairs against the bulkhead facing aft, but the large Venture steps don't leave room for doing that while leaving space to pass in and out of the cabin?

I think once you get out on the water, you'll realize you'll want the flexibility to move the chairs around anyway (for example, depending on what way the boat is facing, you may or may not want to be facing into the sun, shade, wind, etc). And so really any chair should work fine for doing what you want (kicking it at night with a glass of wine!)...I have room for 2 chairs in the 22 and the Venture 23 cockpit feels more spacious even with those huge steps.

My preference is the style that "fold up" into a tube / cylinder. I throw them up into the cuddy when not in use, they just tuck into the v-berth between the cushions and the hull nicely and out of the way, deploy quickly and easily, and are super comfortable. And you could use those big Venture steps as foot rests!

Congrats on the new boat, looks awesome!

-Mike

Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike you got it. Smile. the side steps take up 10 inches or more into the beck deck. they are nice in that you could build and put pillows there to sit on them. I think what I will look for are those chairs with a single back leg and two front legs. I think this will work best. IE tripod chairs that way I can scoot them back into the corners and face the back at an angle yet still maintain maximum space. I do like the wells for storing stuff like fenders etc. I also think with a plug they could easily function at live wells. Other than that this boat is absolutely perfect for our needs. She is so nicely finished with the LED lights etc. I am quite happy all around. I slept on her in front of my house which was fun, the berth is plenty big for me and my wife and pretty darn comfortable. All in all the boat exceeds my expectations in build quality and fit and finish.

Maybe something like his would work. https://www.rei.com/product/113162/eno-lounger-dl-chair
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"... I slept on her in front of my house which was fun,..."

Nothing like a new fiberglass high Thumbs Up Cool Thumbs Up

Harald, That REI chair looks pretty cool. 3 legs, means you can us it on uneven ground, or boat sole and it won't rock. That "rocks" Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reaction to a 3 legged chair, was just the opposite as Harvey's--I like to lean back! OOPS...man down. Maybe if the center of gravity is low enough the 3 legged will work, but in a rocking boat??? check it out, and be safe.

For us, the sling type of chairs don't do well for our backs--but we are all different, and others find them "comfortable"

One nice things about boats is that there are always options and great ways to think out of the box, especially with a C Dory.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked back at the dimensions and weight:

Unfolded Dimensions 37 x 32 x 23 inches
Folded Dimensions 18 x 6 inches
Seat Height 37/32 inches
Weight Capacity (lbs) 250 pounds
Weight 4 lbs. 10 oz. ounces

A seat height of 32 inches. That doesn't look right according to the picture.

Bob, I like to lean back too, and that wouldn't be very workable with this.

My own chair that I take with me all of the time --> 2 fenders, blown up pretty tight, and cross them one on the other, sitting on the floor of the cockpit. Like sitting on a balance ball, but not as high, and I have the fenders with me already Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this wayyyyyyyyy down in the comments section:

Posted 8 months ago,

Q: Can you tell me the correct size of the chair, folded, and seat height?

A: The correct packed dimensions for this chair are 18 x 6 inches. The seat height can adjust from 3 to 10 inches. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will update the information on REI.com as soon as possible.

I guess REI hasn't gotten to the revision yet.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Deck Chairs Reply with quote

We have a pair of Lafuma folding deck chairs for our 22. They have proven ideal and have held up well over four years of use. They are light weight and easy to set up and carry around for dock gatherings plus they recline for that required nap. Our aging backs appreciate the design. One will even fit inside for napping when the weather is inclement and one doesn't feel like clambering into the v-berth.

They're available on Amazon and come in a variety of colors.

Hank and Pat Clow
Meri Aura
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long search I found these https://www.rei.com/product/114354/rei-co-op-flexlite-macro-chair they are ideal and fold up into a tiny package. The legs slide right under the larger side wells on my 23. Due to the small food print at the legs I can also fit two of them at the helm above the deck when anchored. Anyways glad to have found them and they are very comfortable. I got them blue. If you check out my maiden voyage album you can see them there both my buddy Steve sitting on the deck in one and me lounging on the bow.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck chairs - help! Reply with quote

Ordutch1975 wrote:
I had these dreams of sitting back there kicking it at night with a nice glass of wine with my wife.

Skip the glasses, drink the wine right out of the bottle, and sit on the floor so you don't fall out of the boat.

Getting your boat ready must have worn those Sportcraft guys out. As of last night they had not even started on mine. Maybe I need some wine.

Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck chairs - help! Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:

Getting your boat ready must have worn those Sportcraft guys out. As of last night they had not even started on mine. Maybe I need some wine.

They are super busy right now and had some team members out. They’ve been working long hours. They got my and slipknotts boat finished so we could take them out this last weekend. My boat is now at the top shop and will be getting the 9.9 installed as well as bottom paint.

I’m sure yours will be done soon. And I know you’ll love the power. I am very pleased with the 150.

Cheers,
H
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: