View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I've stayed out of this as long as I can. As a person with 10 years of fish farming experience it's been hard to keep my opinions to myself.
Starting in 1980 I went to work for Domsea Farms We raised up to 20 million pounds of Silver salmon a year in net pens in puget sound. King salmon had to be raised in such low densitys that it was not profitable.
Domsea had a staff of word class biologist, dietitions and geneticist that developed their top producing strains of silvers that grew faster than wild fish.
Fish convert feed very well in their life cycle. 1.9 pounds of feed equals 1 pound of fish. Try that with cows or pigs.
We had two large freshwater sites in Rochester Washington that had had a 30 million egg capacity. From egg to smolts these fish were babied , if a isolated group of eggs or fish became sick, they were treated or destroyed.
We worked very closely with the UofW and national marine fisheries on all aspects of fish rearing. With clean well maintained sites and disease monitoring fish farming is a viable way to produce food stocks.
In 1989 Global Aqua a Norwegian company bought out Domsea farms and started raising Atlantic salmon because they grow faster than the native silvers or kings. I did not agree with this and left the company and now 29 years later Cook aquaculture owns most all of the salmon farms and net pens.
I still know several of Salmon farmers who work for Cook aquaculture, they feel like they were hit by a buss and have a very unsure future. These are good paying jobs and will put a dent in the economy if shut down.
There, I've had my rant and will let everyone elses emotions run wild.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Larry thanks for the link. I see a C Dory in the header. I was amazed when I brought up the number of salmon farms in all of the PNW--I have been going into this area since about 1950. Even 25 years ago there were relatively few of the farms.

Hyjack alert!
Bob, that C-Dory you see in that header is owned by Alexandra Morton, Also in that photo. She started her career as an observer and documentor of the BC orca population. I believe she is the holder of the title for owning the same C-Dory the longest. I don't have the mfg date on that one but i believe it is mid 80's. Her's is the first C-Dory I ever saw, pictured in some orca stuff I was following back when....

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: The end of wild salmon in the Broughtons? Reply with quote

Here is the latest blog post by Alexandra Morton:

http://blog.alexandramorton.ca/

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
DW

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wicked Pissah
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would like a wonderful introduction to Alexandra, consider her first book with Billy Proctor; another legend. The book is titled: "Heart of the Raincoast; A Life Story".
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DW wrote:
If you would like a wonderful introduction to Alexandra, consider her first book with Billy Proctor; another legend. The book is titled: "Heart of the Raincoast; A Life Story".

Excellent book, and Billy is a most interesting person. He is a living legend and a nice guy too. I have visited at his museum several times, and had him come to my boat in Shoal Bay twice.

I met Alexandra in Alert Bay a couple of years ago. I wanted to talk C-Dory, but she was all about the salmon, the farms and what they were doing to the salmon and orca. I spent some time at her research station just south of Echo Bay. That was one ofvthe highlights of my Broughton cruise in 2016.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
DW

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wicked Pissah
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What good fortune. I have blasted past their place on the way up to Glacier Bay and have always wanted to go back. Retirement is nearing and that might just happen. But regardless, I am so thankful to the work and example of Alexandra, Billy and all those that have battled to keep this a very special place. And the work they do to protect our food source is completely under rated by both governments and most of the population on both sides of the border. Great to see this cause on the C-Brats site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: