View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: TyBoo repower Reply with quote

My old Honda 130 has pretty much given up after 18 years and 1600 hours. A leak down test suggests the water in the oil is from a bad head gasket, which isn't such a big deal in itself if not for me seeming to have oddball problems.

A few of the early Honda 130 blocks had a problem with cracks and they also had a corrosion problem with the fuel delivery system. When I first got the boat I had Les at EQ give it a check up. He verified that the block was not one of the problem ones and updated the fuel system under warranty/recall. Honda extended the warranty out to ten years on everything and the motor has been perfect until now. It was in 2002 that they issued the recall and the 130s built since then had the updated fuel system parts along with a new design for the cylinder head.

Fast forward to today - the head gasket for the original head on my 1999 motor is obsolete and to repair it requires an updated head. A local shop found a used one that he could put on but I decided it was too much to do for so old an engine.

Off to Sportcraft Marina in Portland we went (a great place for all things C-Dory, by the way). They successfully converted me to the dark side and I will soon have new black Suzukis hanging off the back - a DF200 main with a DF9.9 kicker. The big motor is ordered and they will put it on shortly after Labor Day.

The DF200 is a recent design using an inline 4 cylinder that weighs 498 pounds total, about a 100 pounds less than their previous V6 200 hp model, and a few pounds less than the Honda 130 I now have. I think the Honda 150 which is a good fit and popular on the CD25s is a few pounds lighter.

I went there planning on a 15 or 20 hp kicker, but the tech explained to me, once again, about hull speed and how the smaller motor will move the boat just as well as the larger one up to that point. The DF9.9 has electric start and power tilt and still comes in cheaper and lighter than the all manual 15/20 hp so it was an easy sell.

The only sad thing in this is that I decided to sell my tractor to pay for the boat upgrade. I never really needed a tractor anyway, but it was a John Deere so it was tough letting go of it.

Anyhow, even though I am missing out on the big crowds for the salmon fishing this year, we might be able to make it north for the late September Stuart Island gig. I would not have trusted the old Honda and no kicker that far from home. Who knows - I might even catch a fish or two while we run up the initial 20 hours on the new motor.

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't know what to do with all that power! Woohoo! I had the V6 200 Suzuki....crazy power. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the new V4 version. Sounds like amazing technology

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo

Now that you have re powered why don't you join us on our Lewis & Clark Expedition Cruise?

This trip would be a great low speed 100 hour breakin for your new big engine.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, those black motors look really nice on a CDory... BTW, the 9.9 is also fuel injected. I'm going to put one on my boat. Black and silver looks lopsided. Actually, the fuel injection is appealing.

Consider putting a PermaTrim on the 200.

Congrats!

TyBoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Permatrim was a great addition to the Honda 130. I will try the new feller without it for a bit but suspect I will add one to it. And oh yeah - that's right - I forgot to mention the fuel injection on the little guy. The only goofy thing I see with the Suzies is the need to take off the plastic case section to get to the oil filter. They could've made a door or something.

We might wander upstream a little ways, Jim. It is really neat cruising past the mill I worked at all those years and not have to be there.
Slipknot

City/Region: Scappoose
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choices, and the Suzuki also has a self adjusting timing chain rather than a belt that has to be checked and replaced. My new 25 has a Honda 200 on it which I'm looking forward to running.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great choice of engines. I agree with the kicker. You would not go any faster with a 15 or 20.

Did you get the digital instruments or analogue? Also you have two different charging circuits. All kinds of things to explore. I know my son's 25 runs great with a 150 Honda--yours will be awesome with the 200.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting the digital gauge. The additional cost ($400) was the same as the Suzuki rebate so I like to tell myself it was free. I do not know if that includes the sensors for fuel flow and speedo. It is the same square shape and size as the Raytheon depth gauge that is on the opposite side of the panel so it will look cool in there.

It also displays water pressure with an additional sensor, but I'm not sure what pressure is being measured?

I'm looking forward to trying it all out. My big old heavy boat has always been a dog with the Honda 130 and sometimes climbing up the big ocean ground swells was kind of spooky when the SOG dropped down to 3 or 4 kts. I am thinking the fuel economy will be better, too. I have always averaged right about 2 MPG.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whaa-whooo. Good for you. I think you will like the power change, and the new reliability. I was surprised to hear such low hours and needing to replace.

Congrats on the upgrade. Now about that tractor. I can understand the reluctance. Just consider that Johnny was pulling for you to the last step.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool 200 horses. Nice.
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torque of that new black Suzuki will bring a smile to your face every time you throttle up. Ryan, at Sportcraft, is such a great guy to do business with (extremely honest and a wealth of knowledge).
1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that Ryan is awesome! Congrats on the repower I am sure you will enjoy it for years to come Smile
"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo, give us a run up Youngs Bay, above the new YB bridge, OK? I wanna hear those 200 horses!

Oh, high tide, of course!

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be amazed how different your boat is going to preform. I repowered from a 150 Honda to a 200 Yamaha and the difference was short of amazing.
A 200HP for a 25 C-dory is the perfect match.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I am a tiny bit jealous, since I know that 200 horses would get Daydream up on plane and singing anywhere on the Loop, and sometimes that would be nice. But financially I am happier just putzing along and merely humming...IF (when?) we need a repower, that will be a different thing.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: