The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

trim tabs without indicators
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: trim tabs without indicators Reply with quote

So I'm having trouble using my trim tabs. There is no indicator as to what position they are in or how fast they move. Anyone else find this to be true? Can I add on indicators or would I need to replace the switches that have indicators built in?

One more thing I think my trim tabs are wired backwards. If I toggle the right button the port side tabe moves and vice versa. I thought it would be easy to switch the wires. MOst switches just have a positive and negative but when I looked there were more wires than I knew what to do with.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your trim tabs are wired correctly. Counterintuitive, but correct. You can add indicators but that can be a tad spendy for what you get. It gets easy with practice and 1/2 second "blips". My old Sea Ray was a real pain to get trimmed correctly. The C-Dory is far easier.

Don
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added indicators after the fact and it wasn't that difficult to do.

The way your toggle switches are wired is correct, according to the manual. The intent is that you depress the right-hand toggle to put the starboard side of the bow down (and this is done by activating the port tab). I, however, couldn't get used to this and switched my wiring around the other way. In other words, my mind knows that depressing the port tab will affect the starboard bow and my preference is to have the left-hand toggle activate the port tab. If I still have my wiring diagram, I'll let you know which wires you have to switch.

Al

True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your wired right. It's a little counter-intuitive but trust your controls. In respect to indicators, I'm doing OK without them and wouldn't spend the bucks to change up.

I'll try to describe what I do and maybe it will help you figure out your tabs.

Generally speaking, you want your main engine to remain relatively level using your tabs to adjust for conditions. The optimum position for my main is about 10 degrees down. Find this position for your own boat and always start with the main in this position. Secondly, I start the day out with the tabs fully retracted or bow up. I then extend both tabs (bow down) for a count of six. This usually gets my boat in a pretty good shape and I then adjust for lateral trim counting as I go. If you get out of shape, start over.

It won't take long before your a pro and really appreciating the benefits of your expenditure. Tim
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed my trim tabs, I also installed the auto control. I don't have the gages- thought about getting them. But I love the way the auto control works. I put the boat on plane and played with the tabs till I was happy with the way the boat ran, then set the auto control. Now all I do when I get on plane is turn the auto control on and it takes it from there. When ever some one move around it will adjust to the new load- after 5 seconds. It has a 5 second delay to keep from continually adjusting while people are moving around. The only time I touch the switches is after I turn the unit off, then I use the switches to bring the tabs all the way up, hhmmm maybe I should get the auto return feature also.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. I thought for sure they were wired wrong. Let me wrap my brain around this. If the boat is listing starboard and I want to level it I reach for the port side switch. Seems backwards to me but I'll have to adjust. Thanks for the reply's.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not going to change the wiring, which really is pretty simple, just think of it this way: "if you want the port bow down, activate the portside toggle; and vice versa."
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read recently that Bennet sending units will be NMEA 2000 compatible. Trim tab position can be fed to the new generation displays such as the Lowrance LCX series. A dedicated gauge will be unnecessary. Same is true for fuel level, fuel flow and more.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/001085.html
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trim tabs can be confusing, especially if you've seen different styles. You just need to understand what they are telling you.
On the 2005 22' Cruiser C-Dorys for instance (Electric Lenco's), if you trim -say- the left bow down, you would push the left button and the left side indicator lights would illuminate incrementally. If you glanced down you would understand that you had activated the left(port) side down. It SHOWS YOU WHAT YOU ASKED FOR.
On the 2006 25' Cruiser however, different system (hydraulic Bennet's).
When you toggle the left button, the RIGHT side lights illuminate incrementally. That is because- in fact- you are NOT actually making the left bow go down at all. When you ask the left bow to go down the right trim tab activates down ( like a flap on an airplane) and it LIFTS the right (opposite) side. So on THIS system, when you ACTIVATE left down, the system assumes you've rec'd your PhD in aerodynamics and SHOWS you that the right tab is lower in the water. This system SHOWS YOU WHAT IS HAPPENING.
Some people like seeing which tab is lower, and some want to see that they've activated a certain side. If you've seen one, the opposite is tough to grasp. Trust me on this one.
I understand both, but the newer (to me) system that indicates what is happening sometimes causes a mild headache behind my left eye as I remember which boat system I'm on and I do math on a mental chalkboard.
Hope this was of some help. It helps me...FROM TIME-TO-TIME!
So everybody is correct. If you can remember that.

Hope this was of some help. If this was confusing, just don't respond and this line will go away.
Get it????
Fair winds...
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks new guy and others. I think I'm finally rapping my brain around the concept. Thumbs Up
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger , would you install they auto control again ? I have the trim tabs gauges and use them , will be adding they auto this fall , have a big chocolate lab that never stop moving around. Gary SEARAM
Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it in these terms:

The switch is labeled "bow" "up" & "down"
You are actually controlling the bow, and not the tabs...

I have always found it easier to work that way.

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DodgeRam wrote:
Roger , would you install they auto control again ? I have the trim tabs gauges and use them , will be adding they auto this fall , have a big chocolate lab that never stop moving around. Gary SEARAM

Gary,
Yes, I would install the auto control again. The only thing, with the dog continually moving around, it waits approximately 5 minutes to reset. This keeps it from continually trying to adjust. If the dog is always on the move, it won't do what you want it to do.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what ya mean! I thought the arrangement was weird at first too… then I adjusted the wiring in my brain to the natural logical function of them in stock form, and can’t imagine it any other way.
Remember: the position is irrelevant, till you get over trolling speeds. I think them indicators were developed for use at a stop, or trolling speeds. There is no doubt which position they are in, the faster you go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: