The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/29 - 10/01 - Stuart Island, San Juan Islands WA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather permitting, I'll be there in the 16. Somebody has to represent the little fellers now that Catman got all uppity with his 23.

Just installed some fancy new electronics in Taco. Does everyone attending have their MMSI current in their profiles?

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm still going to launch at Squalicom. 9 miles longer but more protected and scenic. I'll just head towards Friday Harbor and cut up thru the Wasp/Yellow Islands.

I'll be up there on Friday mid-morning and returning on Sunday. Anybody wanna play follow the leader, I'm up for it.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather looks like it should be nice. Have a great time and sure wish I could join, but not working this time.

BTW, for anyone traveling on Whidbey Island, there is a huge motorcycle rally of some sort called the Oyster Run on Sunday but there will be tons of MC traffic on the island Sat and Sun. One of the ferry staff - PT to Keystone -- told me they will have between 100 and 150 bikes on some of the trips. Keep an eye out. (Looks like I get to miss that one too.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Last edited by hardee on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, we should be headed out about the same time frame. As much as I dont like bellingham late September is not a good time weather wise to use Blaine. it much open water if the wind comes up.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
We will bring as much dry firewood as possible. I hope some others can also bring some. I cam supply as much dry firewood if anyone is interested. They will need to stop by our house before we leave.

I will bring firewood on Tosca. I figure I can load a bunch into the dinghy I keep strapped down to the cabin top. I'll have to ferry it over to Cap Sante in the car and load it via cart since the boat is currently hanging on my mooring buoy, but I have other items to load at Cap Sante while getting fuel anyway.

How about kindling? I have some, but it ain't too dry. Hatchet? Axe?
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
The weather looks like it should be nice. Have a great time and sure wish I could join, but not working this time.

BTW, for anyone traveling on Whidbey Island, there is a huge motorcycle rally of some sort called the Oyster Run on Sunday but there will be tons of MC traffic on the island Sat and Sun. One of the ferry staff - PT to Keystone -- told me they will have between 100 and 150 bikes on some of the trips. Keep an eye out. (Looks like I get to miss that one too.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey, thanks for the heads-up on the Oyster Run. Just realized though, that is this weekend, and the Stuart Island event is the following weekend, correct? I misunderstood and my previous comment about traffic/ launching from Anacortes now deleted.

-Mike

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, the Strait of Georgia is a pussy cat compared to the Strait of Juan de Fuca! We live in Birch Bay now full time, and it was our vacation home since 1989. Every time we went out, we had to go into the Strait of Georgia. We would choose Blaine over Bellingham every time. Bellingham Bay is a frickin' washing machine! It is a straight shot out to Stuart from Blaine! Piece of cake! But I may be a little bit biased...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag, are you sure you want to make that big trip in such a small boat? I hear it can get pretty windy up there this time of year. I just worry that your lake-boat might take on water, or maybe flip. I hope this helps.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock, you should be more concerned about me and my river boat. I'm used to the puny little Columbia you know.

I wasn't too worried about the water out of Blaine until Tom chose B'ham to not have to worry about it. There have been one or two things Tom and I have disagreed on over the years but I do have a genuine respect for his knowledge and seamanship.

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year I am joining a friend who has chartered a 40ft sailboat out of San Juan Sailing in Bellingham from the 23rd to the 29th. It has been a lot of years since I sold my sailboat and am looking forward to the trip. I hope everyone has a great trip and I will be watching for C-Dorys on the water.

Steve
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike R, You are right, Oyster Run is the 24th, and the CBGT is the following weekend. My bad.

But, Always, a good idea to keep and eye out for the "bikes"

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear it all depends.. got that.

What I mean is that where you launch and retrieve all depends on the weather on that day and what you want from the trip. I will not pick a launch most trips until the day of the trip. I have an A plan and B plan.

So here is an example for this trip. I get up on friday and hear that the wind is 25 knots out of the s to se. Or ssw. These are the worst wind for bellingham . It give's the wind the longest reach and time to build. I would choice Blaine over bellingham on that day but I would choose anacortes over blaine. It provides the most cover and wind shade. If the wind was only 5 miles per hour then blaine for Stewart would be good.

Now if the wind was to change to north west or even west then bellingham or anacortes is the way to go. Any wind over 15mph from the any direction that has north in it makes Blaine a no go no matter where you are going as every where you are going is going to put the wind right on your beam with 50 miles of fetch to build the swell. When we came back from Powell river this summer this was the problem we had. Wind report said 20 out of the W NW. so wanting that wind to my back I headed to the gulf islands the night before crossing in the morning. We woke up and the wind had changed to ne, which now puts the wind on my beam heading back to Blaine. We had to turn back after a few miles because it was unsafe UNTIL( this is the second part of any planning)The tide changed.

I know that I sound like a broken record about this but you should use the wind and tide as your timer for travel and not your watch. Waiting a few hours for the tide to change and allow the swell to lay down will make for a faster and safer trip. So after getting turned back twice we found a place to anchor in a cove and I sunbathed on the roof for two hours then left. Instead of 4 to 6 ft on our beam we had 2 ft on our beam which is far more comfortable and safer.

Have a way to check wind, tide and current ( not the same thing as tide) before your trip and while on the boat. It has never been easier then today to get this information in real time on our phones but I still listen to the weather report on the VHF and know where all the points they are given wind reports for are at. Which ones are effecting me that day.

so were will I launch a week from now? It all depands....
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think we will be able to make it. Apparently the shop doing my bottom paint is behind schedule. We won't have our boat back till at the earliest next Friday. UGH!!!

We'll see maybe they will complete it early but I doubt it.

H

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now our plan is to leave Friday morning from Cornet Bay.
A mellow incoming tide into Rosario Strait looks good in the morning, which gives a route through either:
-Lopez Pass, Lopez Sound, Friday Harbor, Jones Island to Stuart
or
-Across Rosario, South Lopez through Cattle Pass, Friday Harbor, Jones Island to Stuart Island.

Pretty safe transit through the islands with minimal fetch of wind except across Rosario with a possible North wind against incoming tide.

As Tom said, morning of, we'll make the final call.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plans constantly change anyway, so the actual decision will be made on the spot. Right now it is looking like Oak Harbor will be the starting point, with La Conner as the first stop. I really like going through Deception Pass and have launched a few of my SJ excursions out of Coronet Bay or Oak Harbor in the past.

The way it stands at the moment, we will be going up this Saturday, 9/23, and braving the motorcyclists to go either to Oak Harbor (most likely) or Anacortes. We will decide on a right or left turn when we get there.

If it is Oak Harbor, then we will go Saturday afternoon to La Conner for the night, Sunday night at Doe Island, Monday night at Friday Harbor, Tuesday night on Matia or Sucia, Wednesday night at Deer Harbor, Thursday night at Jones Island, and then Friday morning back to Deer Harbor for a shower then on to Stuart Island for two nights. Of course, any of those places could be swapped for any of several others and a windy Skagit Bay might have us stay right at Oak Harbor the first night.

I understand what you all are saying about conditions and tides and currents and wind direction, and I appreciate the advice very much. We get some interesting stuff going on down here at the mouth of the Columbia pretty regularly so I am aware of what can and cannot be controlled.

Thanks! See you somewhere soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: