View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpt vic

City/Region: northeast river/chesapeake
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C~Pearl
Photos: C~Pearl
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: bilge pump Reply with quote

we are in process of buying now.. was reading posts about pumps but couldn't find it again so what do you all think about the pumps that check for water every so offen. i've never had that kind before and think that they would be annoying and battery draining( our boat would be in the water without shore power.
the 22 we are getting had that kind of pump i guess it's standard .it came on as soon as we boarded let me hear ya cpt vic
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"annoying and battery draining" -- that's exactly right!

Most have replaced those with the straight pump and float switch as the factory does now. Some (if not most) of us have also added a pump at the transom. I put in a 1200 automatic wired direct (with a fuse) to the battery so it's always ready to pump whether I have the cabin pump on or not (I still have the abomnible original you describe).
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been gone over before in this link and others. In brief, most people find the noise annoying (especially when overnighting) and replace them with the Rulemate or similar. I also have problems with the autocycling pumps failing at about 1.5 years.

You should seriously consider adding at least a second bilge pump (and perhaps a larger one) to the boat. I have one in the factory location, one between the fuel tanks, a spare that is wired to plug into a 12V cigarette lighter adapter (with a long length of wire and a long spare hose) and a manually operated pump. I want to be SURE I always have at least one working bilge. Also, be sure to check the operation frequently and clean it often - especially if you boat with a dog or cat on board. A little hair in the bilge can seriously impair operation...
Best,
Roger on the SeaDNA

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two pumps set to auto in the way to go. I have wired both of mine as auto with manual over ride. whenever i get on plane I run the rear pump for a little bit.
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added a cheap second pupm to the stern with its own switch. If some water collects, I just hit the switch for a minute. If you decide in advance, tha factory will set it up for you. I had mine added after a year. Seems like I always had a little water between the gas tanks when it rained - not any more!!
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpt vic, you buying new or used? I had assumed used from your post as the factory switched over to the RuleMates (not the "fully automatic" Rule which cycles) awhile ago. So, if you are buying new, you won't have that problem but take Luca C's advice and get two pumps installed at the outset. I probably also have both pumps upped in size from the std. 1100 gals/hour to about 2000 gals per hour.

Roger on the SeaDNA
sally's sister

City/Region: chesapeake bay
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: sallys sister
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: related question for bilge pumps Reply with quote

I've got the factory pump midships and another at stern between the tanks...both on auto/off/manual switch at helm..works fine.

Here on Chesapeake we get some freezing in January and February...I will be in the water at my slip...anything to be done to prevent the bilge pums from freezing up due to small amounts of water that collect around each one?

sally's sister
cpt vic

City/Region: northeast river/chesapeake
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C~Pearl
Photos: C~Pearl
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: reply to rogerbum Reply with quote

we are buying new 06 but they told us that the pump that's in now will "check" every so often and then continue to run if it senses water.. i don't like that idea we are used to 3 position switch with float and i think that is what we will ask them to replace it with also by what eveyone is saying a manual in the stern is also good, i did see water between the batt boxes and i think i would like to be able to clear that as well. specially if you want to camper shower in the cockpit. cpt vic
Jeff M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello CPT Vic,

Congratulations on your new C-Dory. Thank you! We went to the Rule bilge pump with the mercury float switch built in. We have not been using the auto cylce pump for nearly two years. The bilge may have had enough water to kick the float switch on. Please let me know if this is not the case. We have also added a check valve to the bilge outlet hose that keeps water from running back down into the bilge when the pump kicks off.

Good luck with your new C-Dory.

Jeff

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a check valve awhile back but have mixed results. the valve i used is a Plumping item made of brass and the spring may be to heavy. What is the factory using? and were can I get one?
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
... What is the factory using? and were can I get one?

Me too....??

How can I get a couple of there (I have no fewer than 3 pumps on my boat.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: