The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

LOADED 2007 22' Cruiser, $35,000, Seattle area

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Marketplace Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmacpiper

City/Region: Bainbridge Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Big Blue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: LOADED 2007 22' Cruiser, $35,000, Seattle area Reply with quote

2007 C-Dory 22' Cruiser, "Big Blue"
US$35,000

Overview:
I am the second owner of this great boat. I am selling to upgrade to a Ranger tug, and will greatly miss this boat! She does it all: cruising, fishing, crabbing, shrimping, exploring tide pools and shallows, sightseeing, day trips, etc.

The boat was originally rigged and sold by Les at EQ Marine on Whidbey Island. Compared to my previous C-Dorys, the rigging job is head and shoulders above. It is well thought-out and tidy, and clearly shows the expertise of the rigger.

The original owner of the boat had it built/equipped for long-term cruising. As such, it is loaded with just about every possible option. We cruised the San Juan Islands in her a few years back and greatly enjoyed all the thoughtful touches. I will outline all the good and the bad below, and I’m happy to discuss the boat with you. I will be forthcoming and give an honest appraisal of what is right and what needs attention.

I am still having trouble finding a free photo hosting site that works with this forum, but I’ll try to post pictures to the thread later. If you know of such a site, please let me know! We are fishing for most of the weekend, so pictures will probably be forthcoming on Tuesday.

Hull:
—High roof option, 6’6” interior standing room
—High radar arch option to accommodate dingy
—Blue accent color
—Interior and exterior teak grab rails
—Very heavy duty bow cleat, from Port Townsend Foundry—handmade and very solid. Used for Columbia River anchoring. The pattern for this cleat has been in use for about 90 years!
—Bilge pump replaced in 2016 with the style that has no moving parts for sensing water level (doesn’t stick “on” and burn out)
—Telescoping boarding ladder on forward port bow—makes beaching and solo trailer recovery a breeze
—Basic self-rescue device (knotted rope) at stern

Engines/helm/fuel:
—Twin Evinrude E-tec 50hp motors, 1,025 hours (approx 75% trolling, 25% running)
—Water pumps and lower gear oil replaced this year
—Dual fuel tanks, 23 gallons each, currently set up to feed both motors from one tank at a time
—Factory set to use XD100 oil, extremely clean-burning
—Super easy motors to maintain, and they start and run like new
—Hydraulic steering with custom wooden ship’s wheel, hydraulic fluid just replaced/bled
—Bennett trim tabs; hydraulic pump was replaced last year (2016)

Electronics:
—Full Raymarine package, including chart plotter, sonar, radar, integrated electronic compass
—Simrad autopilot (pump needs replaced, see below)
—VHF radio
—Radar reflector

Fishing/Crabbing:
—Dual Scotty 1106 down riggers, 36-60” booms, with swivel mounts, rod holders and braided line instead of stainless
—Ace Line Hauler (crab pot puller) that uses Scotty downrigger mount and plug
—Four rod holders on radar arch
—Custom rigging/bait table from Miller Marine mounted on stern rail

Canvas:
—Factory blue sunbrella on all seats and v-berth
—Full sunbrella camper back, which includes:
—Bimini top, which folds and stows out of the way for fishing, etc.
—Side windows to completely enclose the cockpit
—Sunbrella curtains that hang on the inside of the windows, and give full privacy for the cockpit
—Full interior curtains, hand made in complementary colors, which roll up and store in place
—Sunbrella cover for radar dome
—Vinyl cover for hydraulic brake pump on trailer
—Full cover for the boat for winter storage (grey sunbrella) which covers motors as well, made by King Marine

Anchoring:
—Delta plow anchor with 25’ galvanized chain and 150-200’ nylon rode (can’t remember!)
—Lewmar windlass
—Custom anchor nest from Miller Marine, built for Columbia River anchoring and can accommodate rocking chair anchor. Locking pin through anchor for trailering.
—I will consider passing my Columbia River anchor setup along to the right buyer, but we will need to discuss this

Batteries/Electrical:
—Dual Odyssey PC625 AGM starting batteries, new in 2017
—Single Odyssey 2150 group 31 AGM house battery, new in 2012, load tests in the normal range
—Xantrex three-bank charger built-in to the boat, with remote monitoring panel
—Shore power input on cabin bulkhead, feeds charger and interior outlet
—All battery cables replaced in 2017, and all aft connections cleaned and coated with dielectric grease
—Custom battery switches with voltage sensing relays, allow for house battery charging underway, parallel start batteries in the event one dies, etc.

Galley:
—Standard sink with foot pump (25 gallons freshwater tank)
—Original butane stove has been removed and replaced with a stainless plate (stove was defective and was a fire risk)
—Portable butane stove included with fuel
—Condiment shelf

Interior:
—Wallace diesel furnace with two vents
—Standard 22 seating for three; port forward seat slides to face rearwards, for dining and/or to create a single berth
—Portapotty under v-berth, with privacy curtains for berth/potty
—V-berth easily accommodates two adults
—Dinette for two, converts to berth for one
—Standard storage in multiple locations
—Screened windows and forward hatch
—Carpet in the aisle
—GFI outlet under dinette with circuit breaker
—House lights in cabin and v-berth

Docking:
—Four color-matched fenders (blue)
—Curved bronze chocks forward, allowing flexibility in crowded marinas (spring lines, etc.)
—25’ dock lines midships
—12’ dock lines aft

Safety:
—3 water-activated inflatable life jackets from West Marine
—Fire extinguisher (new in 2017)
—Basic boat hook from West Marine

Dingy:
—Alaska series heavy-duty inflatable, 6-7’, inflatable floor allows small storage footprint, reinforced underside for abrasion resistance
—2hp Honda outboard, less than 5 hours
—Dingy stows on the roof, under the radar arch
—Outboard stows on the transom rail

Trailer:
—King saltwater trailer with four bunks and “slick bunk” over the carpet (wiring will need service, see below)
—Towed by 2” ball size
—Electric over hydraulic disc brakes (will need service, see below)
—Spare tire with full spare hub attached
—Jack and winch both upgraded to Fulton F2 series
—Bow stop upgraded to large roller
—Boat Buckles (stainless/saltwater version) added to rear—best $100 I’ve ever spent on a boat! These allow rear to be tied down and released in seconds
—Step chock for securing truck/trailer at launch

Extra touches:

The original owner wanted to create a bit of a retro/tug feel in this boat, so added several things that are different than standard C-Dorys.

—12” bronze port light (from New Found Metals in Port Orchard) over the galley, instead of the standard window
—Dual 8” bronze port lights for the v-berth, which I have but are not yet installed (also from New Found Metals)
—Teak grab rails inside and out
—All cleats are bronze Herreschoff-style (four-screw) and have beautiful patina!
—Quarter boards for starboard and port running lights (I have added LED lights below, but the quarter boards are still there)

What needs attention:

The boat is currently in use, so none of the following things are needed before getting on the water. I live close to a launch, so the trailer stuff has not been pressing. Better to be fishing than working on a trailer! Smile

Starter motors on engines—these are still working fine, but are a little slower than when new. I would guess they’ll need replacement in the next couple of years, or you might do them now for more peace of mind. They are relatively easy to swap out.

Trailer—I would recommend replacing all wiring and lights; they work but one side’s tail light is intermittent and all have been used in salt for five years. I launch probably 20-25 times a year. The hydraulic brake pump is fine, but with trailer wiring questionable, the brakes do not work properly. I do not know the condition of the brake calipers after 5 years of saltwater use, and the backup battery will need replacement. The calipers worked fine as of 2015. Tires are fine for local use, but I’d replace some of them if you plan to do over-the-road trailering (2 are newer than the other three).

Auto-pilot—the hydraulic pump is badly rusted on the exterior and no longer functioning. The pump will need to be replaced, and then hydraulic lines bled.

Anchor light—has just stopped working—I will investigate. It is LED and the unit is easily replaced (I’ve done it when the original incandescent went out). I will likely have this repaired in the next week, but just in case…

Bilge—there is some mildew around the fuel tanks and in the bilge, plus a little in the starboard battery compartment. I have always run a dehumidifier in the cabin for the winter, so it is clear of any mildew.

I think that’s it, but will pass along anything else I think of after posting!

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and let me know if you have questions. Please message me privately or email, and I’ll pass along my phone number.

Given the “fully loaded” nature of the boat, price is firm at $35,000.

Best,
Ben McCafferty
bmacpiper@me.com

2004 19 Angler, "Crush", sold 2012
2007 22 Cruiser, "Big Blue", purchased 2012
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, The best boat is a used one, or should I say, one that is till in use. This one sounds pretty unique and the Bronze upgrades should be distinctive.

You didn't mention it, but the trailer sounds like it is a tandem axle, after I counted the tires.

This looks like you have a really full package so it should go quick. Best to you in your upgrade.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bmacpiper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey, yes, tandem axle, and still using the boat until it sells!

A HUGE correction: engine hours are 466 today, not 1,025!

One hour meter lost its battery one winter, and reads 0255.0 because it reset. I glanced the other day and saw 1025.5. Oops. The hour meter that is accurate shows 466 today, which is about where both motors are. I bought the boat in 2012 with 168 and thought "Man! Have I really done that many hours???"

The 75/25 ratio of trolling to running is still accurate.

Whew. Glad I saw this.

Best,
Ben
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmacpiper wrote:
Thanks Harvey, yes, tandem axle, and still using the boat until it sells!

One hour meter lost its battery one winter, and reads 0255.0 because it reset. I glanced the other day and saw 1025.5. Oops. The hour meter that is accurate shows 466 today, which is about where both motors are. I bought the boat in 2012 with 168 and thought "Man! Have I really done that many hours???"

The 75/25 ratio of trolling to running is still accurate.

Whew. Glad I saw this.

Best,
Ben

Ben, You are right, that is a huge correction. Good Catch. I'm repeating it and added the bold.

Also Twins, so a super good maneuvering boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bmacpiper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, you're making me want to not sell it! Yes, I have loved the twins and particularly the etecs. Such easy motors to live with. When I lost the trim tab pump last year, I could still get a good amount of roll adjustment with just the motors. When you get them both running the same rpm, it's like being in a twin engine Cessna. Smile

Catch you later,
bmc
WYWestCoast

City/Region: Rock Springs
State or Province: WY
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking forward to seeing some pics
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you posted this in the "For Sale by Owner Forum, it should allow you to post photos directly. You can also ask the moderators for a photo album. Then link or moved photos directly into the "for sale" thread.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bmacpiper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks like the boat has sold already. I was amazed by the response, and am glad to report that the dory will stay in the Pacific Northwest where I might see her on the water!

If anything changes I'll post again, and thanks to you all. This has been a great community for many years!

Best,
Ben
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Marketplace Reference All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: