The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Midwest C Dory Gathering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Midwest C Dory Gathering Reply with quote

I know it's a long, long ways away, but we have never hosted such an event before and would like input. We are beginning to plan a C Dory gathering here in the midwest.

We'd like to know:
1) Who's interested.
2) Choices for locations.
3) Activities you're interested in.
4) Any other comments or suggestions.

Thanks!

Stuberg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Lake Michigan Reply with quote

Chicago would be a great spot for a gathering as well as a number of harbors on the west side of Michigan such as Holand, Spring Lake, Muskegon, and White Lake. There are a ton of great choices on Lake Michigan. I know the harbors would welcome the group with open arms.

If we do Chicago, an architectual tour of the city via the river would be really fun. If you've never been to Navy Pier in Chicago, that's also a great spot.

Muskegon has a great summer celebration and often hosts Tall Ships and other groups in the downtown area.

Count me in for anything on Lake Michigan.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few gatherings in the mid-west. I believe the first was on the Upper Mississippi River, with a cruise down river from Hastings. Others have gathered in the Apostle Islands. Moose would have some suggestions, probably, in the Lake Superior area.

Oh, and Georgian Bay or the Trent Severn Canal would be beautiful water as well. Ah, so many fine choices in the Heartland.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do hold one in the Chicago area, depending on schedule, I might want to fly out to drop in. My mom, sis and bro all live about 40miles W of chi-town . My brother's never been out this away to see my boat so I could take him in to see the next best thing (someone else's CD).
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I sit here today on the day that I emptied all of the gear and cushions and etc. out of Not For Hire I love thinking about a Midwest cruise.

The last three weeks of September are fabulous cruise times, almost all marinas are still open, and the crowds are gone.

Would love to do Apostle Islands anytime.

Would recommend Grand Traverse Bay and Green Bay all months but September or May would be extra special. Both have many lovely marinas, towns, scenery, history, etc. They are tourist playgrounds for good reason. More importantly they are comfortably navigable by C-Dories 9 days out of 10.

The trouble with a Lake Michigan cruise (although the Wisconsin and Illinois ports are a tad better than Michigan because of prevailing winds) is that the weather/waves can keep you off the lakes for days at a time. I fish out of Manistee frequently. On average I can probably go out 5 days out of 7 depending on the month. But sometimes you can go out ten days in a row sometimes you would be bottled up for 5 days. So I think we would need a backup plan. If the gathering were only for two or three days it would be plenty fine to just visit other folks and boats but you know the itch to get out past the breakwalls would be there.

Another possibility but one I couldn't recommend except in early May or after Labor Day (too crowded) is the Michigan Straits area. I was there again last week. Using Mackinaw City or another Marina as a base you could visit Mackinac Island, or the St. Mary's River (and see huge ore boats and every aid to navigation known to man) and Drummond and Bois Blanc islands. If it is rough you can cruise or trailer to Cheboygan and go through a single 15 foot lock to the inland waterway. Many miles of twisting rivers and two big inland lakes and some smaller ones. There are not so many overnight marinas on the inland waterway, but at that time of year you might be able to anchor off one of the state parks for a pleasant evening or two.

In August you can catch many salmon out of Manistee, etc. I would be happy to take anyone interested or to lead any boats that were interested. The launches do get a little crowded but there is room enough out in the lake.

Is an Ohio River cruise an option. Never been there but intend to visit. Would also love a Twin Cities gathering and particulary if I had a two week tail after the gathering to float downriver.

Where are your Hoosier customers going to do their boating?

I wonder if the clan will be doing that Kentucky Lake thing this spring as an early cruise this year. Hope Freebyrd and others repeat. And Erie and Trent and New Hampshire and Chesapeake and Delta and San Juans and Alaska oh boy, better take my meds. Like Halcyon says, it is a candy store.

So Rabidfish, why don't you pick a time and then we work on the destination.

Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Rabidfish,

I suggest the western basin of Lake Erie. I know the area well and although the islands can get crazy, I know a great anchorage in East Harbor, which is nicely protected and there are a number of marinas nearby for supplies, gas and so on. Cruising the islands during the day would be great and there is also a nice beach where the boats could anchor in shallow water and the crew could wade ashore. There are some good ramps nearby, too.

Nick and Marcia
Valkyrie
Rabidfish
Dealer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all over the idea of September... Although I don't want anyone with kids to be left out... anyone got a problem with that?

As far as places...

I like the idea of Erie's western basin. But it would almost have to be September or it's just too crowded. (not that I would mind the exposure... being a dealer and all) And it has been discussed to have a fishing derby as an activity... Walleyes and Perch can be caught on very inexpensive equipment with little or no experience.( Everyone should be able to join in...) Also someplace like Skipper Bud's(formerly Marina Del Ilse) Might even provide us a cozy place to dock. It's in East Harbour as Valkyrie suggested. The Marblehead peninsula/Bass Islands have a fair amount of history... Plenty to see and do.

Although... Michigan's Inland waterway would be great also... Definitely not going to run anyone in a C Dory ashore there for bad weather.

Hmmm... Green Bay also has good boating... And those Scandinavian fish boils are just too awesome! AND... For the female folks... theres a great chocolate shop in Escanaba just across the bay from the Port de Morts. Navigating "Death's Door" always looks good on the logbook(especially if you're a midwesterner that belongs to a yacht club or the power squadron.)

Chicago, Chicago... It's a heck of a town... (my apologies.... couldn't help myself) There's a seldom boated, little know triangle there also... a large portion is through a very industrial area(not very pretty) but downtown is kinda neat. Hard to imagine boating with skyscrapers all around you. And... oh my lord! the food... Did I mention... Oh my lord! We can round it all up in: You guess it! Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana....
(Ooops... again, my apologies! )

There is no way Cindy would let me do Apostle Islands... She knows I wouldn't come home... Then again... Maybe she would!

The Whaler guys(continuouswave.com) meet in Little Current every year... ( North Channel/Georgian Bay/Bay of islands...) Maybe we could challenge them to a contest for the best anchorages... I'm thinking watermelon eating or three legged sack racing, maybe trick skiing?something like that. Loser has to cook breakfast for the week! Trent Severn wouldn't be too far from there either...

Does September interfere with anyone else's gathering? I Don't wanna step on toes...
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabidfish,

September would be fine for us and you're right, there's much less traffic after Labor Day. In fact, Marcia and I took Valkyrie for a three day cruise in the islands the second week of September and the state park dock at Oak Point on South Bass Island was empty except for one other boat on a Friday night! The perch fishing was good, too and they're probably going to raise the limit to 50 from 30 next year.

I didn't know that Marina Del Isle had changed hands or was renamed. My only experience with them was their refusal to limit us dock and eat at their restaurant because we were in our sailboat and draft was NOT an issue!

Another idea: how about Cedar Point Marina? There are great facilities there, a good restaurant and the amusement park for those interested, although there is the noise factor at night. Also, the sandbar a mile away in Sandusky Bay is agreat place to play and socialize.

Nick and Marcia
Valkyrie
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All-- how about something a little different, there are several chains of lakes, around the Rhinelander, Eagle River/Three Lakes, & Minocqua, Wisc. areas. The cruise easily be as long or as short as for each individuals needs. These are sort of isolated areas,wind conditions are usually not a problem, with miles and miles of cruising,& camping,usually sandy shorelines, lots of free boat ramps with free parking in most areas, excellent fishing, unexplored shorelines & islands, backwoods type restaurants, and bars, alot of old (log cabin) style Supper Clubs that serve great steaks and fish. I was on two different lake chains a few years ago in Aug. and was lucky to see more than a dozen boaters a day, and these were mostly day fisherman. Also Duke's Outboard Marine in Rhinelander has a very nice museum dedicated to antique outboard motors of all types. Minocqua also hosts an in the water wooden boat show every year.Just a thought but, then Door County is nice also.

Rich--- on Don Quixote in Kentucky Lake
Rabidfish
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought...

Perhaps some of us here in the midwest might like to get to know some of the east coasters... perhaps someplace like 1000 Islands?

I know nothing about the area except it's a "must see" and that boats have passed through on occasion.
Terry

City/Region: Attica,New York
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousand Islands Cruise is a super idea -- beautiful cruising and the New Englanders would probably come.

C-Dory---Its more than a boat ---its a FAMILY!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago or Milwaukee would be really cool!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: