View previous topic :: View next topic  
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Canada By Water Reply with quote

What do you have to do when you enter Canadian waters from the San Jauns or Straight of Juan De Fuca? Do you need a permit first or can you radio for permission. I'm sure you would need a passport and carry no handguns. I've crossed the border several times pulling a boat but never by boat. Any info or experiences shared would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Forrest
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Canada By Water Reply with quote

forrest wrote:
What do you have to do when you enter Canadian waters from the San Jauns or Straight of Juan De Fuca? Do you need a permit first or can you radio for permission. I'm sure you would need a passport and carry no handguns. I've crossed the border several times pulling a boat but never by boat. Any info or experiences shared would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Forrest

Hi Forrest,
If all you're doing is going into Canadian waters, nothing is necessary. You're not supposed to raft up, anchor, or go ashore without clearing Canadian Customs. Go to a Port of Entry, and go to or call Customs (depending on where you enter). You'll need passports for everyone onboard, some fruits and meats are not allowed, and you're right about no handguns. They will let you know if they want to search your boat, give you a number to display in the window while you're in Canada, and you're good to go. Very easy.

About the same coming back into the US.

HTH, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of other ideas and suggestions here.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really easy. just dock at one of the custom dock located in canada( Poets cove,
Sidney, Victoria harbor, etc.) and pick up the phone. Ten questions or so later and they will give you number to put on the side of your boat, in the window, and off you go. All you really need is ID, and boat regerstration. A Pass port is good but not required just yet. You can bring a gun with you no problem as long as it is not a pistol. Shot guns and rifles are fine. You dont really need one unless you are going way up north in to the back counrty. There is a list of what you can not bring back into the U.S. garlic is one of them. coming back in is harder. We try to have customs meet us in anacortezes You have to hit customs at the first place you stop. If you run straight back thru the islands with out stoppping you can check in at anacortezs and not have to deal with the nazis at La Roche. There are a few web sites with all the rules if you really want to put your self to sleep.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cleared into Canada at Sydney or Bedwell Harbor, South Pender Isle. Sydney usually very quick. We would pull into the Bedwell dock when the customs was just starting to inspect a boat, and were never inspected.

Comming back from Alaska, we cleared in at Prince Rupert--generally easly. But one time, the customs agent noted my Buck Sheaf Knife by the companionway door. It was in a black leather case, and looked like it belonged on a police gun belt. He got very suspicious about guns aboard. Then he asked my profession--to which I replied "Physician"--wrong--he then asked if I had any medicines aboard (which we do and are legally entitled to carry). Fortunately just about as he was going to find my morphine etc--the ferry arrived and he had to leave....

I would advise against taking any gun into Canada. Definately no handguns. My impression is that today rifles are less tolerated than they were in the past. A shotgun might pass, but with limited amo. We also carry "Bear Repellant" It is pepper spray, which is not permitted, but Bear Repellant is permitted, and is actually required in a couple of places where there was a high incidence of Grizzley encounters. Go figure. We don't carry guns into Canada. If we need a gun in AK, we have our gunsmith ship it to a gunsmith in Ketechakan--and he ships it back.

There are passes which seem to be less used today than in the past--but if you are a frequent border crosser, it is worthwhile getting one. (Nexus and Canpass) We take passports--if there is any question it is easier. I notice that more flyers are using passports ad ID than in the past also.
You do need the general operators radio permit. Theoretically you need the Ship's radio license, but this seems to not be enforced. We have always had it. But since it is not required in the US and there is free reciprocity, I have not heard of anyone being taken to task for not having one. Also we have always found that cashing checks, traveler's checks, using credit cards etc easier if we had our passports. Some places may require two picture ID's--Driver's license and Passport suffice.

Pets require records of vaccination, and we get a health certificate from our vet.

We have never had any problem at either border. Not much hassle and lots of fun on the other side....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

susan corrected me and I just checked, if you dont have a pass port, not required yet then you have to have a Id and proof of citizenship. In other words a birth cert. Same coming back in. Its really easy to get a pass port and if you have it then you dont have reason not to go. I do not beleive that there is a restriction on the amount of ammo you can carry as long as its not pistol ammo. The best thing to do is read the web site for customs on both sides.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
susan corrected me and I just checked, if you dont have a pass port, not required yet then you have to have a Id and proof of citizenship. In other words a birth cert.

This is true, but in the summer of 2009 passports (or passport cards) will be required for all U.S. citizens. This article provides more detail.

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago we went to Victoria and checked in with customs when we got there....no problem....
But when we came back it was late and we didn't check in with US customs...

ARE WE FUGITIVES ? can we never return to Canada ?? what ??

Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules about firearms is at:
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/visitin_e.asp

"Non-restricted (most common rifles and shotguns): These may generally be imported for purposes such as hunting, protection from wild animals in remote wilderness areas where firearms are allowed, or target-shooting. They may also be taken in transit through Canada by a reasonably direct route."

"A valid PAL, a confirmed Non-Resident Firearm Declaration or a Temporary Borrowing Licence (for Non-Residents) will allow you to buy ammunition in Canada. As well, you may bring limited amounts into Canada with you."

The forms have to be filled out and the "permit" is good for 60 days. There is a $50 fee.

We had a friend who loads his own, and does a lot of shooting--he had 300 rounds of 30.06 ammo--and had to give that up at the border. He was allowed 20 rounds.

Another interesting item twice we have been very thoroughly inspected in our RV, pulled out of line, complete search of all compartments and under the RV. We were told by the Customs officials that "every vehicle from California was suspect"--
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel, you most certainly are a fugitive. If you pm me I will relate a rather long story about what happened when we had someone other than "the ships' captain" call customs. You could possibly be in for headaches no one deserves.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel - you are toast! You will be deported to Canada but they will refuse entry because, as far as they know, you are still there! Wow, I would probably not post that for Homeland Security to read if I had re-entered the U.S. without going through customs! We'll all visit you in Leavenworth! (Kansas, not Washington...)

SEA3PO wrote:
Two years ago we went to Victoria and checked in with customs when we got there....no problem....
But when we came back it was late and we didn't check in with US customs...

ARE WE FUGITIVES ? can we never return to Canada ?? what ??

Joel
SEA3PO

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drove our Pathfinder up there one year, brought and declared the Browning Auto-5 12 gauge we had as protection from bears as we were camping in remote areas. Not a problem at the border, until, when digging out the buckshot and slugs to show them, the agent found a stray .38 special cartridge I'd inadvertently left in the daypack with the shotgun ammo. We got pulled aside and a team of them went through everything we had, to include opening the air filter cover and removing it. It was embarrassing and greatly delayed our trip. So go through all of your stuff if you have a handgun or ammo that could be present that accompanies a gun you don't have with you to declare and remove it. If you are like me it seems those little .22 shells end up everywhere.

On another note. We fish halibut in Canadian waters but usually stay in Port Angeles or Neah Bay, WA. I've used my .44 handgun to dispatch the fish if in U.S. waters, but it's not legal to bring into Canada. So we've just brought the harpoon to dispatch fish there. Still, it is easy to imagine a fishing trip planned for U.S. waters near the border, with a handgun brought along, and the wind comes up and you end up seeking un-planned for refuge in a Canadian port rather than fight the storm to return home that night. The presence of the handgun could be a real headache at the end of an already, white-knuckle, exhausting day. One more reason to use a harpoon, or, like I plan to as soon as possible, get a single shot dedicated halibut gun - a stubby stainless steel and synthetic stocked .410 shotgun (called a "Snakecharmer" I think by N.E.F.) which neither country will give you much grief about - but still declare it! C.W.

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On guns in Canada,

Canada has rules about the barrel length and overall length of rifles and shotguns and I don't think that the 'snake charmer 410' is long enough.

Be sure to check before you go!!

ON EDIT: Here is a link to the Snake Charmer shotgun
http://www.verney-carron.us/pages_us/iii_technical.htm

Note that one model has a 'pistol grip stock'. Canada does not allow shotguns or rifles that can be held, pointed, and fired using one hand.

The other model, 'field gun' has a conventional stock and if it meets the length limits, may be legal in Canada.

I was told this summer by a Canadian that shooting any fish in Canada with a gun is not allowed. When landing a halibut in Canada, they use a harpoon and float, and wait for the fish to die prior to bringing it aboard.

I recommend doing a Google search on 'gun rules, Canada' to check out their extremely complex gun laws.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006

Last edited by Larry H on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge hassle with my Snake charmer -- ain't gonna do that again. May be okay now, but check.

Dusty
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hunted bear in Quebec and Canadian customs was very specific on knowing the address of the hunting camp and the outfitter's name.

Also, be aware that a shotgun with an 18 inch barrel, legal in the US, is illegal in Canada.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww more research to do. To be honest, we really like the harpooning. It involves more people and is exciting with the big fish. When we had a double on and the buoy and line had been stuck through one fish, it was nice (in WA) to just shoot the other in the head and be done. might need two lines huh?

C.W.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: