City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the ResMed AirSense 10.

Colby- I have been been just adding distilled water to the reservoir as needed to bring it back up to the Max line. I haven't got sick yet but......
If you just use the water until it is gone and it runs out in the middle of the night is that OK? Is there a problem with the humidifier running on empty?

With the heated tube, there is an electrical contact that they caution about getting wet. Makes it hard to submerge entirely in water. Anybody have any good i9deas about keeping the contact dry and still give the tube a through cleaning?

Has anyone tried the ultrasonic cleaner I have seen advertised?

Thanks
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only run mine out of water a few times. And other than a dry warm smell I notice coming thru the mask when I wake up, it doesn't seem to have hurt anything. When I traveled with one of the machines during my active airline pilot days (not so many years ago), I did carry the complete machine, with the humidifier. I just carried a small bottle of distilled water, and would empty the water tray back into that bottle for use the next night. I don't use the heated hose, nor have I seen the cleaner you refer too. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene and Mary,

Yes you can run the humidifier empty, but it depends on the machine. I have only heard of 2 cases where there was thermal damage and I believe in both instances, the machines were left to run dry for a long time. (One was over a long weekend, and the other was never admitted, but I have used the same machine - an old Respironics Pro series, and I run it dry on a regular basis, with no adverse results.) You will probably notice the difference and the smell when it runs dry.

I titrate the amount of distilled water so that it is just about dry by wake up time. It usually works well, and if there is any water left, I dump it and run the machine while I shower and dress so that it is all dry to shut off for the day.

With the heated tubing, I believe you can wash that, but just don't leave it submerged to soak.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone in the NW and W parts of the country near the numerous wildfires, smoke and ash.

1. CHECK your CPAP/BiPAP filters !!!

I looked at mine yesterday and it was dark brown after only a couple of days since last replacement.

2. Be happy. At least we are breathing clean(er) air at night than most people.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Merv, that is a good reminder.

Also, I know sometimes the shelf, stand, or dresser where the machine sits can get a bit crowded. This could cause some blockage of the air intake and make the machines work harder. The intake is usually at the back, side or bottom of the machines, so it is good to be sure that the area is clear.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: