View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Full Circle Reply with quote

First off I want to thank everyone who contributes to this site. I frequent many websites that have to do with boating and fishing, and I feel this community really stands out. I have been following this site for at least two years, even though I have never owned a C dory. And overall everyone has been very nice and helpful, whether they agree with what I have to say or not. I found this site when I was looking for my first boat, and the decision was between an arima and a Cdory, both in a sixteen foot version. I went with the arima, although I will say I missed the hardtop, and decided no matter what, that my next boat would have one.
Then came the time to purchase again, the decision was between three boats one of which was the 22 CD. I let myself be influenced by my fishing comrades, and went with what I imagined fit me best, and the style of boating that I wanted to do. It was not the CD. But even with a brand new boat of another make in my driveway, I still found myself checking this site at least daily, and following people's adventures, and projects on their beloved Cdory's. And also looking at used and new Cdory ads. After a couple months, I realized I had bought a great boat, but maybe not the best one for my actual purpose. It was great for fishing, but lacked in the overnight capabilities,and darnit I was jealous of those great wallas stoves. So I decided to get back on the market for a new boat, of course the Cdory was #1 on my list. Then came the CC. No need to rehash all that, but I was impressed by a couple of features it had, and thought it would serve my needs similar to a Cdory. I was starting to lean that way. Then I recieved an email from Jeff at the factory. I had emailed him and he got back to me and wanted me to come in and tour the C Dory facility. I was more than excited as I just love boats and people so I went down there. Jeff took at least three hours out of his day to spend with me going through the factory, answering all my questions, showing me the boat building processes and just talking about boating and fishing. I had a great time, and really got a much better feel for what all you C Dory fans already knew. The level of customer service, and how they are really interested in what us users of the product think. I was very impressed. As I drove away I thought hard about the decision I had before me. I won't lay out all my motivations here, as it will take too long. But I will say that the feeling I got from Jeff was a very good one, he seemed very honest and eager to earn my business. Another factor was that I wanted a tried and true hull, after my last experience. I didn't necessarliy want a brand new model that may or may not have kinks in it. So here I am going on boat #3 and this time it is going to be a Cdory. It's been a long journey, and I've learned alot along the way. I've made some freinds, and probably made a couple people angry( although that was not my intention), and overall have enjoyed the experience and my time here. I wan't to thank all of you for your patience with people such as myself, who maybe rock the boat a bit. And thank you for your influence, I think that the people here, and the information here, are a fantastic resource. And I just want to thank all of you for that.

Sark

Last edited by Cutty Sark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stuberg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Congratulations! Reply with quote

Congratulations Sark!

Did you go with the 22 or the 25?

How are you going to equip it?

Good luck with everything!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, join the club. I've wanted to point out a good reason to get a C-Dory for some time, but not in some debate. I've built a lot of things, from spacecraft to chicken coops, and one thing that's always proven invaluable is the quality of work and the attention paid to detail. The C-Dory seems outstanding (as it well should, they ain't cheap) but that doesn't get discussed much.

I'm working my way through Journey On, and they did a good job, down to the details. When I get in trouble (and WE will,) I have an idea nothing will break. At least the stuff they did.

In boat design there are always trade offs, but most designs are close enough. Its the way they were built that pays off.

Boris
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sark, that's kind of you. Keep us posted.
Cynthia - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark & Brats...

Just wanted to throw in my thoughts on all of this boat quality talk...

As most of you know, we own a 1986, "original" 22' Angler. Structurally, she is the same as the day she was built - no hull or gelcoat problems at all. In fact, it pretty much looks 'newish' from a few feet away. Not as 'new' as the Bambina, but pretty good for a 20 year old boat!

We have added our own 'fluffs' since we bought her though - Wallas, curtains, storage changes, canvas back w/window coverings, Hondas X 2, electronics, fuel tanks, & hatch. We still have the original CB & radar, that works wonderfully Brock might add.

Jon and I are thrilled with our "C-Lou" and, would never upgrade to anything else. She's seen more fish blood than most charter boats!

Wink CLou

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has bee "lurking" on this site for a while, even before signing on as a member, I would like to second the remarks made by Sark.

I have sailed many things from little dinghys on rivers and ocean in the UK to Grady Whites (25) up and down the NE coast. More recently my wife and I (Yes, she loves boats and fishing and is therefore a "keeper") had a big 'ol Tolly (Twin of course) which we underused, since I have not yet retired, and started looking for something that we could rush out and dunk in the water whenever the mood struck.
After having experienced the help and friendship of the local Tolly club, it was a joy to find this forum. IThe fantastic number of open minded inputs on every topic under the sun convinced us to go back to Cornet bay and look at that funny little version of a good old downeast lobster boat. Then of course we met Les......

Say no more the guy is a phenomenon. The new baby is in his shop now being fitted with lots of "stuff" thanks to a personal delivery from the Factory Man. Only gripe I have is that my wife turned up 10 minutes after it got there and saw it first !!

And, Yes I did see what looked like a C Dory at the Seattle show, went on board, was treated with courtesy even though I explained that I had decided on the CD22. No adverse soment, only respect.

Now we have to find a name and get some picture space and get out and enjoy the great NW.

Thanks to all and keep up the good work

Merv (aka Grumpy) and Kathy
Jeff M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Merv,

I had a chance to meet your wife Kathy on Tuesday at EQ Marine. It was fun for me to see the smile on her face and to hear the excitement in her voice. I think it was great that she saw the boat before you Very Happy Enjoy your new C-Dory!

Thank you,

Jeff

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark,
Congratulations on your new purchase.
I started to buy an Arima. A friend had a 17' Sea Ranger, we took that boat 50+ miles out for albacore several times. The Arimas are great and tried boats.
You were (and still are) always welcome here.
There is a difference when someone, such as yourself and Jimbo, buys another brand boat and quietly remains on board with this group and when someone buys another brand of boat and continues to post when asked to cease and desist- in so many words.

Hope to see you on the water some time.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Patty definitely remembers the day you and your family came by to look at Daydream the CD22...hope everything works out well for you!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sark, i knew you would join the club one day. I think you will really like the way the boat handles in the ruff stuff compared to your last boat. When is the delivery date and what are you putting on it? fishtales what about nice?
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: options etc.. Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Pat,

I remember well too, as my wife's battery was acting up on her then new to her car, and we used your trusty jumper box. We liked Daydream, but really wanted a single and a kicker. And yes it has been an interesting journey. That is why I say full circle,I was so close to buying a Cdory last time.

Tom,

Well, it has all the standard stuff. Wallas, high top, tall radar arch, trim tabs, swim step, Forward facing seat conversion etc... Also has a fresh water washdown. I think we are going to go with a grey hull. There will be some other features and options but you 'll just have to see for yourself. Are you fishing this weekend?

Sark
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark --
Welcome aboard -- looking forward to meeting you at the Gatherings next year. These are great little boats and we're sure you'll enjoy yours as much as we have our Halcyon. [/quote]

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark:

It could always be worse: a fellow I know looked a C-Dory when they first came out and thought about it, and then proceded to go through 2 large and very expensive Boston Whalers and 2 smaller ones only to come back to the C-Dory at twice the price many years later . . .

If you're like me you'll be "inventing" reasons to use it! Good luck!
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

Thanks for your kind words. Sorry I missed you, but Kathy came home "bubbling". Good job that Les does not live next door or I would be in there "jus' looking", every day. Instead I will leave him in peace to do his thing and then bug the heck out of the good people on this site to find out how they did all those good things to their boats.

Merv (Grumpy) and Kathy
Redƒox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Circle Reply with quote

ArimaSark wrote:
It's been a long journey, and I've learned alot along the way. I've made some freinds, and probably made a couple people angry( although that was not my intention)

.... not to worry, did that with all my "YAMAHA campanin" AKA "the dark side" years ago, and still doin it Thumbs Up ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: